Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Nordana Castle, North Tower

This is the north tower of Nordana Castle, sometimes also called Nordana Hall. The castle is located in Avalonia and is the ancient seat of the earls of Norshire, from which Sir Gideon the half-elf has his human blood through his mother (as described in my character intro).

Adjacent to the north tower are the kitchen and a storehouse. On this side of the courtyard is also the sacred tree, which has stood here since before the earls of Norshire built the castle and is also what the tree on their coat of arms is based on. Other guilds don't call Avalonians 'tree-huggers' without reason.

Other modules:

South Tower

Gatehouse

Great hall

12393144623_9ee545d650_z.jpg

12393153973_b7f6629269_z.jpg

12393147695_9201d809d2_z.jpg

The small Klint river runs past Nordana Castle and acts as part of the moat of the castle. By the north tower the river is flowing rapidly down, to later calm down around the front of the castle.

12393647613_9d4db45004_z.jpg

Sacred Avalonian tree. (Loosely inspired by the CMF Forest Maiden shield)

12393304303_b404fb9533_z.jpg

North tower together with the gatehouse:

12394931244_5a0e50f633_z.jpg

For this module I'd like to claim the following University of Petraea credits:

- Landscape Design: Tree (2/3)

- Landscape Design: Studs up rocks and cliffs

- Hydrology: Flowing water

C&C welcome!

Third module for my Swebrick Medieval community build castle, adapted for the Guilds of Historica setting.

Edit: Picture of the whole castle finally uploaded to flickr!

12505088033_f8b9136ec1_z.jpg

Edited by Gideon

Just finished looking through your flickr pictures of this. Amazing. This part is just as spectacular as the rest.

Another excellent addition! I love the tree :thumbup:

Edited by Torgar

This section is awesome! For some reason I really love that vine crawling up the walls. As always your wall texture is gorgeous! :thumbup:

+1 for all credits.

Cross-shaped arrow slits: :oh:*oh2*:oh3::excited::purrr:

You'll probably tell me it's a regular piece I've never seen before or something super simple and I'll feel like an idiot, but they're great. As is the rest of it.

Edited by nstickney

"Loosely inspired by the CMF Forest Maiden shield"

Loosely indeed, she should be so lucky to see such a beautiful tree :wink:

One thing that stood out to me about this section, is the interior building (s), they look great and add some nice color to the backside of the tower/walls :thumbup:

Your windows set in half a stud look fantastic, you must have quite a few curved slopes for those (or do you use panels?). The vines climbing the tower look very natural as does the massive tree :wub:

I really like your castle when I first saw it in another post (I think it was a exhibition post)

Now you are showing it section by section, really appreciate it. Nice work all around.

Edited by songwm

Wow, I actually hadn't hought you could amaze us even more with your already excellent other modules, but this is even more awesome!

This is fantastic Gideon! The detail is beautiful, and the creation is awesome! Your rockwork is nice, and the tower is fantastic! I love the whole module when you put it together with the gatehouse! I would run out of bricks after just the tall tower. :P

This is awesome! I love the MOC! So great, awesome work Gideon! The tree is amazing! How many studs is the base? I'd love to know.

That tree...and everything else of course, but that tree...

I think that this is my favorite of the sections thus far....the tower and the tree just look great with the build. +1 for all credits

Once again thank you all guys for your overwhelming words! :classic:

Cross-shaped arrow slits: :oh:*oh2*:oh3::excited::purrr:

You'll probably tell me it's a regular piece I've never seen before or something super simple and I'll feel like an idiot, but they're great. As is the rest of it.

It's a technique I saw being used a couple of years ago, so I made sure I ordered a lot of 1x1 and 1x2 cheese slopes and 1x1 bricks with studs on the side in my first LUGBULK 2 years ago :wink:

It's actually a quite simple technique, which as you can see in some parts of the castle also works well for shorter (2 studs long) straight arrow slits as well as longer (4 studs) arrow slits using two 1x2 cheese slopes after each other.

The drawback is that especially the 1x2 cheese slopes have a tendency to tilt somewhat. I remedy this on the towers without interior by simply putting black bricks as support on the back, but on the walls or the towers with interior space I'm left to having to check that they havn't rotated. Sadly I missed that in some places while I was busy moving the modules around for photography, I hope not too many people notice :wink:

One thing that stood out to me about this section, is the interior building (s), they look great and add some nice color to the backside of the tower/walls :thumbup:

Your windows set in half a stud look fantastic, you must have quite a few curved slopes for those (or do you use panels?). The vines climbing the tower look very natural as does the massive tree :wub:

Thanks SK!

I had planned on more interior buildings, but I had to finish the castle in time for the Swebrick fall exhibition and ran out of time... If I keep the castle together for this year's exhibition as well I will probably replace the tree and the low kitchen with some more elaborate buildings.

For this build, I had not yet discovered the technique of using curved slopes to offset windows (I actually learned that from a friend at the very exhibition I built this castle for), so here I have been using panels. I have however used curved slopes to offset windows outwards a couple of times after that (here and here).

I really like your castle when I first saw it in another post (I think it was a exhibition post)

Now you are showing it section by section, really appreciate it. Nice work all around.

Yes, there you actually were able to see it in its proper context with about 18x4 32x32 baseplates additional landscape (forests and more) attached to it. I assumed correctly however that not all had seen all the details when I posted those so-so pictures, so I figured I should take proper photos of each module :classic:

This is awesome! I love the MOC! So great, awesome work Gideon! The tree is amazing! How many studs is the base? I'd love to know.

The base of each module is 48x64 studs, which makes the whole castle 96x128 studs (3x4 32x32 baseplates).