Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[SoNE Ep II Free build] A Long Time Ago...

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Note: this is part 2 of the story - please read part 1 first: FUBAR

A Long Time Ago...

2 years BBY:

10781608234_34b3796caf_z.jpg

After graduating from the academy, I served my first two tours of duty on the Vigilant. We patrolled the Outer Rim, protecting the hyperspace lanes from pirates and stopping smugglers.

10781779593_09efef129d_z.jpg

Marla joined our squad a few weeks after I did. We got along well - we both came from backwater planets and we shared the same twisted sense of humor.

10792198374_42537e031e_z.jpg

Our primary duty was to board suspicious ships, make sure the scanning crew didn't get lost on the way to the cargo hold, and watch their backs while they waved their electronic wands and popped crates.

10781667364_e4b8606e9d_z.jpg

Nice work, fellas.

10781619874_87fd290900_z.jpg

On the job we were cold professionals clad in gleaming white armor. Back on the ship, well...

10781529525_4d79c743ae_b.jpg

We were just kids, really. Most of us had volunteered (or been conscripted) at 17 or 18; for many of the troopers, the Vigilant was their first time off-planet.

10781657284_d7587efa17_z.jpg

The last time I saw Marla, we were preparing to board separate shuttles to head to our respective home planets. Our entire platoon was being transferred to the new battle station, and we'd been given 5 days leave between assignments.

The last day of leave, I boarded a transport to the troop staging point on [redacted] That afternoon, our hyperdrive failed and we reverted to realspace in an unoccupied and remote part of the expansion region. We spent 3 days floating in space while they fixed the drive.

When I finally reached [redacted], I learned that both Alderaan and the "Death Star" had been destroyed. My entire platoon, everyone I'd known and worked with for the past 2 years, had boarded the battle station 2 days prior to it's destruction. I assumed Marla had died with them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Behind the scenes:

10781678554_05a61ca121_z.jpg

I know this is a very unorthodox build, but I had a lot of back-story I wanted to fit into one free build. I am not asking for this build to be judged.

I used the awesome instructions by Primus as the starting point for my frigate, although I think I made some very nice modifications.

The star background in the first picture is from NASA.

I like how the story is progressing and the MOC scenes are fantastic! Keep up the great work. I'll be waiting for the next chapter. :wub_drool:

Love the story and the build, and it's seriously amazing how you did the window in the last shot. It looked like an excellent Photoshop at first, but it's actually there in the set. :thumbup: :thumbup:

These builds are very nice and also is the story. I think you could simply seperate the build in multiple MOCs and have them judged!

Great build! MstrOfPppts is right, you could probably split up these scenes and have them judged. Photos are great too! Well done! :thumbup::wub:

Not a huge fan of the explicit scene on the Vigilant, but other than that these are great! Your story is really good too. I know I'm not the only one who wants Marla to still be alive somehow!

Edited by MKJoshA

Some really great scenes you've made there, the shot with the planet outside is just brilliant...I spent a moment trying to figure out how you had managed to photoshop the realistic reflection effects in the window frame before I saw in the last pic that it actually was a Lego planet :wink:

Well done, hope you get scores for each scene!

Thanks for all the encouragement - this build took quite a while so I'm glad you guys liked it!

I messed around with many different camera settings and lighting set-ups before I ended up with the final shot of the planet in the window - I think that's also my favorite part of the build.

I thought about separating these into individual scenes / entries, but my week ended up crazier that expected and I was barely able to finish my official entry before the deadline. Ah well, next time :classic:

Well for the freebuilds you still have time until the results are out. Also the story doesn't need to be in time order, you could first show the episode entry and then told what had happened ...

I'm a fan! :) Great story and very well done scenes! I like the level of detail you have crammed in on what looks like a 24 stud long Nebulon B, very creative :thumbup: Please post a few more pics of it so I can compare it to my own 23 stud version :)

I'm a fan! :) Great story and very well done scenes! I like the level of detail you have crammed in on what looks like a 24 stud long Nebulon B, very creative :thumbup: Please post a few more pics of it so I can compare it to my own 23 stud version :)

Thanks! She's 25 studs, not counting the blue engine bits. I uploaded a few more pics on my flickr stream: http://www.flickr.co...otos/dr--gonzo/

I'd love to see some pics of yours as well!

Edited by LucasLaughing

The lighting and photography are what really compliments this great build. All of the scenes could easily be seperate MOCs. Love that frigate, too.

GREAT story, and GREAT builds. Thanks so much for including that behind-the-scenes shot with the planet in the background. Genius!