Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOC: Soup Kitchen/Flop House

My Lego Town is continuing it's economically downward trajectory with this addition of a Soup Kitchen/Flop House. It's in a run down part of town and it helps the locals who rely on it being open 24/7. Cheap wholesome food served hot!

9528502109_99134608a2_c.jpg

The facade is crumbling and there's some masonary in the sidewalk, the bricks are discolored (Yay for second hand bricks!), the drainpipes don't join in the middle, and the signwriters printer hasn't yet created a suitable sign ( :sceptic:)

From the rear

9528501985_d8e3f31c0d_c.jpg

Rickety steps leading up to the Flophouse entrance, the dumpster, and some graffiti artist admiring their work.

9528502033_491dc11fae_c.jpg

Yep! It's a Banksy!

Here's the ground floor

9528501845_7223afb40b_c.jpg

Soda machine, bathroom, microwave, entrance lobby, bench seating, fully fitted kitchen - complete with big freezer, fridge, 6-ring burner, sink and storage.

9528501753_fa06cfa262_c.jpg

Wall mounted, large old-school TV tuned to a local station. Twin cup holders. Friendly service.

9528501637_1b04aa6547_c.jpg

The soda machine

Upstairs the Flop House/Cheap Hotel

9531281998_2d4ce36175_c.jpg

Three bedrooms, one wash room, check in desk (complete with a dead rubber plant on top of some shelves).

Here's the Soup Kitchen/Flop House next to my rundown Bar (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79480) / Taco Truck (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77566)

9531281792_ee292bf033_c.jpg

I hope you like it and criticisms/suggestions/comments are welcome!

I like the hole in the facade - you filled it up nicely! It's a good building and it looks very nice together with the bar.

Cool and detailed facade. Looks like a realistic drabantbuilding. I love the grafitti, how did you make it?

I am so happy you are looking after your poor :classic:

Beyond that, this was very well done!

It's quite realistic of the rundown buildings in Saint Louis.... :sceptic:

I'm on the other side of the state between Joplin and Kansas City. I try and build what I see - so I guess this is midwestern low income architecture.

I love the grafitti, how did you make it?

I'd like to be able to claim credit for it, but it was a freebie sticker when my wife bought a bigger sticker for her laptop. As soon as I saw it I knew what I was going to use it for and finally I had a building that I could use it on. The dumpster's been tagged as well with another random sticker I found on some second hand bricks.

But isnt kitchen too small?)

Not for a soup kitchen! :laugh:

Thanks for the comments....

Nice! I like the broken downpipe and how you have recessed and angled the entrance.

Excellent designing there 'eurotrash'.....gee, your town is getting quite rundown eh ? :grin:

Lots of detailing......that's what I like to see, nice realism. :wink:

I can't wait to see what's next in that street......Brick On 'eurotrash' ! :grin:

Nice looking modular build! You did really well on the details inside the house! The graffiti design is looking good too!

WOW! Very, maybe... too, realistic???!

With the state of our infrastructure, all of the US will look like this soon. You will have to teach us how to build rundown/falling down buildings for sure.

I'd like to be able to claim credit for it, but it was a freebie sticker when my wife bought a bigger sticker for her laptop. As soon as I saw it I knew what I was going to use it for and finally I had a building that I could use it on. The dumpster's been tagged as well with another random sticker I found on some second hand bricks.

The graffiti seems to cast a shadow on the wall. What caused that?

The graffiti seems to cast a shadow on the wall. What caused that?

It's the combination of a low sun angle almost at zero degrees to the wall - check out the loooooong shadow of the graffiti artist and the sheer thickness of the sticker. It's like a car decal and it's definitely got volume. Hence, the shadow.

My favorite part is the angled entryway. That is really clever. I'd like to see that incorporated more often into builds.

The run down nature is definitely something not seen too often in the LEGO cities. To be honest, I haven't seen too many real life buildings like that, but I don't go into neighborhoods like that, so I'm sure they are out there.

Keep up the good work!

It's quite realistic of the rundown buildings in Saint Louis.... :sceptic:

No I think there are more bricks falling off the buildings here in St. Louis than the creator of this MOC has. I like the old fashioned piping system you have running down the right side of the building. The inset angled door is something I haven't seen on a lot of MOCs either. Nice touches.

Really different and really nice MOC eurotrash. Love the cheap beds. Never heard of flop house before is that similar to back packers which we have here down under?

Edited by Aussie BJ

Never heard of flop house before is that similar to back a packers which we have here down under?

Think Elwood Blues' place from the Blues Brothers (before Carrie Fisher blew the building up)

We call them Doss-houses in the UK, and Flop-houses over here in the US. They're low cost, offering little services except for a bed to transients, seasonal workers and travellers on an extreme budget. They're not normally in the best part of city - and so they had to make an appearance in my Lego town!

Thanks for all the comments!

Edited by eurotrash

Nice modular, and a very different idea which is always good to see.... :classic: I like your detail in the interior and the run down effect on the exterior is very well done!!

I see it's had an accident in the other thread, so I'm off there to comment on that :grin:

Very interesting moc. It has a very realistic run-down appearance, especially with all those 'multicoloured grey' bricks. Maybe you should make the pavement slightly decaying as well. The graffiti is a nice and fitting touch at the back side.

Well done!

Fantasic! Im new here, and have this idea to create my first layout of the area of all towns doesn't dare go, probably with an apt name like Cheapside! Great to see someone else with the same mind!