RednWhite

Does watching a Star Wars film inspire you to buy Lego?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi

At the weekend I watched the second prequel film with my kids and then watched the third prequel on my own as it was on.

Like many Star Wars fans, I didn't particular like the three prequel films - too much talk about trade agreements, federations, democracy and the republic - I get that when I watch the BBC news - Star Wars should be about escapism.

I have a few Star Wars sets - all from the original trilogy. I look at the sets from the prequels but they don't really interest me. I don't recognise the spaceships - they don't seem very inconic compared to the X wing, the MF and the Tie fighter.

Anyway, enough rambling, I found myself looking at the Lego sets from episodes 2 and 3 and looking at the Jedi interceptor from the 3rd film and liking the look of the set and thinking about buying it. I'm not sure there is much else in the whole range from the prequel films that interest me but I wondered whether anyone else finds that occasionally their purchases are driven by watching the films?

Nowadays, indirectly, yes. Sometimes I watch a movie, and then I get inspired to build an MOC from the movie, and while building that MOC I might buy a set because it has a lot of parts and minifigs I can use. But I can't really say that I've been inspired to buy a set to have the model of something from a set, at least not in a few years. It's probably a combination of the fact that I build any models I want, the fact that I've watched and read enough about Star Wars and its universe for long enough that I'm past the stage where I discover subjects in the movies prominent enough to be suitable for sets, and the fact that as a FOL I've already gone through the stage where I bought the majority of the vehicles in sets I wanted. (Most of which have since been improved, but that doesn't interest me anymore since I'm going to part them out anyways.) But between, I think, 2004 (when I seriously became interested in Star Wars and its EU) and 2009 (when I started to MOC a lot more), I definitely would be inspired to buy a set (or wish that such a set was produced) after seeing the subject in a movie.

Well, I'm nuts about Star Wars anyway, and SW LEGO just seems to be a natural match for me and my family. The films don'n necessarily make me go and get a set ( I would already gotten the ones I wanted anyway). The movies or even the music does give me incredible inspiration to bulid a set, however. :laugh: Sometimes I will make a MOC if there is not a set available for a particular scene or vehicle, though.

I agree with that what brickdoctor and only sinner said.

And of course it's logic that if you have watched e.g. ANH, that you then desire the falcon more than for example the AT-TE.

As brickdoctor,only sinner and TWP have said I just like the Lego sets anyway and I personally feel that the movies don't enspire me to get the sets.

It kind of goes both ways. I think I am more prone to pop in and watch a Star Wars movie while I am building a Star Wars set, than I am prone to run out and get a Star Wars set after watching a movie.

When i was a kid we had kenner with all those SW vehicles and actionfigures. That was pure love for me back then. My other love was Lego and i used to build at-st's and other spaceships from Lego for my kenner action figures. So the day i found out lego was making SWsets i wanted those.

Thus for me i would say a mix of movies and melancholy inspire me to buy sets.

The clone wars series was really nice, what made me eventually like the prequels too. And that's why i bought some of the cwsets or prequelsets.

I once had around 35 stormtroopers and the other half told me I had too many so I cut down to 2 of each variant and after watching the films I always regret that I now have 'so few'!

Watching the movies does make me want to buy lego sets. I had budgeted myself how much I was going to spend this year on lego then the Ewok Village was introduced. I was skeptial about getting it given the price but then I decided to watch episode six to compare the details between the movie version and the lego set and it hooked me. Now im definitely buying that set and the same can be said for the sail barge too.

I watched episodes II & III at the weekend too - it seems every-time I see them they get worse :sick:.

Watching the films doesn't affect or influence my Lego buying. I mostly collect OT sets and pretty much know which ones I'm going to buy when I see them, ie the ones that I think look good and the crap ones that have good minifigs (so most of them then).

But, watching the films does give me renewed interest in all the amazing SW MOCs I'm going to build, I may plan parts of them out in LDD or sort out some pieces that I'm going to need, then all too soon, life or a good film will distract me and before you know it another year has passed and Star Wars is back on TV again and I've built nothing! :grin:

Ah well, at least we've got Episode IV to look forward too next week :wink: .

Hi

definitely yes. Even i am an OT fan, i stil like the idea having a gunship when looking at EP2.

A set what i would buy for any money would be the final duel on Mustafar when Oni is above loving Anakin, and Anakin is on the ground hating Obi. Yes, i am still a real OT fan, but this scence gave me more goosebumps than the iconic "I am your father",

Dino

It doesn't really make me want to buy Lego, but it does make me want to build MOC's from the films I watch!

+1

I've already collected all of the older sets I missed out on while in my Dark Ages, and I already know what sets I want to buy when they come out; so watching the movies doesn't motivate me to buy anything new. But the movies do inspire me to try my hand at a MOC; or I'll open and build a set that's been sitting in my closet waiting for the right time.

As I get older and the more I watch the films the more I dislike them, I sometimes feel like watching them on mute! I think on paper the prequels are awesome and thats why the sets still do ok with the afols. My dad got me into Star Wars via the OT and then I grew up on the prequels so I love both for their own reasons but it's painful to watch the newer films in certain places. The kid in me is glad to own lego qui gon and watto and there is something so awesome about the palpatine from palpatines arrest

This topic is quickly straying into "I hate the prequels" territory... :sceptic:

To answer the question, watching the Saga definitely makes me want to buy the latest wave of sets. Since most Star Wars sets usually shoot straight to the top of my "must-have" list anyway, I wouldn't say that watching the films changes my desire to buy a particular set, but it does reinforce the decision. 10236 is a great example of that; I was already dead set on buying it when it was announced, but watching ROTJ the other week only made me imagine the possibilities even more.

I watched episode III last year and the part during order 66 when Aayla is killed made me want an at-pt, and oddly playing lego star wars 3 had me thinking of collecting one of each vehicle, prequel-wise it's the republic clone wars vehicles that really grab me

The appearance alone doesn't work for me, to make me want to have a Lego set of the scene. It has to be 'cool' and of course I couldn't put into words what exactly my trigger is. Let me give you examples:

The 'Clone Wars' Gunship appearances = YAY - - but the 'The Clone Wars' or Episode II gunship appearances = NAY

ANH and ESB Falcon appearances = YAY - - but RotJ Falcon = NAY

Delta 7 JSF in Episode II = YAY - - but Delta 7 JSF in CW = NAY

So I believe the answer is yes, specific scenes make want to re-play or re-imagine. But it seems more about the vibe and feel a scene gives me, less about the actual ship / model.

A set what i would buy for any money would be the final duel on Mustafar (...)

@Dino - isn't 9494 the set you are looking for? I know there is no stream of lava and no rocks, but the figures and droids, you could create a small 8x8 diorama pretty easily and play "I have the high ground!"

For me it's really just that the films inspire me to build a particular vehicle or location, which in turn inspires me to maybe buy some more bricks. So it's not a direct link; if I've got the pieces I need already or I'm temporarily low on funds I'll put aside my inspiration.

Sometimes it does. ROTJ makes me look forward to the Ewok Village that comes out in September. I really wanted that playset from Kenner when I was a kid. I did not have any Star Wars toys growing up as a kid, due to my upbringin, so I really missed out. It is kind off a sad story. Anyway, it does inspire me to either build a MOC or purchase a set....even though it may not be right away.

I find that whevever I watch a Star Wars film, whether Prequel Trilogy or Original Trilogy. I get this inspiration to build or create a minifig or ship or scene in Lego. But don't know why I don't take it to the next stage of actually making a custom MOC.

Then the marketing is obviously doing its job right if you suddenly want to go buy them! ;)

Truthfully, not really. I just remind myself about how expensive the film was to make, and in return how expensive the LEGO sets are to fund the making of the film. Though I can't deny the first couple times I was VERY tempted...

I have to admit, that whenever I watch a Star Wars film, I have the urge to buy a set. This is what cost me so much money over the past few months. Heh. On the other side, I have to say "How often does getting a Lego Star Wars set make you want to watch the movies?"

Well, not the movies, but definitely the show TCW made me go on clone spending spree. My hunger for a bigger clone army is never satisfied now

Edited by TheWolffe

For me, building lego star wars makes me want to watch the movies ^^

I watched the entire OT for both the ewok village and death star construction !

Then watching the movies makes me want to buy more...

And so on !

Edited by TheCrazyHeadGamer