legoman666

My take on the Santa Fe. Also my first MOC...

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Hi all,

First train MOC since I got back in to LEGO about 1.5 years ago. Finally got the space to do a permanent layout in the basement. Just need to set up some tables or make a workstation.

Here it is!

Ylr2CSlh.jpg

I redid the cow catcher at the last second. I changed it from 6 wide to 8. Much better this way. Allowed me to curve it more gracefully. Not happy with the headlight. I couldn't decide how to make it better though. It needs to be bigger.

P9J56aJh.jpg

I didn't know I had so many 1x2 light grey grills....

hnTbcc3h.jpg

I'm thinking the cover over the rear door needs to be raised a little to bring it closer to the roof.

JSXtRbah.jpg

The windows took some SNOT work to get right. They're a little high on the chassis, but changing them would require tearing apart the whole thing.

3TFUuVZh.jpg

This engine is like... enormous compared the rest of my layout and trains. It completely dwarfs everything.

TjUgDGKh.jpg

If you open the door in the back, there's a little 9v battery box that powers....

vVOv4NWh.jpg

An M-PF motor that turns all 4 cooling fans! All they need are some decals.

That's all. Rolls around turns pretty nicely. It's a bit heavy though.

Very nice work, especially for a first MOC, legoman666! Nice choice going 8W. I really like how you angled the windshield. Haven't seen that done before :classic:

Very nice work, especially for a first MOC, legoman666! Nice choice going 8W. I really like how you angled the windshield. Haven't seen that done before :classic:

Thanks! It was the only way I could think to do it on an 8-wide. The windshield on the Lego official set runs about $20-30 on Bricklink. I don't like the red pieces I have in front of it. Doesn't look smooth enough.

Nice work. The fans are great. But I also like how you did the windows. A very clever yet simple way to get those nice angles.

Thanks! It was the only way I could think to do it on an 8-wide. The windshield on the Lego official set runs about $20-30 on Bricklink. I don't like the red pieces I have in front of it. Doesn't look smooth enough.

It definitely works. I can't believe that one piece is that expensive. I really need on for a train MOC I made, but since it's not based on any real loco, it's definitely not worth that price. It is too bad they don't have a piece to better fit the split between the windshields, but that's probably the only solution unless you glue some of those small wedges together. Even then, I don't know if that would work :classic:

Is that windscreen part really that expensive? Yay I own an overpriced part! And very nice loco, though it is a bit tall. But its a great detail to have the fans move.

It definitely works. I can't believe that one piece is that expensive. I really need on for a train MOC I made, but since it's not based on any real loco, it's definitely not worth that price. It is too bad they don't have a piece to better fit the split between the windshields, but that's probably the only solution unless you glue some of those small wedges together. Even then, I don't know if that would work :classic:

Well, red with undetermined glass is ~$27 (6567c00), with trans clear glass is ~$20 (6567c01), and with with trans black glass is ~3 (6567c02). So if you are not trying to completely recreate the superchief set, you can get the red windscreen at a reasonable price.

You could also resort to stickers,

117436.jpg

Well, red with undetermined glass is ~$27 (6567c00), with trans clear glass is ~$20 (6567c01), and with with trans black glass is ~3 (6567c02). So if you are not trying to completely recreate the superchief set, you can get the red windscreen at a reasonable price.

I completely forgot that came in a trans black! That is great news, fortunately I was able to buy a Superchief during it's run. I think the trans black would work quite well :classic:

Very good idea with the windows, the way you have worked them in there and so good to see all that working fans and stuff. Will look really good if you can get some details on them like you said. Really good effort for a first attempt as well! Look forward to seeing your future builds.

i have seen the actual super chief F7, and I must say, this is an amazing recreation! The angled windshield fits very well, and was one of the features that stood out when I first saw it, along with being a little tall, but that's not a concern.

All in all, an excellent MOC!

i have seen the actual super chief F7, and I must say, this is an amazing recreation! The angled windshield fits very well, and was one of the features that stood out when I first saw it, along with being a little tall, but that's not a concern.

All in all, an excellent MOC!

Thanks! I'm working on the 2nd car now, the cabless booster (I had to look up what it was called). I will also shorten the cab by about.... 1 brick hopefully. It will take a lot of work though. I just ordered the 1x4 curved roof pieces to make the booster and a few cars. I will post pictures when I have them

I have the super-chief, too, and I think legoman666 did a great job. I think I must have missed something somewhere along the way, but I discovered that you can order this piece:

6215.jpg?0

In bley and red from LEGO S@H Pick-A-Brick; the original uses old light gray, as do the cars from the sets, but I could not afford the sets and built them from parts. However, that part in light gray on bricklink was very expensive - around $0.75 or more (for those with higher quantities), and years ago (when I built the engine and then the cars from parts), it was not available from S@H in light gray. Considering you need 32 to build a car, and 14 to build the engine, it was prohibitively expensive ordering from BL.

I'd built an alternative roof, similar to yours, but it made it a little bit taller. I eventually settled on using black as an alternate color.

However, I just wanted to let people know, if they are building the sets from parts (I know yours is original, of course), you can order copious amounts of those in bley from S@H now. In this case, it would prevent the ability to do spinning fans - I'm not suggesting a change to this MOC, just thought it would be a good opportunity to let people know, if they were unaware, that these are available now.

I have the super-chief, too, and I think legoman666 did a great job. I think I must have missed something somewhere along the way, but I discovered that you can order this piece:

6215.jpg?0

In bley and red from LEGO S@H Pick-A-Brick; the original uses old light gray, as do the cars from the sets, but I could not afford the sets and built them from parts. However, that part in light gray on bricklink was very expensive - around $0.75 or more (for those with higher quantities), and years ago (when I built the engine and then the cars from parts), it was not available from S@H in light gray. Considering you need 32 to build a car, and 14 to build the engine, it was prohibitively expensive ordering from BL.

I'd built an alternative roof, similar to yours, but it made it a little bit taller. I eventually settled on using black as an alternate color.

However, I just wanted to let people know, if they are building the sets from parts (I know yours is original, of course), you can order copious amounts of those in bley from S@H now. In this case, it would prevent the ability to do spinning fans - I'm not suggesting a change to this MOC, just thought it would be a good opportunity to let people know, if they were unaware, that these are available now.

I hadn't even considered those. I might look in to using them for the passenger cars. They don't have fans so using em won't hinder anything. I've been using these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6081 at a cost of about $0.85 each in bley. Thanks for the info! I have a few items in my cart at Shop@home that need ordering anyway.

npGqP3E.jpg

Updated the front of the engine. Looks a lot better. Working on the booster now.

Edited by legoman666

Still working on this:

yIsgnLf.jpg

4i6plL1.jpg

3OjqOkZ.jpg

Planning on adding at least two more cars. Just finished rough draft of the first passenger car. No interior yet, missing a few pieces, etc.

Edited by legoman666

wZarIqOh.jpg

q1Jj2JNh.jpg

fEfFF88h.jpg

I motorized the booster unit. Each truck is powered by an XL motor. The only non-Lego "part" is a couple drops of 3-1 oil.

YsaAZ1Uh.jpg

I managed to cram in 2 XL motors, the big AA battery box and the infrared receiver all inside without too many changes to my original design. The only thing I had to redo was the method by which I did the SNOT on the round arch windows.

65EakP7h.jpg

I also finished another passenger dining car.

vuqDh8Hh.jpg

The motors and batteries were originally going to be in this car, but I couldn't build a small enough truck that was strong enough to withstand an XL motor and push my heavy train. During my trials, I had to resort to a lot of SNOT trickery to do this and it ended up not working anyway, but I kept the SNOT since I spent so long on it.

43SeLgkh.jpg

Inside are many passengers enjoying coffee and other adult beverages. The kitchen area was mostly pilfered from my Horizon Express with some minor modifications.

HWB4afWh.jpg

I still need to add the lamps on the right hand side of the car.

qiZnYgmh.jpg

Someone clean up this mess....