1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• - Poor
    • - Below Average
    • - Average
    • - Above Average
    • - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_62.png

8595762147_4daac542b8_o.jpg

Wow, are we already to Iron Man 3? Has it really been a year since Avengers? I guess it has. But I was interested in the whole Iron Man 3 line when I first saw pictures of it. Who doesn't want a set with two exclusive figures?! The boat looked fairly lackluster, but I was willing to wait and see for myself when I got the set. Would the boat appeal to me? Would the strange color minifigure be explained? Read on!

Set Information:

Name: Extremis Sea Port Battle

Set Number: 76006

Pieces: 195

Price: $19.99

Ages: 6-12

Minifigs: 3

Theme: Iron Man 3

Year of Release: 2013

Bricklink

Brickset

S@H

Flickr Set

Box:

8585521389_3e34b20e78_o.jpg

So, on the front of the box we have an excellent, cleanly laid out image of the set. In the bottom left, we have images of all three figures included in the set, LEGO has even thought to show Iron Man's and War Machine's heads. The upper right corner sports a very nice drawing of a LEGO Iron Man in a great action pose.

8586621162_7183d1afd5_o.jpg

Moving to the back of the box, the red color scheme, the same color as the Iron Man suit, becomes more apparent, and I think the color is really fitting. LEGO has also placed images of the functions of the set on the back, as well as an alternate action scene.

8585521165_4871b0724a_o.jpg

Our 1:1 image is of the Mark 42 Iron Man suit. I believe this is a render of the suit, and the blue, computer screen colored back ground fits very well with the setting. I've also noticed that this guy has no 1x1 plates on his hands, the Avengers set that had a 1:1 image of Iron Man did.

8586620986_bc8907f1fe_o.jpg

On the left side of the box is an image of the Mark 42 suit, this time a drawing from the movie studio. It really captures some great action, and the suit looks really appealing.

Contents:

8586620872_f367a991f6_o.jpg

There were two numbered bags, as well as the manual, comic book, and the sticker sheet. Sadly, the paper items in my set were rather wrinkled, nothing a few hours under a book didn't fix though.

8585520915_a002d0aff7_o.jpg

Six small stickers are all that is included sticker wise. Nothing super special, and all add to the set if you ask me.

8586619622_833cd6587d_o.jpg

The windscreen and the dark green slope piece were the only two that stuck out to me. The dark green piece is exclusive to the set, but the windscreen has been around for a few years.

8585519773_7b859a2c00_o.jpg

Twelve extra parts were that was included in the set. I was rather surprised to see the trans clear 1x1 rounds included in the set, the Avengers sets that came with Iron Man did not include those.

Manual:

8586620702_16b927f3cc_o.jpg

On the front of the manual is the same art as the box cover, minus of course the set information. LEGO's layout of the set is superb as always.

8585520765_b758094e50_o.jpg

The background color of the manual is a nice soft blue. I think chosen because of Tony's computers. It works very nicely. There's also a quick reference to the glow in the dark head of Killian.

8585520667_67a3a04a8e_o.jpg

In the upper corner, we have what I am going to refer to as ghost printing, the Mandarin and the Mark 42 armor.

8586620418_ac3a348c30_o.jpg

Lastly, there's a one page spread for the LEGO Marvel Superheroes game.

Comic Book:

8586620306_d146f2007b_o.jpg

Now, for those of you that are avoiding movie spoilers, scroll down now. I braved the comic and it wasn't all that bad actually.

8585520387_2241426b3e_o.jpg

BADOOM!!!

8586620132_b553488b3e_o.jpg

SWOOOOSH

8586620012_634f2f13ff_o.jpg

ZZZZAT!!!

8585520097_9a3f1489ec_o.jpg

BLAMMO!

8586619840_0020e394f5_o.jpg

THOOOM!

8585519885_3ff6a1b5bf_o.jpg

The back of the comic book has a very nice image of all of the Marvel Superheroes arrayed nicely.

Minifigures:

8585519731_bd5ceea984_o.jpg

All three figures in this set are new. (Two are exclusive, and Iron Man only comes in one other set.) I personally find the boot printing on Iron Man and War Machine quite good looking. It looks like Killian has a gun in the movie, but LEGO doesn't want to give him one that actually resembles it. Not that I have anything against this gun though. :tongue:

8585519645_b87375135b_o.jpg

All three figures have some back print. LEGO has also come up with a simple yet effective gun that hangs over War Machine's shoulder.

8586619334_dcba94b50f_o.jpg

This is the first set where we get a War Machine so we also get a brand new head for Rhodey. The lines printed under his eyes make him look old, other than that it looks great. Tony's face print is also new. I'm not sure if I really like the cocky expression Tony has, it doesn't seem fitting for how he is in the movies.

8596868302_edecde26d9_o.jpg

Quick comparison with the other two suits. This one definitely has more gold in it, and also seems a slightly less busy than the Mark 7. I also prefer the round reactor to the triangular one.

8585518583_8c2e4523cc_o.jpg

Killian's head glows in the dark. Not the best picture but photographing GITD is hard. :grin:

8585518215_c9cb2c28bb_o.jpg

There were no pictures of Killian's serum face, so I just used his poster. The hair is questionable, the buzz cut might be a bit more accurate, but this hair piece works too. The suit is simple, but matches the movie quite well.

8585518081_f74864e574_o.jpg

Iron Man in this set is in his Mark 42 suit. (I was unable to find a name for it.) However, it has much more gold in it that past versions of the suit. Comparing the two I really like what LEGO has done design wise here. The gold hands take some getting used to but I think they're more accurate. A very nice LEGO representation of the movie suit.

8586617906_c5bd5a5eef_o.jpg

Sadly, I was unable to find any images of this version of War Machine. This bust was the best thing I found. Comparing the two, the LEGO model is very similar, LEGO has even put the red ring around the reactor. I personally would have liked to see a dark grey neck connector and a black light saber handle, but that's all easily fixed. LEGO did not print the eyes red, I'm not sure why as they colored red in the comic. Maybe the color was to harsh. But LEGO has done a great job with this figure.

The Build:

8596865252_c2b09d5d10_o.jpg

The set is divided into two bags, the first gets you to what's shown in the picture. Nothing special building techniques wise here.

8595762439_14ba7e5c80_o.jpg

Bag two finishes up the boat and adds the beacon too.

Finished Model:

8595761891_e41521e4c4_o.jpg

It may look like there's not a lot of set here, but the two suits really do make for an excellent battle against the boat.

8595762393_7f58209543_o.jpg

The front of the boat. Quite a bit of dark green used in the build, but I think there's even more black. I can't say I know what the stickers on the front are supposed to represent.

8596865146_a3c52b46ef_o.jpg

I'm not really sure about the engines, they seem a bit small for a 30 foot boat. :grin: The sticker on the 6x4 wedge brick is, I believe, the logo of some group that he's affiliated with. But don't quote me on that.

8595762297_2b9b2d7938_o.jpg

The cockpit is quite large and comfortable. There's even a spot for his gun! The 2x1 cheese slope has a nice sticker with the speed control lever, as well as a map of the area.

8596864986_d95d6bb06a_o.jpg

Lastly the beacon! Nothing special at all. I did add the stickers, mostly because I have lots of 1x2 red bricks. I assume the reason this is included in the set will become clear when the movie comes out.

Functions:

8595762243_2a07ca28fb_o.jpg

For some reason, there's dynamite stashed in the front compartment. Judging from the back of the box, the comic too, it also appears you can hide a person in here.

8596864880_ef2862b478_o.jpg

By pressing on the 2x4 tile, the top of the beacon flies off. This probably happens in the movie. Time will tell I suppose.

8595762053_64baeeafcd_o.jpg

The final function is the flick-fire missiles. However, you don't actually have to flick these, you just push on the lever and they fire! Good work LEGO. I'm really quite impressed by the ingenuity here.

8595762005_b44dec3f62_o.jpg

Here I've removed the covering so you can see how the launching mechanism works.

Conclusion:

Iron Man is one of my favorite Superheroes. So I'm probably bias a bit in my opinion of this set, but overall it's a very good set. The functions, while not new, are used in a very nice new way, that is really quite amazing. New minifigures are a big draw to LEGO sets for me, and this set has three new ones. All three designed excellently. I'm not sure about the boat really. The functions are great though. LEGO has done an excellent job with this set, I'm sure this scene will make more sense once the movie comes out.

Ratings:

Playability: 8/10
I really like the missile lever. Has to be one of my favorite functions in a LEGO set for quite some time.

Design: 8/10
The boat could possibly been a little better, but overall I'm quite pleased with it.

Price: 9/10
I think that the price is spot on, and pretty average for a set of this size.

Minifigures: 10/10
Of course, I couldn't be happier with the minifigures. The Iron Man helmets do take some warming up to though.

Parts: 9/10
There wasn't anything extraordinary, but there wasn't anything bad about it either. Dark green is good!

Total: 44/50

8596864722_e09c205f38_o.jpg

"What's wrong with your face?"

Like this review? Want to learn how to make good reviews? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

logo-academy-v4.png

Thanks for the Great Review Masked Builder! After seeing your review of the set, I'll probally have to end up picking this it up after, but probally not until it's on sale.

A great review. This is a surprise t me because I'm so behind on everything that I didn't even know about the War machine fig, this makes the set a must buy for me.

I love your comparisons to the real pictures, it really helps to identify the details TLG chose to add.

A great review. This is a surprise t me...

Using that phone again, aren't you? :poke:

Jokes aside, I might just have to buy this set. The figs looks awesome and espiecally that war machine. Thanks for the awesome review! :sweet:

Edited by Brickington

Thank you for the review! I didn't know about that flick fire mechanism, an additional reason why I'll pick this up soon! :sweet:

Thanks all! Glad you like it. :sweet:

A great review. This is a surprise to me because I'm so behind on everything that I didn't even know about the War machine fig, this makes the set a must buy for me.

I love your comparisons to the real pictures, it really helps to identify the details TLG chose to add.

Thanks! Sometimes I slack off a bit, but most of the time I try to add them.

Thank you for the review! I didn't know about that flick fire mechanism, an additional reason why I'll pick this up soon! :sweet:

I was very surprised myself! Pleasantly though.

great review, and the right timing since this set just released in toysrus hong kong on my last day there

Very nice review! I like to acquire this set as soon as possible! This set is in the same league with the Spiderman Cycle Chase and the Batman Arctic set and the pricing is pretty reasonable and the main reason for me to get this will certainly be War Machine! Thank you for sharing!

Very nice review! I like to acquire this set as soon as possible! This set is in the same league with the Spiderman Cycle Chase and the Batman Arctic set and the pricing is pretty reasonable and the main reason for me to get this will certainly be War Machine! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Fangy! I agree, this does fit in with those sets very well.

What surprised me so much when building this set was how much it looked like a traditional speedboat-- right up until you put those long dark green rounded slopes across the top on either side. To me, that's when it became, I not know, a weird-looking model of sorts. Still, with the 2 hero figs this is certainly a set worth getting.

Nice review as always Masked Builder.

What surprised me so much when building this set was how much it looked like a traditional speedboat-- right up until you put those long dark green rounded slopes across the top on either side. To me, that's when it became, I not know, a weird-looking model of sorts. Still, with the 2 hero figs this is certainly a set worth getting.

Nice review as always Masked Builder.

Yeah I agree with you there. Though there are some boats that look a bit like this one.

Thank for the review, I hunted it out as I've just picked up a copy on sale and was very pleased with it. Initially I was only interested in the opportunity to get Iron Man and War Machine but the boat is in fact quite nice, and with a bit of tweaking could easily become a nice batboat. The flick-fire system is very clever, as I've always found flicking the missiles a bit fiddly, and usually results in your nail smacking into a brick a few times until you get it right!

The set obviously bares no relation to the movie, or is rather a slight blend of a few scenes, possibly from an earlier script, or just TLG's interpretation of scenes without giving away too many spoilers (the comic is a good example of this, where it seems to follow a different storyline entirely). I don't have a problem with this, in the end TLG have to make a set that will be playable, and sell. The inclusion of War Machine rather than Iron Patriot is interesting, but again may be a product of an earlier script or spoiler avoidance.

The inclusion of Iron Patriot would have pushed this set up a few points for me, but as it is, I'd give it a solid 7/10 especially if you can pick it up on sale.