krispy

[MOC] Imperial Missile Boat (from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter game series)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

(07-03-2013)

I've redone the photographs with a white(ish) background. This should show the model more clearly. Hope you like!

Hi all!

I'm diving deeper into Star Wars starfighter obscurity with this very niche model. The Missile Boat only appeared in a handful of Star Wars games (like the extended edition Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance).

Oddly enough, after making my Star Wing/Assault Gunboat known to the public I've gotten requests to do the Missile Boat next (more than one even). So here it is!

8536719271_e37478e370.jpg

Not a render: a real brick build ship! As always: it's buildable (duh), in minifig scale, (almost) no rare parts and no flick-fire missiles. And unlike my first MOC (the Star Wing), this one is rock solid from the get go! Seriously, it's smaller than the Star Wing, but still weighs about the same. It's very sturdy and swooshable. :excited:

TL;DR: model files are at the end(ish) of the post.

For those unfamiliar with the craft (which is probably 99% of you :tongue: )

The Missile Boat was an advanced Imperial starfighter designed by Admiral Thrawn and built by Cygnus Spaceworks. Designed as a countermeasure against the rogue Grand Admiral Demetrius Zaarin and his supply of TIE Defenders, the Missile Boat was a descendant of the Alpha-class Xg-1 Star Wing, also manufactured by Cygnus Spaceworks. The Missile Boat relied primarily on warheads for dogfighting and assaults, a notable difference from other Imperial starfighters, which relied more heavily on laser cannons. The Missile Boat also included an innovative propulsion feature known as the SubLight Acceleration Motor (SLAM).

(source: Wookieepedia)

And there you have it. Finding source material was even harder than for the Star Wing as the craft only makes its appearance in two games. To make it even more challenging, the models differ greatly between the two games. Oddly enough the X-Wing Alliance Update project also did their (rather excellent) version, which is also diffent. I've included a comparison below.

8514212974_38c584519a.jpg

What can I say? I like a challenge! :wink:

These images and the fact that it's supposed to be 10m long (about 32 studs in minifig scale) was what I got to work with, so I've taken a few liberties as well. Luckily, there are a number of similarities between the craft, like the way the wings are angled, the missilepods on top, big rear engines, narrow(ish) cockpit. I've tried to use similar techniques to the Star Wing; as they are related, it should show. Here are some more views of the result. And I do apologise for my feeble photographing skills: all I had to work with were a bit of cloth, some desklamps and an old compact camera. :blush:

From the front:

8536718635_857fca3db8.jpg

Shot from the rear:

8536717651_95bbf4ed1e.jpg

A side view:

8536717233_697ef5cfc3.jpg

Next to it's older brother:

8536716899_260200ec02.jpg

Lego®-vision drawing:

8511464152_9358c501a3.jpg

Render of possible color variations:

8518126781_6e1905ba9f.jpg

I'm actually rather taken with the blue one (though I build a red one as the craft in the games are all with red markings).

As always, I've shared my lxf files so you can build it yourself. It's 654 pieces in total (165 unique; and that's including the mini-fig) and all can be found on bricklink in good quantities. There are a couple of things you need to mind, but I'll get to that later.

Files

• v1.0: The model assembled
  • v1.0 (in parts): The model broken down in main components. If you are going to build it in real bricks, I suggest you use this file as it will force LDD to generate instructions for each major component, making building easier.

Building Notes

As I've mentioned before: all parts should be available in good quantities. There are, unfortunately, some parts you need to mind:

• The Classic grey wedge 6x4; you'll need two and only the 6153a variant is available in this color (which is not in LDD; only the b-variant). There's no alternative (sorry) but the part seems to be available in good quantities. Any suggestions on how to do the nose section without this part (and dump classic grey altogether) is very much welcome.
  • The Light Bley Brick, Modified 2 x 4 x 1 1/3 with Curved Top; it turned out to be way harder to find than I expected, but it looks good on the model. If you have trouble sourcing it, or find it too expensive, you might want to consider using only 2x1x1 1/3's instead. It might require some extra reinforcement underneat though.
  • The Wheel 30mm D. x 13mm (13 x 24 Model Team); it's an older part (last set to feature it is C-3PO from 2001), so most likely you'll only find used ones. Do not confuse this with partno. 60208. The 2695 has a shallower rim and has rounded edges as well. You could use the 60208 (for example if you want the thrusters in dark bley) as it fits, but I personally feel that they don't look right.

As with the Star Wing, I suggest that you build it in main components (grab the parts file!) and later assemble those. As always, the LDD instructions are weird and unlogical, so I suggest you spend a little time looking around the model and skipping through the instructions a couple of times just to make sure you won't have to wedge a plate inbetween two brick already there. :wink:

A quick pointer while building the main hull: LDD will want you to build it in one go, but I advice you to build it in 3 seperate components. A 4-step plan below.

1. Start with the cockpit and internal skeleton (much like the instructions)
    8535307054_43cc739aaa_n.jpg
  2. Seperately, construct the top panel
    8534198391_90abf62109_n.jpg
  3. To the same for the bottom panel (just follow the instructions, but don't add it on to the model)
    8535306456_b0c8e5192d_n.jpg
  4. Assemble!
    8535306042_30e7e32424_n.jpg

Unpictured step: the engine part (the dark bley bits at the end) is pretty straightforward. Add it before putting the top panel on.

And that should do it. Thank you for reading! :classic:

Edited by krispy
Updated the links to the files as dropbox reverted the original links :(

nice MOC,

just a tip about your photography: maybe you should use a white background instead of a black one. Just like the instruction-pics. They are much clearer.

Great work krispy :thumbup: :thumbup: Very accurate and realistic :wink:

I think I prefer this to the first one, it looks more aggressive and sleeker :thumbup:.

Cheers guys! Glad you like. I've also taken the photographic feedback to heart and replaced most shots.

What do you think?

I love it when i get to see expanded universe/video game mocs. Love the color variations as well. Great work!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Much appreciated :blush:

Fantastic MOC, very nicely done with the conflicting source material.

Any more obscure ships in the works yet? :tongue:

Not right now. If you have a suggestion, I'm all ears.

As for something completely different: feedback from a user on Cuusoo triggered me to look at my design again. I quickly saw that the original version may be a bit too narrow on the front. The rear of the hull is 12 studs wide, but the front tapers only to 10 (hence the use of those wedge blocks there). I now redesigned it to taper to 12 studs. I've drawn up a comparison below.

Which version looks best to you guys?

8544500541_0c94eafdc3.jpg

Edited by krispy

The top one, it has a smaller profile. And the plating on the front covers better.

I love it!!!!!!!!

Man was i ever obsessed with the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games back in the day. It's awesome to see it come back to life in Lego.

Great job man!

Just stumbled upon this site, love seeing all the creativity. I still have nightmares of playing the X-wing games and getting destroyed by a squad of these guys. Great build!

Just stumbled upon this site, love seeing all the creativity. I still have nightmares of playing the X-wing games and getting destroyed by a squad of these guys. Great build!

Welcome to the site. Please check out the Site Guidelines, there is a link in my signature and in the upper right hand corner of every forum page (under the banner). We prefer that people enjoy our older topics for reference but only reply to them (revive them) if they have something new to add or further the conversation. Feel free to introduce yourself in the "Hello, my name is..." forum in the Community section.

I hate to bump an old topic, but I have worked with @krispy to make some instructions available that aren't from LDD. I updated a few small parts of the build to add some strength to the main body.  

I have uploaded the MOC to my ReBrickable Page. It is quite the fun build. I have it in the brick and it is quite impressive and very swooshable. I just need to find the right minifig for the pilot.

Happy building!