Bonaparte

Server Status Update

A few words on what happened and the way forward:

During the night from 17-18 the provider did maintenance on our server. Due to a server reboot part of our database got corrupted. We did not do a full restore from our (daily) backup this time, but only restored the damaged tables (the main one being the members table). So no posts have been lost!

Of course we have to take measures to make us more safe from database corruption and that'll be the next step. This will require a number of changes on the server which will be done during a planned maintenance window. We'll inform you in advance when this will happen (as the site will be offline during this window).

I want to say a big thank you to Ace for his time working on these issues. He was the one fixing the database (preventing loss of posts) and is in charge of the way forward for preventing this. Without Ace the future of EB would be rather uncertain. Thank you Ace!!!

Thanks so much! Hope all goes well with the further mantinence!

Phew! I thought the world already ended wherever the servers are located ...

Phew! I thought the world already ended wherever the servers are located ...

Yeah... this is just the beginning. 21.12.2012 is coming.

A few words on what happened and the way forward:

During the night from 17-18 the provider did maintenance on our server. Due to a server reboot part of our database got corrupted. We did not do a full restore from our (daily) backup this time, but only restored the damaged tables (the main one being the members table). So no posts have been lost!

Of course we have to take measures to make us more safe from database corruption and that'll be the next step. This will require a number of changes on the server which will be done during a planned maintenance window. We'll inform you in advance when this will happen (as the site will be offline during this window).

I want to say a big thank you to Ace for his time working on these issues. He was the one fixing the database (preventing loss of posts) and is in charge of the way forward for preventing this. Without Ace the future of EB would be rather uncertain. Thank you Ace!!!

EB Staff may want to move the Server somewhere else.

So far, before last move there weren't so many problems as were during the past two months.

However, until few weeks ago I wasn't as active as I'm now, so I might be wrong.

But so far, forums doesn't use to have so many problems with their database so I assume there's a problem where EB is hosted.

For a moment I thought our RvB will never occur due to EB Server issues. :oh3:

Thank you Ace for getting the site back up! I too work in IT and know what it's like to be under pressure with a system down, and also know how messed up a system can get when the database has issues. Glad to see someone with experience devoting the time to get things right.

A big hurrah to all the admins and their efforts to get everything back and running asap. Let's hope going forwards that EB can return to a rather more reliable state than it has been of late.

Thank you a lot EB Staff for makng this great job :thumbup: :thumbup: . Wenn I see the advise "Eurobricks is under maintenance" I say "Oh my god, not again. :look: "

Great work guys! I know these things can be a pain in the behind *huh*

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thanks so much to the staff and Ace for handling this problem quickly!! :D

Bonaparte, are you certain that you want to stick with your current provider ?

Because I honestly don't see much going for this provider; they've f****d up twice already (or is is three times) and that's just getting silly now.

I have no idea about the bandwidth requirements for EB or the processing power needed, but I could be able to help out if it is needed.

Anyway, ace did a good job getting things back online without loss of data, but the goal should be to have no (or as little as possible) downtime/corrupt database at all !!

Feel free to contact me if or when there are any problems again and none of the other guys can be reached.

Thank you to everyone who worked to restore the service. Now the end of the world can be MOCed and shared!

lego_computer_programmer_minifigure.jpg

This man/boy/guy looks more like Harry-potter to me........ :laugh:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Thanks, Ace and staff. Just goes to show EB is unstoppable. :grin:

Thankyou to everyone that helped get EB's back up and running. :thumbup: :thumbup: