Hello all

So here is a prototype of my latest project, the LEGO Wheelchair which is capable of moving a 90KG person around a room using just LEGO Mindstorms, LEGO Technic and Rotacaster multi-directional wheels. This is still a prototype and under constant development however I really wanted to let people see what I have been up to.

My wife giving version 0.8 a test drive.

Me having an initial go on version 0.5.

The lastest version uses 6 LEGO Mindstorms NXT’s for moving and 1 NXT(master) for controling the direction. Each of the driving NXT’s has 2 NXT motors attached to it and 2 touch sensors used to control direction. The master NXT has 4 touch sensors connected (forward, back, left and right) and 2 motors to switch on the drive touch sensors.

For more info please check Burf.org.uk

Amazing moc! Very stable and durable as seen in the video. :thumbup: ( For buying that amount of frames and NXT parts you have to be a millionare. :oh: - or do you have sponsors?)

Hello all

So here is a prototype of my latest project, the LEGO Wheelchair which is capable of moving a 90KG person around a room using just LEGO Mindstorms, LEGO Technic and Rotacaster multi-directional wheels. This is still a prototype and under constant development however I really wanted to let people see what I have been up to.

My wife giving version 0.8 a test drive.

Me having an initial go on version 0.5.

The lastest version uses 6 LEGO Mindstorms NXT’s for moving and 1 NXT(master) for controling the direction. Each of the driving NXT’s has 2 NXT motors attached to it and 2 touch sensors used to control direction. The master NXT has 4 touch sensors connected (forward, back, left and right) and 2 motors to switch on the drive touch sensors.

For more info please check Burf.org.uk

Hi

OMG! As a wheelchair user myself I'm really impressed. The rigidity & complexity of the chassis is really impressive.

While building a few weeks ago, Jake, our 5 yr old Granson, asked what was I making. I told him it was going to be a wheelchair.

'Will I be able to go in it?'

'No', says I, 'It won't be big enough.'

'Oh, OK... (long, thought filled pause) Can't you make it bigger?'

'No, not really.'

'Why?'

'I haven't got enough pieces.'

'You can buy some more.'

'Yes, I could, but anyway, it's Lego, it wouldn't be strong enough.'

'It will, you can make it strong.'

'Yes, I suppose I could but the motors are only little, they might not be big enought to move something that big.'

'But I'm only little.'

'I know.'

'You could make a little one, just for me. It won't need to be big & strong because your big belly won't fit in it.' (Note to self: Eat more salads!)

'Tell you what, let's see how this one comes out. But it'll be a long while.' Says I, hoping that in time he'll forget and think of something else for us to build.

Now back to today.

The phone rings, I answer. A very excited little boys voice on the other end says,

'Grum, I've seen one. You can build it.'

'Seen what, build what?'

'A Lego wheelchair. You can build it for me, it's very big & strong... You can fit in it... It's got a lady in it!'... It's on Eurobricks!'

'OK. I'll have a look.'

'While you're looking, Mummy's going to bring me over and the we can look on Bricklink for the bits.'

To Be Continued...

See what you've started!!! :sweet:

Edited by grum64

Fantastic huge motorized Lego creation! Si the scale of your collection amazes me! Looks like you didn't need that technic frame I bartered from you at afolcon!

Awesome Picture.. *oh2*:laugh:

So many beam frames.. crazy !

7682727698_f393b4cea6_c.jpg

IMG_1484 von burf2000 auf Flickr

Hi

"We are the Borg - resistance is futile!"

;)

Anyway - this MOC needs a new definition for crazyness. You really expanding LEGOs horozont.

Dino

Fantastic huge motorized Lego creation! Si the scale of your collection amazes me! Looks like you didn't need that technic frame I bartered from you at afolcon!

Thanks mate, hope you been well!

Hi

"We are the Borg - resistance is futile!"

;)

Anyway - this MOC needs a new definition for crazyness. You really expanding LEGOs horozont.

Dino

Cheers, I hope to add a few things to make it even better, remote control via a mobile phone, lights, better seat, maybe even parking sensors lol.

I am really chuffed with the feedback!!

I see it, but I don't believe it... Wow...

From a person with your rep (top builder), I take that as a massive compliment!

Thanks everyone! I am so chuffed everyone likes it!

*oh2* . The amount of beams used is crazy impressive! That is truly a testament to the amazing strength of Lego!

tim

Edited by timslegos

burf you are building bigger and bigger

nice work :excited:

now we know where those beams are :laugh_hard:

Seemed to strain a bit when you were sat on it.......