BrickPerfection

INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

3378119894_af21fdd962_o.gif

jollyroger.gif Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads, and Models jollyroger.gif

What is this index for?

This index is to provide not just inspiration, but also the possibility to link the pictures to threads on the forums, for example when discussing a MOC or giving advice. You want to know how the real old sailing ships look like? This is the place for you!

How is this indexed?

The Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads, and Models Index is sorted by Historic Ships, Replicas, and Figureheads.

Anyway you can help?

You can help by giving suggestions and informing us about items that have not been indexed. You can ask questions, give suggestions, and inform us about items that have not been indexed in this very topic. If you would like to contribute to the index, please follow these instructions:

Ships added to the index should be either historic, surviving examples or well-built, decently accurate replicas (i.e. build according to plans or a wreck). Beware: Ships like the Golden Hind or the Grand Turk replica are fantasy products for the most part!

In case someone has 25+ nice, sharp pictures of one showing the most important parts of such a ship (you can never have too many pir_laugh2.gif ) you can go ahead and make a thread in the pirate forum and I'll make sure it gets linked here. You can also upload picture from Wikipedia or Wikicommons, but beware the copyright restrictions!

Alternatively you can post a comment that you have pics here and someone else will make a thread out of it.

When posting a new thread please make sure that it doesn't get bumped to the top again by adding these two lines to the first post:

Also put "INDEX: Historic Ships" or "INDEX: Replica Ships" in the title and "Please do not reply directly to this thread" in the subtitle.

To what extent is this updated?

As postings on Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads, and Models come less often; so do the updates. If you know of a missed entry, please inform us below.

The Index

Historic Ships:

HMS Victory (1765)

USS Constitution (1797)

HMS Trincomalee (1817)

HMS Warrior (1860)

Replicas:

HMS Surprise (ex Rose from "Master and Commander")

Shtandart (by Admiral Croissant)

Batavia (by Admiral Croissant)

Amsterdam (by Admiral Croissant)

Prins Willim (by Bonaparte)

Endeavour (Link to external Gallery; thanks to kabel)

Hermione - Link to main page - Under construction pictures Feb. 2014 - More info and discussion maiden voyage April 2015

Figureheads

Figurehead Index (historic figureheads from the Portsmouth dockyard museum)

Important historic ships that we still need pics of:

HMS Unicorn (1824)

Vasa (1628)

Mary Rose (1512)

Every single thread added to this index is greatly appreciated and I would very much like to thank you for your time and efforts!

Edited by Phred

I do have some pictures of my visit to the Amsterdam and they have also been posted here once. Here is the link.

-Oh the pic's are all unavailable. Guess I'll have to post them again some time :pir-hmpf_bad:

I also have pictures of the Batavia, but I don't know how useful they are because I didn't make them for Lego ship reference.

But I'll take a look on that.

This is a great Idea! :pir-wub: btw: USS Constitution Pic #49 needs an Edit

-Oh the pic's are all unavailable. Guess I'll have to post them again some time :pir-hmpf_bad:

I also have pictures of the Batavia, but I don't know how useful they are because I didn't make them for Lego ship reference.

But I'll take a look on that.

In fact any pics of these ships would help. When there's enough it might be worth making a thread for them. You can also do that yourself if you (and maybe Captain Blackmoor) have good footage of the Batavia. Now that you remind me of your visit to the Amsterdam I sort of miss the pics taken. :pirate_sad2:

I am also in the process of searching flickr and asking members for using their pics for the index. Hopefully I get some :thumbup: , otherwise I'll have to link to their gallerys.

Wikipedia is also always good for a picture or two (free to use for anyone), but hardly enough for a new thread. :pir-wink:

This is a great Idea! :pir-wub: btw: USS Constitution Pic #49 needs an Edit

Thanks for noticing! Fixed!

Brilliant idea!

Too bad at we dont have any captain`s cabin shots on some of the indexe`s yet.

I was amazed when i taked a look of HMS Victorys index, and saw all those pics. Do you think at this picture could added on the index also?. I hope at i can visit her at next summer. Also there was lots of useful pictures about the other ships too.

Captain Becker

Great idea! Ive got some pics somewhere of the Golden Hind replica that sailed the same route. Its in dock at London and is worth looking round. Also Charlestown in Cornwall is worth a look, as the port is still in its original condition and is used for filming period dramas/films. Its also home to some replica ships that are used in many films. I will dig out the pics and post them.

Thank you! I enjoyed all the photos. I`d like to see them live. :pir-wub: It may be a great source of inspiration for me. I think I probably will build my own ship.

P.S. I liked the LEGO-cannon, it looks real. :cannon:

Perfectionist,

Would you be interested in scanned images from this book:

0756604966.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1085467957_.jpg

There are a few ships that are thoroughly discussed in this book like that Vasa and Victory.

Great Idea Perfectionist! Some nice pics you got there and this will be helpfull if anyone plans a MOC.

I must say the Victory is a mighty fine ship, and since I live in England I can visit her and the Warrior whenever I want :pir-classic:.

It's funny because on the Victory's deck there is a plaque saying (I've been there but you can just about see a plaque in one of the pics) "Here fell Admiral Lord Nelson" and I wasn't surprised with them darn polished decks and that dirty great iron ring there! :pir-tongue:

Edited by Scorpiox

Perfectionist,

Would you be interested in scanned images from this book:

Phred, I honestly would very much like seeing some of these scans as the author is Brian Lavery who also wrote AotS: Bellona and was involved in the making of Master and Commander: The Far side of the World.

However I do believe that since the author is still alive and not dead for 70+ years all of his work is protected by copyright and would hence be illegal to upload to a public place on the internet! :pir-wink:

But thanks for showing some interest for this! :thumbup:

There is an incredible cross sections book that has the H.M.S.Victory in it.

You should check it out, There is some very interesting details and facts about the ship.

very good idea though! :thumbup: :thumbup:

However I do believe that since the author is still alive and not dead for 70+ years all of his work is protected by copyright and would hence be illegal to upload to a public place on the internet! :pir-wink:

You are correct. I didn't think of the copyright infringements that would occur.

You can add the Shtandart to the first post here :pir-wink:

I'll do Amsterdam and Batavia later.

What a pleasant surprise! I did not think about that ship. Of course some footage of Batavia is very much appreciated as I heard so many good things about the accuracy of that replica. Amsterdam would be great too.

You are really helpful here; as pretty much everywhere on Classic-Pirates! :thumbup:

I think I could go and visit the Amsterdam, i live about 1,5hrs from it by bus and ehm have ever only seen it from the bus .

:pir-hmpf_bad::thumbdown: I was looking for the visiting hours and, found out that the ship is closed from the first of April till the beginning of October, for major maintenance.

Well that also has to be done.

Bart

P.S. pictures on wikipedia and wikimedia commons are usualy free of copyright

An Idea for other ships you could put on this index (all smaller ships)

H.M.S. Pickle (Replica)

Pride of Baltimore II

Just an idea!

yeah I could, but its easier to get in England by public transport then in Flevoland.

but on the other hand now you can also take some picutres of the building of the Zeven Provincieën.

maybe the Duyfken also deserves a page here,

I visited it when it was in the Netherlands, its back in Sydney now ...

Bart

You could also visit the Batavia instead :pir-classic:

And here's the Index article of the Batavia.

Awesome! Those are really good pics. Somehow the Batavia reminds me quite a lot of the Vasa, which shouldn't be surprising since the original was build around the same time.

An Idea for other ships you could put on this index (all smaller ships)

H.M.S. Pickle (Replica)

Pride of Baltimore II

Just an idea!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't make a list of replica ships here since there are simply too many of those and only a few are accurately build.

If the historical accuracy is good enough for the index should be decided on a case to case basis. For example the Golden Hind replica in London is fairly inaccurate as there are no plans of the original ship it's in fact a fantasy product!

In contrast to that the replicas added to the index so far have all been constructed according to original plans; and of the Amsterdam even the wreck is found. Still only Batavia and the Hermione have wooden knees wile the others use iron for saving money.

Yes there are many other histirical and replica ships. If you have good pictures of one of those, don't hesitate to post them :pir-classic:

It's really great you've taken the initiative here and made those two threads! I only wished others would follow your shining example!

By the way, Admiral, I noticed you've put "Historic Ships" instead of "Replica Ships" in the title. No that it's a big thing, but it might be quite confusing for some as I inteded to use that description only for original, surviving examples like the "Trincomalee". :pir-blush:

Edited by Perfectionist

And you can finally add the Amsterdam. I don't have pictures of other historic ships.

I do have a few of a galleon in Italy, but it wasn't very accurate, and I have a few pictures of windjammers, but those aren't very useful either.

So I'll leave it with this :pir-classic:

It's really great you've taken the initiative here and made those two threads! I only wished others would follow your shining example!

I wish I could help but I have never visited one of these historical ships, yet... but hopefully that will change soon.

@Admiral Croissant: Great pictures again. I guess the Netherlands are full of old ships?

You and Croissant are doing an outstanding job making this index. I have added it to the Master Index as it contains already a lot of material!

I have some additional pictures of the Shtandart, Batavia and Amsterdam which I will post sometime soon. :pir-wink:

Keep up the great work lads! :thumbup:

One more for your index featuring the Prins Willim replica. I took these pictures only a few months before the ship burned so even though they are not all fantastic quality I found them worthwhile to share.