Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

INDEX: Replica Ships - Prins Willim

NOTE: This thread should be used for indexing purposes only.

All discussion can be done in this thread.

I have visited this ship 1 time but that day it was closed so I could go inside. I'm still posting the pics I took from the outside because this beatiful replica ship is now gone (it burned :pir-cry_sad:).

However, there is good news (RNW - 3 November 2009):

The former owner of a historic Dutch ship replica which was destroyed by fire in July has announced it will be restored after all.

The wreck of the reconstructed 17th-century vessel "Prins Willem", earlier thought to be a total loss, has been sold to a shipyard in Franeker, Friesland, which will undertake the rebuilding of the steel-framed wooden ship. The Talsma shipyard estimates it will take three years, after which the ship will be sold.

The original ship was built for the Dutch East India Company in 1649 and sank near Madagaskar in 1662.

The "Prins Willem" replica was moored in a museum harbour in the naval city of Den Helder where it was reduced to cinders, presumably because of a fault in a cooling system.

Here is the official page for the ship on the VOC website (Dutch only!), and here is the Wikipedia article.

prins1.jpg

prins2.jpg

Two weird guys walking to the ship! Did they burn it??? :pir-tongue:

Just joking, because these 2 guys love ships and would never hurt one!

prins3.jpg

prins4.jpg

prins5.jpg

prins6.jpg

prins7.jpg

prins8.jpg

prins9.jpg

prins10.jpg

prins11.jpg

prins12.jpg

prins13.jpg

prins14.jpg

prins15.jpg

Some pictures from the Internet:

Prins%20Willim.JPG

05-33-prins%20willim.jpg

tn_PrWillim2.jpg

VOC-ship-prince-willem--wikimedia-dirkvdm.jpg

anp-brand-prins-willem.jpg

That is a beautiful ship it is well armed and has great detail the rigging will be hard to build and so will the Stern Gallery but I belive taht if you build this you can put in that detail I say do it and hopefully it turns out well.