Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] ESL-COR Duel: Yes, the actual duel is finally here!

This is a continuation of the story of animosities (or is it misunderstandings?) between Mr. John Hawksbrugh of Corrington and Captain Philip “Pip” Janszen of Eslandola.

Their story began when Janszen encountered Hawksbrugh telling the tale of his escape from an Oleander prison with the aide of Lady Winifred in “Transvestite Prison Escape” and Janszen suggested that Hawksbrugh had hidden under the Lady’s skirt to escape.

From there, Hawksbrugh called out Janszen in the Kings Port Advertiser, calling him an “Oleander turncoat,” to which Janszen took offense, as we saw in “Duel? We will see honor upheld!

Janszen sent an open letter to Port Raleigh, returning the challenge to Hawksbrugh, and we saw Hawksbrugh’s response in “Angling for a Duel.”

Upon receiving Hawksbrugh’s response, Janszen is amused that Hawksbrugh is “taking instruction” and decides that the duel should be to first blood (so as to avoid murder charges) and then has an impromptu sparring session on the dock with his first mate in “Prelude to a Duel: Practice makes Perfect.”

Meanwhile, pirates attacked Port Raleigh. Lady Pauline Norrington warned the settlement of the attack, and Hawksbrugh saved her life when some of the pirates attempt to kidnap her in “Dastardly Attack on Port Raleigh.”

After the pirate attack on Port Raleigh had been turned back and Mr. Hawksbrugh had rescued Lady Norrington, she asked him about the upcoming duel:

“I’ve seen the public notice about the challenge between an Eslandolan seafarer and a John Hawksbrugh. Are you the man that is to duel Pip Janszen?”

“Yes, I am. Why do you ask? You sound like you know him.”

“I do, but it’s been a decade since I’ve seen him. We were so young then . . . but old enough," she said wistfully. "I thought Pip was relegated to my memories at this point; I didn’t dare dream our paths would cross again. Please don’t hurt him.”

00prelude.jpg

“M’lady, I believe Janszen is far more experienced with the blade than I. I will be doing all I can to make sure he doesn't hurt me.”

Lady Norrington pondered this, then a glint came to her eye. “Can you defend his opening moves? If you can keep yourself unharmed at the start, I think I can get him to drop his guard. When he does, make your strike, but please do not hurt him.”

“I will do my best, m’lady. Thank you for your help.” Hawksbrugh began to realize how special this lady was.

“No, thank you. ’Tis the least I can do. But be sure not to mention me to him before your duel. The element of surprise will be critical.”

“Of course.”

Janszen had intended to sail for Port Raleigh as soon as his trade run was complete, but Hurricane Stepho intervened and Janszen and crew were adrift at sea until rescued by Captain Velvetine and the crew of the Corrington trader Valkyrie (see “Hurricane vs Sloop: Hurricane Wins”). Finally arriving in Port Raleigh, Captain Janszen once again thanked Captain Velvetine for rescuing them.

01velvetine.jpg

Janszen and his first mate, Anthony Crol, made their way to the Flask and Flagon to ask about Hawksbrugh’s whereabouts.

flaskandflagonreduxe.jpg

The kitchen boy was dispatched to find Mr. Hawksbrugh and, after a stout drink, Janszen announced that he would await Hawksbrugh’s return down on the beach and their duel could commence.

As Janszen headed to the beach, a small crowd gathered and followed him to see the duel – high entertainment it would be! When Lady Norrington heard what was happening, she hurried to the beach as well, but stayed hidden in the crowd.

When Hawksbrugh arrived, he and Janszen exchanged words.

“I have apologized for my comments regarding your loyaties, sir,” stated Hawksbrugh, “but I must defend the honor of Lady Winifred.”

“And I have apologized for my remarks about your Lady Winifred, but your remarks about my loyalties demand action,” replied Janszen. “You have given me the choice of pistols or swords, and I choose swords. Since you have given me that choice, and because you apologized, I have proposed that our contest be to first blood: He who draws blood first shall be the winner. Is this acceptable to you?”

“It is.”

“Then let us begin.”

And with that they bowed to each other and the duel began.

02start.jpg

Janszen started with some playful attacks, testing his opponent, and Hawksbrugh successfully parried. Soon Hawksbrugh was the aggressor, and Janszen parried the attacks as he sized up his opponent.

04moving_right.jpg

Hawksbrugh had been training this past month, and Janszen judged him a good student. His form was good and he displayed some confidence, but he was still relatively inexperienced. Janszen had had little trouble so far, but thought it time to stop playing. Janszen countered one of Hawksbrugh’s thrusts and quickly had him on the defensive. Lady Norrington quietly moved through the crowd as Philip’s attacks became more aggressive.

07lnmoves.jpg

Janszen had Hawksbrugh back on his heels now. He would have his victory shortly.

06fuzzonheels.jpg

But Lady Norrington had maneuvered herself several yards behind Hawksbrugh, directly in Janszen’s line of sight. As Janszen made one particularly aggressive move, Lady Norrington caught his eye and smiled a smile than he had not seen in a decade.

08distraction2etr.jpg

For a moment he was in shock. “Pauline?” he said . . .

09surprise2.jpg

. . . and in that moment his focus was lost. Hawksbrugh countered with a sharp thrust to Janszen’s left shoulder.

10struck.jpg

“Ow!”

“First blood, sir,” declared Hawksbrugh triumphantly. “You are defeated.”

11firstblood.jpg

Janszen dropped his sword and held the wound with his right hand, but his attention was still on Lady Norrington. “Pauline . . . how? Where . . . ?”

“Mr. Hawksbrugh saved me in the recent pirate attack on this settlement. In return, I told him I would help him win this duel if he promised not to hurt you. How bad is the wound?”

“It stings, but I am not injured.”

12meet.jpg

Turning to Hawksbrugh, Janszen continued. “Sir, I misjudged you. You are a true gentleman, and I recant and apologize for suggesting you were anything else, especially in regard to your Lady Winifred.”

14end.jpg

“What’s more, you have presented me with a gift I never expected – to see Lady Pauline again." And with that, Janszen turned to her and they embraced.

13embrace2e.jpg

Janszen's first mate stood beside Hawksbrugh as they watched the reunion. “You have no idea what this means to him,” said Crol. “I believe you have a friend for life.”

Here's an overview of the beach scene:

99overview.jpg

Thanks to Fuzzy MacFuzz and CelesAurivern for use of their characters.

Edited by Capt Wolf

Awww...

I'm gonna get all emotional now... :cry2::cry3:

:grin::pir-laugh:

But seriously, this is a very well-written and built and photographed duel. I like all the different poses, and Janszen's expression upon seeing Lady Norrington is perfect. The beach looks great, I like the assembled crowd, and the idea of duelling til first blood is a neat idea (well, I'm not much for that silly fighting to the death stuff over simple offenses like these anyway). I dare say it's been worth the wait. :classic:

Amazing story and very well accompanied by the pictures!

It was a lot of fun reading it :)

I'm delighted to see our duel story resolved at last, and with such a happy ending! Captain, you've done this better than I could have hoped for, both with the story and the pictures. Its been a great pleasure collaborating with you.

But Janszen and Hawksbrugh's journey is not quite over yet, they will soon be adventuring together, this time as allies rather than rivals. And as for the romance? Well, tune in for the next episode soon!

Great story, well executed with pictures - I really enjoyed this duel and it was good to see an amicable resolution!

09surprise2.jpg

LOL! pirate_laugh2.gif Classic! Love this shot!

Very nice story, good job with the sandscape as well! :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I hope this story has been as fun for you as it has for us. I know I've really enjoyed collaborating with Fuzzy on it!

<snip>

I dare say it's been worth the wait. :classic:

Thanks. It took us awhile to get to the end, longer than we planned or expected. But then, who plans for hurricanes?

Amazing story and very well accompanied by the pictures!

It was a lot of fun reading it :)

After how long it took us to get here, I had to make sure the pictures were worth it. pirate_wink.gif

<snip>

LOL! pirate_laugh2.gif Classic! Love this shot!

I made three different attempts at this. I'm glad it was worth it! pir_laugh2.gif

But Janszen and Hawksbrugh's journey is not quite over yet, they will soon be adventuring together, this time as allies rather than rivals.

I'm looking forward to seeing the upcoming balloon adventure. (Fuzzy, I hope it was ok that I let that slip.) Janszen has had little luck on the sea so far; perhaps he will do better in the air!

Looks great, I finally had time to read the whole story and it was definitely worth the wait. I love the duel shots and the scene where they enter the bar. A fantastic tale!

Looks great, I finally had time to read the whole story and it was definitely worth the wait. I love the duel shots and the scene where they enter the bar. A fantastic tale!

The bar scene was one of my favorite parts to build because I had to recreate someone else's (CelesAurivern's) build. Once I realized Janszen would go to a tavern to find Hawksbrugh, I knew I had to try to build the Flask and Flagon.

How did you do that with the suprised face?

I just drew a new face on the head in MS Paint. It was harder than I thought it would be, but as long as I worked on the image at a high resolution before I reduced it for posting, it worked ok.

Great conclusion to a great storyline - this is exactly the kind of things I like to see inspired by the game mechanics! Great story telling and nice action shots and builds.

Now we better hope that cut does not get infected... pirate_oh3.gif