Capt Wolf

[ESL - FB] The First Mate and the Wench, or the Lady of Madrice

When Philip reached the pier, he was pleased to see that Anthony Crol, his longtime friend, was waiting for him. They had crewed several ships together, but this would be different.

“Tony!” cried Philip as he spied his friend.

01_meet.jpg

“Pip! What’s going on? I heard you were called to Guilder’s office, and then a street kid comes running up to me telling me to meet you. He also said you told him I’d pay him two copper pieces to get me here.”

“Smart lad. He doubled his pay for this job!”

“I think you owe me two coppers, Pip.”

The friends laughed a hearty laugh, then Anthony asked Pip “What’s going on?”

“Tony, they gave me a ship. It’s just a small sloop, class 2WR, but I’m the captain!”

At first Anthony was as stunned as Philip was in Guilder’s office, but stunned silence was quickly overcome by unbridled joy for his friend’s good fortune. “Wow! Congratulations, Pip! You’ve earned this.”

“There’s more, Tony.” Philip paused to make sure he had his friend’s full attention. “I need to fill out the crew. Specifically, I need a second in command…”

“What? You think I’d serve under you?” For a moment Philip was taken aback, failing to recognize Anthony’s mock disdain. Then Anthony broke into a sly smile. “Of course I would! Man, this is going to be something. The two of us in charge? The world had better look out!” Then, after a moment of thought, he asked “So, what ship did they give you?”

Pip motioned down the pier. “Look behind you, Tony. There she is. The Lady of Madrice.” Philip was filled with pride.

02b_looking_at_ship_2.jpg

Tony, on the other hand, was half in shock and half stifling laughter. “The Wench?! You didn’t say you were given command of the Wench!” The Lady of Madrice was well known by her nickname among the local sailors.

“Would you have turned down my offer if I’d have told you?”

“Of course not, but you didn’t say it was the Wench.” Anthony was having fun tweaking Philip about this.

“Tony, she may be a bit aged and have a long history of being passed down from captain to captain, but she’s a lovely lady to me, and I will not have you calling her that!” And then Philip broke into a big grin. “What did you expect, the Eslandia?”

“Tell me you didn’t call her the Wench to Guilder’s face.”

“Of course not!” Philip replied. “But I had to bite my tongue not to! Come on, let’s give her the once over and see what she needs.” Anthony snickered in response, but then put on a straight face and went aboard.

The crew was busy loading supplies into the hold. The sloop looked to be in fine form, with clean deck lines and fresh paint in MCTC colors on the sides. She had a crowded deck when loaded with four cannons, but piracy was a concern. She also sported two small swivel guns at the bow.

03a_loading_1.jpg

The Lady of Madrice had served many captains well, and Philip was confident that she would serve him well, too.

99a_full_on_dock.jpg

profile_w_surf.jpg

away_w_surf.jpg

Beautiful sloop and nice rigging. I really like these more colourful vessels, and these colours really go well together. The almost flush deck gives the whole hull some beautiful lines, and I like the clean, unstudded look she has. :thumbup:

Your custom cannons are great, as are the railings. Your dock is nice too, and a detail to note is that you have remembered to turn the flag the right way! pirate_laugh2.gif

Great work - I approve!

That is a good looking vessel! the dimensions are good too.

I like the little dockside building too.

Bart

Very nice ship! Really like how you've got the Eslandola insignia on the sail, the rigging is great too! And bravo for going the extra mile and including a little dock and shed! thumbup.gif

Thanks to all for the kind words on this. This ship came together surprisingly fast. I was particularly happy with being able to stage a minifig in the cargo hold. And I'm glad the effort I put into the dockside shed wasn't wasted. Thanks!

Excellent ship and dock Captain Wolf, the shed is quite nice (great use of those dark gray slit pieces pirate_wink.gif), and I really like your gangplank and the activity going on in the loading scene! thumbup.gif And last but certainly not least, superb work with that ship - the sails, shape, colors, hatch, and cannons are great, and the almost completely studless aspect makes it look like a trim and clean sloop pirate_classic.gif Glad to have you in Eslandola - keep it up!

I think the official name is very fitting, because this is a very nice vessel. The colors are perfect and the shape is just beautiful. Those custom guns and the big hatch are nice. I also like the fact that you went to the trouble to build a full pier - it greatly enhances the story and gives everything a good sense of scale. The building may be a little small but I guess you didn't want it distracting from the sloop. Good work.

Edit: Approved!

Edited by Captain Dee

Excellent ship, and great to see it both in port and at sea!

I especially love that last shot, great effect with the round plates :classic: