WhiteFang

REVIEW: 5002948 C-3PO Exclusive Polybag 2015

On a scale of 1 to 5  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this polybag?

2. 2. Do you want to search and buy this polybag to add into your collection?

• 1 - Yes, I will definitely get it
    • 2 - Maybe, if I encounter it at a reasonable price
    • 3 - No, I will give this a miss

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Hello everyone,

I am so excited to do this review. Well, it is not much of a detailed review since this polybag contain only three LEGO parts. Why am I so excited then? It is because this is a new LEGO Star Wars promotional minifigure which is exclusive in some regions as of now. I am not sure on how extensive this new promotional polybag will reach out but this is certainly the first LEGO Star Wars promotional polybag for the upcoming Star Wars Episode 7 movie. As of now, there are not much information on the availability but I will share my experience with you guys. Oh one more thing to add, this is the first time I am using a black background for my photo-shoot for experimental purpose for small sets. Without further ado, let me begin my simplistic review.

Name: 5002948 C-3PO Polybag

Theme: LEGO System / Star Wars / Episode 7

Year: 2015

Pieces: 3

Minifigs: 1 minifigure

Price: USD N.A, GBP N.A, EURO N.A, SGD N.A

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original polybag image of the 5002948 C-3PO

21181303125_cc64bfc575_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original polybag image of the 5002948 C-3PO

20994458779_698d4fa6e5_o_d.jpg

The completed built of C-P3O

20994456499_183845b3aa_o_d.jpg

I was so lucky to have encountered this promotion which I believe is part of the global ongoing LEGO Star Wars Force Friday which started on 4 September 2015 to promote the new LEGO Star Wars sets. I did not get this in Singapore and the giveaway is not very enticing either. This exclusive polybag which I have gotten from is in LEGOLAND Malaysia. As long you buy RM200 (equivalent to USD$46) of Star Wars products in a single receipt, you are entitled to choose either this polybag or the 5002938 Stromtrooper Polybag. This is what I have bought in order to qualify for this polybag.

I understand that some other parts of the world have also encountered sightings of this elusive polybag which include Hong Kong, New Zealand, U.S etc. Different countries have different ways of obtaining it. It is a great pity that I am unable to get it locally in Singapore.

In case you don't know who this iconic character is, C-3PO was a humanoid protocol droid designed to interact with organics, programmed primarily for etiquette and protocol. He was fluent in over six million forms of communication, and developed a fussy and worrying personality throughout his many decades of operation. Along with his counterpart, the astromech droid R2-D2, C-3PO constantly found himself directly involved in important defining moments of galactic history.

There are only three LEGO parts

21170990902_ffe25d754c_o_d.jpg

There are just three LEGO parts to form the complete C-3PO. I am not sure of this variant with the red circuit robotic arm though. I think it should be part of the movie. C-3PO appears in many LEGO Star Wars sets since 1999. I find each new design that TLG released, is always an improvement from another. I don't count other variants of the C-3PO types.

In this polybag, I find the design of the polybag is rather misleading. At first glance, I thought it was a chrome C-3PO. Instead, I discovered it was made up of pearl gold on the exterior. It was a little disappointing to me but it was not too bad as the minifigure have printed arms and legs which can be viewed from the side view. The red arm even include side printing as well. You may view these images in greater details below.

Back view of C-3PO

21155027206_800491db2a_o_d.jpg

Side view of C-3PO with golden arm

20993145880_ed8901e9e0_o_d.jpg

Side view of C-3PO with red arm

20558585024_b6d98c9087_o_d.jpg

Back view of C-3PO

21155027206_800491db2a_o_d.jpg

Comparison with one of the many C-3PO past designs

21181292215_4cb90debfc_o_d.jpg

C-3PO and R2-D2

20994449319_031fb422cb_o_d.jpg

You droids are coming with us

21170981542_2d58dfb7bb_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this polybag is a fine detailed minifigure with excellent printing on the side and back view. It is a certainly a must have minifigure especially if you are a fan of the LEGO Star Wars and a fan who need to collect every single of them. I am more of a casual buyer and I am very delighted to own this.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (You need to have playsets in order to increase the playability with this special minifigure.)

Design: 9/10 (Detailed printing. No exceptional flaws other than being it in pearl gold which is a little disappointing.)

Price: 8/10 (If you get it as part of the promotional deal, I will said is worth to get it. As for secondary market price, it really depends on how much your wallet can spare for it.)

Overall: 8/10 (Very nice minifigure to have it in my own Star Wars collection but I won't pay a premium price for it. Just glad to be able to own it through proper distributing channel.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Good review for a great polybag set. Your pictures are very clear and the C-3P0 has nice printings.

One question, where you get this polybag? I want to get it but sadly I can't find this polybag at any of the stores at my country here.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Good review for a great polybag set. Your pictures are very clear and the C-3P0 has nice printings.

One question, where you get this polybag? I want to get it but sadly I can't find this polybag at any of the stores at my country here.

Hey ArmstrongYong, we are neigbouring countries. So far, you can get it in LEGOLAND Malaysia, Johor. The promotion started yesterday and will end by 24 Sep. I think. Not sure of the end date, but is while stock lasts.

Here is where I get it, as stated in my review,

This exclusive polybag which I have gotten from is in LEGOLAND Malaysia. As long you buy RM200 (equivalent to USD$46) of Star Wars products in a single receipt, you are entitled to choose either this polybag or the 5002938 Stromtrooper Polybag. This is what I have bought in order to qualify for this polybag.

Hey ArmstrongYong, we are neigbouring countries. So far, you can get it in LEGOLAND Malaysia, Johor. The promotion started yesterday and will end by 24 Sep. I think. Not sure of the end date, but is while stock lasts.

Yes, but I didn't live in Johor, and I live in Selangor. It will be difficult for me to go to Legoland Johor because I don't have any driving license. Sadly I will missed this polybag.

Thanks WhiteFang for another great review! :thumbup:

When I first saw this polybag I was really excited by it, as the artwork looked amazing, but it's quite a dissapointment to see the actual minifigure :hmpf_bad: I'm not sure about the extra printing, it just looks a bit too much, and I would have preferred something similar to the promo TC-14 we had a couple of years ago, at least it was nice and shiny!

Do you know how people in New Zealand were coming by this, I have just received a largish order (placed on the weekend) from one of the major local online/store retailers for Lego in NZ. But sadly there was no polybag inside.

Edit: Nevermind I just found it. It was the other major lego seller in NZ, and happened in store over the weekend. And it sounds like they had a grand total of 50 of the things to give away... :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Alternator

I was hoping you'd do a review of this one! I'm very disappointed though, the artwork on the polybag made it look like chrome or metallic gold and to see that it's just another pearl gold C3PO makes me sad. Nice to see printing on arms and legs though.

Thanks for the review!

Neat review as always :) Would like someday have this and other colorful C-3POs which costs not much as chromed one :)

Thank you for showing us this review WhiteFang! Does anyone know for sure how to get this in the USA? Thanks

Edited by FactorXa

Anyone know where to get these in the UK? There's plenty on ebay, but just wonder where people are getting them.

This is a fantastic minifigure! Unfortunately, it's not in chrome gold, but it's the most detailed C-3PO yet! I will definitely be looking out for this promotion.

Great review! The pictures are very nice.

Is it just me, or does the head of the minifig have a different hue of pearl gold than the rest of the parts? :look:

Thank you so much for all of your comments and thoughts. It's certainly disappointing to see the lack of chrome but the detailed printing really make it up for it. I hope this polybag will be widely available in the future.

Yes, but I didn't live in Johor, and I live in Selangor. It will be difficult for me to go to Legoland Johor because I don't have any driving license. Sadly I will missed this polybag.

It's unfortunate indeed. I think they have finished giving it away a few days ago. Either way, I hope this polybag will appear in other future promotions.

Just to update folks on availability of this figure in the USA: I was at Toys R Us today and this polybag was on promo, free with $40 LEGO Star Wars purchase. I purchased a $39.99 set and that was apparently enough to qualify for it. It rang up at $3.99 then promo discount to $0.00. They would not let me buy an extra one though.

I really like this figure, but will be replacing that red arm for sure on one of mine. Just need to find a decent "gold" arm to use. And I was REALLY hoping this would be chrome. The artwork makes him look shiny!

I like the eyes of this new C-3PO! :wub:

Yes... I see the eyes are a more modern style C-3PO - all of mine are older ones without highlights on the eyes - it makes quite a difference. I'm glad I was able get one.