So after 3 months of working in another town, away from my precious bricks, I am back!

I had to return the 4 borrowed wheels from the fox, so I came up with an idea to make a smaller 4x4 off roader with the same amount of power.

This is the crazy result:

P1210347.JPG

If you look from the side, you can see the model is quite short for its size, which is good for offroading.

P1210348.JPG

Also notice the 8 hard shock absorbers giving this beast a lot of suspension travel.

P1210346.JPG

There is even an interrior, which can be accessed via gullwing openable doors:

P1210309.JPG

I am very proud of the styling, there are no major gaps and almost no straight or perpendicular lines.

Now for the performance... I found a way to harness the power of 2XL motors/wheel without breaking gears (too often that is).

Each XL motor is placed on opposite sides of the swinging half axle so that their torques cancel each other out, therebye having minimal effect on suspension.

The only gears capabale of withstanding such torque at perpendicular angle are of course knob gears. The hub assembly is simillar to the one used in the Fox, but with built CV joints capable of handling 2x the XL motor torque. But even so sometimes an 8 tooth gear may fail if a foreign object is jamed between gears and the wheel is blocked

P1210352.JPGP1210355.JPGP1210344.JPG

Even though the models tends to kill gears on occasion its still quite relaible for its massive weight of some 4 kilograms.

Dimensions:

Length: 47 cm

Width: 25 cm

Height: 21 cm

Here's the video of the Jaguar in action:

Oh and of course the most important picture of them all :classic: Though there's not much to see, but I like the arrangment of the components, its clean.

P1210350.JPG

Edited by Zblj

Amazing. Just amazing.

I agree with him 100%!

Did you take apart the FOX to make this? also why did you use the crown gear on the winch? I also see that you didn't pull a car with this....Did you try?

Wow. I really like your CV joint. 8 XLs thats stupidly powerful. I don't even have 8 XL motors. :thumbup:

Meh, nothing special.

:) Wow! I think this is in class with the Fox! Awesome work with the chassis.

Edited by Milan

The electronics layout is great - all the heavy parts are on the bottom. How are the CV joints holding up? Do the tan pins get worn out over time?

I agree with him 100%!

Did you take apart the FOX to make this? also why did you use the crown gear on the winch? I also see that you didn't pull a car with this....Did you try?

Yes i took apart the fox for this. The crown gear is slighty smaller than regular 24 tooth gear and it doesnt grind on a nearbye support beam. Didnt try to pull car yet, seems rather controversal...

The electronics layout is great - all the heavy parts are on the bottom. How are the CV joints holding up? Do the tan pins get worn out over time?

I like your CV-joint! Good work!

So far the CV joints dont show any signs of wear, we will see over time.

Anyone interested in the .lxf?

Wow!! Designing lego to handle these kinds of forces is no small undertaking. I love the capability.

With that much torque per wheel is there any chance of trying 12/20 gearing in the portal hubs? It also would circumvent the weak point of the 8t gear.

v/r

Andy

Your creations are always amazing, but this time you made it to 1000000 stars out of 10! :thumbup:

Love the hood design , the power,Everything!!! :wub_drool:

+1 interested in .lxf file :drool:

I usually love your models but this I have rather mixed feelings about this. Having zero experience with new PF elements and with RC cars in general, my oppinion doesn't count very much - yet I think this is more of a show off and waste than some technic masterpiece. Maybe pushing the lego limits and destroying gears and axles have some sense that I'm missing... I don't know. it doesn't even look like it performs that well, probably loosing a lot of it's overkill power just to carry the weight, fight against the friction and deal woth flex. I hope you find some better use for that motors soon ;)

Didnt try to pull car yet, seems rather controversial...

Ya I can understand this....... I have seen a lot of hate about "faking" pulling a car on you FOX video comments.

Yeah, this is a nice experiment again! I like your fun and crazyness and the spirit of trying out unconventional solutions very much :thumbup: ! The torture of plastic can get an obsession to somebody... :grin:

I'm happy to see you back, and happy to know that you worked!

The MOC, technically, is impressive. I have to study your CV Joints, seems to be a really clever solution....and yes...8 XL motors are something crazy...and I'm not one that build small!!

If I have to do some criticism....I'm not going crazy for the aesthetic, but it's a question of personal taste.

Anyway great job and it's nice to see you back!!

8XL motors for a 4 wheeled vehicle. Mental. Just mental. I also love those CV joints but can't help wondering if they woud be better (or at the very least cheaper) to use blue 3L pins?

I usually love your models but this I have rather mixed feelings about this. Having zero experience with new PF elements and with RC cars in general, my oppinion doesn't count very much - yet I think this is more of a show off and waste than some technic masterpiece. Maybe pushing the lego limits and destroying gears and axles have some sense that I'm missing... I don't know. it doesn't even look like it performs that well, probably loosing a lot of it's overkill power just to carry the weight, fight against the friction and deal woth flex. I hope you find some better use for that motors soon ;)

It was more of an experiment if such a vehicle can be made. I am thinking of making a lighter version with only 4 XL motors using a combination of Fox's and Jaguar's suspension systems.

8XL motors for a 4 wheeled vehicle. Mental. Just mental. I also love those CV joints but can't help wondering if they woud be better (or at the very least cheaper) to use blue 3L pins?

I agree with Jim why are tan pins used in stead of blue or black or grey.

Tan pins have almost no ridges, meaning no friction when they slide. Blue ones on the other hand are rather rough.

Thanks guys, LXF is almost done, gonna upload it tomorrow along an idea for a lighter, smaller version of the Jaguar.