Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Classic-Pirate.com REBORN! Updated 15 July 2015

Visit Classic-Pirates.com NOW!

If you've been following Classic-Pirates.com for the past 6 months you may have noticed it was down, then there was a "Coming Soon..." page then there was a basic landing page featuring the "Latest MOCs".

Now there is a more substantial homepage and access to the old MOC archives. Next we'll be working on updating those archives to the new format and turning them into dynamic MOC Indices.

But you still might be wondering...

WHAT IN BLAZES is happening???

Classic-Pirates.com is being rebuilt from the ground up so we're rolling out new features intermittently and without warning! That means you'll have to check regularly to see the changes.

There will also be loads of Easter Eggs! Hidden stuff, not chocolate. Already there are 4 hidden things... go find them! When you do, take a screenshot and it in this thread.

And there will also be loads of bugs... Please note we will not be supporting older browsers. This shouldn't be an issue for most, unless you use Internet Explorer, so if you really must use IE, then you'll need version 11 or things won't work.

We're also aware of the issue with the MOC carousel on mobile devices and this will be completely revised in a future update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer some questions from the Why is Classic-Pirates.com down? thread.

It sounds like the site's being re-written to offer a LEGO Pirates themed click-and-choose-your-own-adventure story...

"Interactive" doesn't implicitly mean game, it just mean something has interactive features.

Is more content to follow soon? And where will you position Classic Pirates' in regard to Eurobricks, meaning what will its concept be?

The question is mostly answered above but to clarify further, the new Classic-Pirates.com will eventually offer the same content as the previous version but there will be a lot of hidden interactivities.

Not sure but it sounds more like a non lego tactic game which will spam my facebook for weeks :/ Hopefully I am wrong :)

Yes, you're extremely wrong!

• Classic-Pirates.com WIILL NOT post to Facebook on your behalf. There will be features which enable you to manually share content to your favourite social media but only this will only happen if you're the one doing it.
  • Applications can only spam your Facebook feed if you grant them permission - out of common sense never do this!

AArgh, that hurt my eyes and gave me a headache! pirate_sick.gif Other than that looks nice pirate_wubnew.gif

Classic-Pirates.com now has a Settings Panel which allow you to disable the water effect. On the desktop version click on the cog in the top-left corner and select Disable water effect on background in the pop-up.

This bird bobs down when you roll the mouse over it. Is that an easter egg?

knE2v9I.png

I really like the water effect with that background. The cursor seems to be off by a few pixels.

Found one.

EsEKqrP.png

RBXlmDG.png

Are you smart enough to get an audience with Captain Parser?

well,like the water effect with that background. The cursor seems to be off by a few pixels.thanks35.gif

Edited by moneysovn

Visit Classic-Pirates.com NOW!

Classic-Pirates.com now has a Settings Panel which allow you to disable the water effect. On the desktop version click on the cog in the top-left corner and select Disable water effect on background in the pop-up.

Now it is better, thanks.

To get an migraine attack is much worse than the morning after a rum drinking night. pirate_blush.gif

Oh well joking aside, migraine is a serious health issue and those who suffer from them gets my sympathies.

Back to Classic pirates.com, what is the backpack thing?

Classic-Pirates.com has just received another update!

Most of the focus has gone into improving the carousel but there are a few other odds and ends.

• Each thumbnail image is loaded individually and then fades in when ready.
  • Smileys/emoticons are filtered out and the first MOC images is selected as the thumbnail (still in beta).
  • Threads without any suitable images receive a "Coming Soon" thumbnail (with the assumption the thread author will add a suitable image in the near future).
  • When scrolling, drop shadows appear at the left and right ends of the carousel so the thumbnails disappear more smoothly.
  • Twitter and Facebook buttons have been added to the top-right of the page.
  • The mouse cursor has been adjusted so its more accurate.
  • You now have the option to have have the ripple effect on the water but without mouse interaction.
  • The parrot's vocabuary has been vastly expanded... go crazy there!
  • Three new Easter eggs have been added.

And if you're struggling with the parrot it's because you're not being creative enough. Tell him I sea red - the significance behind the outcome will be revealed in time.

You may need to clear your cache or peform a Hard Refresh to download the latest version of the website.

This bird bobs down when you roll the mouse over it. Is that an easter egg?

You did well to find those! thumbup.gif

But it wasn't all of them and now there are more things to discover.

Back to Classic pirates.com, what is the backpack thing?

One of the many mysteries to be revealed in the future...

I'm sure most users find these ongoing developments tantalizing... but old-fashioned me really liked the old, simple, vanilla version. As a lurker I enjoyed viewing old content as much as the new, and my only interest in the site was in the creative aspect. The old MOC archives - so nicely organized - were my favorite feature. This leads me to one question: will that old material (up to the disappearance of the site late last year) still be available in some type of archive on the new site? Obviously it's still on Eurobricks - but finding it is far more challenging. It's not really a big deal, mostly because I don't think I'll be an active participant long-term, but I am curious. Wait and see, huh?

This leads me to one question: will that old material (up to the disappearance of the site late last year) still be available in some type of archive on the new site? Obviously it's still on Eurobricks - but finding it is far more challenging. It's not really a big deal, mostly because I don't think I'll be an active participant long-term, but I am curious. Wait and see, huh?

It was resurrected just yesterday in fact and you can find it here... albeit missing 6 months worth of recent images.

I'm sure most users find these ongoing developments tantalizing... but old-fashioned me really liked the old, simple, vanilla version. As a lurker I enjoyed viewing old content as much as the new, and my only interest in the site was in the creative aspect. The old MOC archives - so nicely organized - were my favorite feature.

Those MOC archives are horrible! They're in the process of being redesigned so they're at least 1000 times better, maybe even 2000. Once done, finding MOCs will never have been more blazingly efficient.

Mister Phes, thanks for your prompt reply. I guess when I spoke of archive organization I was referring to the fact that it was divided into sections for Ships, Land Based, Imperial Guards, etc. which made it somewhat easy to navigate. Also, the chronologic order was sometimes helpful but not always necessary. I look foward to seeing the final product - and perhaps I can offer something "blazing" of my own!

Edited by Captain Dee

Classic-Pirates.com has just received another update!

Most of the focus has gone into updating the homepage layout, but as always, there are a few other odds and ends.

• A Navigation has been implemented. It's fairly limited at the moment but it'll give an indication of the scope of the website.
  • A Facebook Like Box and Mailing List Subscribe Form are available in the footer.
  • Each MOC has a red button which takes you straight to its forum thread. To access the MOC's page on Classic-Pirates.com click/tap the MOC's title.
  • The MOC title on the smaller thumbnails is concealed until mouse-over on desktop devices or the thumbnail is tapped on mobile devices.
  • The latest MOC now appears as a featured image. The MOC categories are beneath the title and will allow you to access the archive pages as per the old website.
  • Textual content pages have also been implemented but this only cover boring legal stuff at this point.
  • The pages have "Facebook News Ticker" style scroll bars which only appear when you mouse-over the far-right of the page or use your mouse's scroll wheel.
  • The new layout is fairly mobile responsiveness, however when switching between browser sizes you may need to refresh the page for the responsiveness to work properly. This will only be an issue if you resize your browser window on desktop devices or switch the aspect ( I.e. from landscape to horizontal) on mobile devices. We shall work to improve the responsiveness in future revisions.

You may need to clear your cache or perform a Hard Refresh to download the latest version of the website.

I love it. However i would like to point out that some older MOCs (one so far :P) have their photos evaporated from the respective sites, so even when you get redirected to eurobricks from classic_pirates, you cant see the pictures but only the comments.

e.g. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99498

It is not a classic-pirates problem per se but anyway. Keep up the good work! We must take these landlubbers by surprise!

You've raised an important issue - the images posted in the LEGO Pirates Forum on Eurobricks are hosted independently from Classic-Pirates.com and in numerous locations, most of which we have no control over.

Nor is it feasible for the forum staff to monitor each thread in case the images become unavailable.

All we can do is host the missing image(s) on Classic-Pirates.com and use that image in the post, providing we can source a copy of the image elsewhere.

The hosting provider was acquired by a new company so they moved all the hosting accounts to a new server.

The DNS should have resolved so give it a try now.