Maus

[MOD] AT-AT 75054

First time posting a mod. Let's see how this goes...

When I bought the 2014 AT-AT, I thought it was a really good set. It's technic frame makes it really stable despite the high centre of gravity, and for a system-scale set it is impressively large. It is very posable.

It has it's problems though. In essence, it's a technic set with some plates tacked on to it. That usually makes for a set with a lot of gaps if you don't get the angles exactly right. It was also very studdy, whereas the "real" AT-AT is relatively smooth. Some of the colour choices seemed very inconsistent (a lot of stray DBL bricks everywhere). And, of course, the cockpit. The sides angled inwards too much, and it could fit only one pilot. Also: it lacked the red view port.

So I decided to try to remedy all that, and basically turned a large pile of plates into a large pile of tiles. In the proces I found out that lighting is really important when trying to take pictures of LEGO. Sorry if it's hard to make out some of the details...

You can find more pictures in this album.

niKNvVv.jpg

This looks really good! I invisioned doing something like this, but I never got around to it. It almost looks like a completely seperate thing, opposed to a mod. I would love to see what you could do to something like this years AT-DP.

Awsome been looking at my at at and thinking how i could mod it more and you just gave my an idea to consider

It's going to be hard to find the time to do some proper instructions for this MOD, but if anyone's interested, I did make an LDD file of the smaller AT-AT. You can find it here: http://dropcanvas.com/jgnio .

I had to substitute this part for this part though, because LDD doesn't seem to have it. It works equally well, but it isn't available in LBG.

Wow. An outstanding MOD. I love the added beefiness. Looks much more intimidating. Very impressive.

This is a fantastic MOD, it looks much better than the stock AT-AT.

This is great. I didn't even think about doing this but I definitely am now. When you did the head to fit the extra pilot, how much modding did that take? Trying to get an idea how much money I'll have to spend getting mine tiled up

This is great. I didn't even think about doing this but I definitely am now. When you did the head to fit the extra pilot, how much modding did that take? Trying to get an idea how much money I'll have to spend getting mine tiled up ������

The head took the most modding to be honest. The angles weren't quite right, there wasn't enough room for two pilots, it was missing greebling and a red visor - I wanted to address all these things. The way it's attached to the neck is still the same though. I wanted to fix that as well - it takes up way too much of the cockpit - but I couldn't be bothered in the end.

For the whole AT-AT, I would guesstimate that I doubled it in price and piece count. Most of the pieces are tiles though, so if you've got a lot of them lying around, it'd be cheaper.

Edited by Maus

The head took the most modding to be honest. The angles weren't quite right, there wasn't enough room for two pilots, it was missing greebling and a red visor - I wanted to address all these things. The way it's attached to the neck is still the same though. I wanted to fix that as well - it takes up way too much of the cockpit - but I couldn't be bothered in the end.

For the whole AT-AT, I would guesstimate that I doubled it in price and piece count. Most of the pieces are tiles though, so if you've got a lot of them lying around, it'd be cheaper.

Ok great. I'll definitely have to give you credit whenever I complete it. Haven't even taken mine out of the box yet. Thank you!

Really nice mod. The original set scored a resounding 'meh', but this looks really good. If only there was a way to make the inside-legs look less technic-y. I guess you could jam some technic half-pins in the holes and slap some 1x8 tiles on there.

Edited by Missing Brick

Really nice work. I've modded both of my AT-ATs to fit in the extra driver and improve things somewhat, but nothing to this extent. I like it!

Really nice mod. The original set scored a resounding 'meh', but this looks really good. If only there was a way to make the inside-legs look less technic-y. I guess you could jam some technic half-pins in the holes and slap some 1x8 tiles on there.

Yeah, I tried that, but it makes the legs look really fat and bulky. You'd have find another way to construct them to make them look like skinny ATAT legs.

That came out VERY nice! :thumbup:

I have the earlier version of the AT-AT, and i would also benefit from a tile treatment like that.

Awesomely mods Maus! So awesome I started copying them on my sons AT-AT. I've got the front and sides of the head copied exactly as yours, but I'm wondering how you connect the sides to main head structure? It seems to be a multi-angle connection which is always difficult in Lego. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!