Rick

LEGO Ideas 21301 Birds

The LEGO Group has released pictures of the upcoming LEGO Ideas set 21301 Birds on the LEGO Ideas blog, along with an interview with Tom Poulsom, the project creator.

15691037358_e1aeda062c_b.jpg

15691037568_78cf8f328e_b.jpg

Nicely done. This looks more promising than what I was expecting. I may have to actually pick this up.

Also, that seems quick, so methinks they were already expecting it, or it just translated that easily to real Brick.

They look fantastic - great display pieces. Love the name plates and bases too. $45 not a bad price for the three, though January is gonna be an expensive month :)

Wow, much better looking than expected, very well done, will be on my to-buy list. The jay is my favorite bird, love to watch them causing a ruckus in my backyard, and teasing the cats and other birds.

Wondering though, the original CUUSOO project was for three birds, then for IDEAS, the rules changed and only one bird was pushed forward. Now we are back to the original submission - go figure.

Edited by JGW3000

By the way, what is the trans-clear part holding the hummingbird, will come in handy for many uses? Nevermind, its a 99784

Edited by JGW3000

I was just coming to post about this set myself. It's quite lovely, and a nice new area for Ideas sets to get into - this is the first one that doesn't represent a vehicle, a pop culture license, or scientific exploration and research. Don't get me wrong - I dearly love all those things, and most of my favorite LEGO sets ever fall into at least one of those three categories (and I also have more than half the CUUSOO / Ideas sets already released), but this clearly establishes that other sorts of Ideas projects are also welcome, and can become official sets.

I will try to get this one myself, though not being tied to a massively successful pop culture license, it might prove to be one of those Ideas releases that goes very quickly, never to return. I hope I'm able to get it in time.

By the way, what is the trans-clear part holding the hummingbird, will come in handy for many uses?

That should be this part, initially used for moving minifigures around in Studios and Xtreme Stunts sets in 2002 and used in a few sets a year most years since then.

That was fast. Wow, though, they look spectacular- love that bluejay especially, but they are all fantastic.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Shows the potential of using Lego to create something that has real style and beauty. Now, I have a Lego product to look forward to. I'll be buying several extra sets for friends.

Didn't really like the idea when I first heard it was going to be a set. But looking at them now, they do look really great. Would be nice to have but probably won't buy it since there's other sets I will want more next year.

Any idea how big or small these are? I'm building a city square and figured these might look good as sculptures in the middle, but only if they aren't dwarfed in comparison to modular buildings.

I think this is the fastest Lego has produced images of a set just weeks after the review video......looks interesting, doesn't really interest me as I'm into town/city.....though they would look nice up high on a shelf. :grin:

Any idea how big or small these are? I'm building a city square and figured these might look good as sculptures in the middle, but only if they aren't dwarfed in comparison to modular buildings.

Quoting official information:

• Blue Jay stands over 7” (18cm) tall on its stand
  • Hummingbird stands over 5” (15cm) tall on its stand
  • Robin stands over 6” (17cm) tall on its stand

Edited by parsom

It's $60 in Canada! :sad: Plus, there's 12% taxes. If it was $45 I would have contacted the store right away.

Quoting official information:

• Blue Jay stands over 7” (18cm) tall on its stand
  • Hummingbird stands over 5” (15cm) tall on its stand
  • Robin stands over 6” (17cm) tall on its stand

Oh that's actually not too bad! Thanks! Might really consider getting it now

Edited by Jern92