Made some last minute updates before contest closes:

15295334454_baa7412176_c.jpg

Check out the main entry topic for the rest of the pictures! (I'm number 11 on the first page)

Hello folks. Here is my entry for the Technic C-Model contest!

It is a civilian variant of the Batpod built using the Technic 8420 Sport Bike set (released in 2005), which has 506 pieces. This is also the first true Technic set I've ever built, other attempts in the past being unsuccessful. I had originally decided on skipping the contest because I had thought any Technic set in my inventory had too high of a parts count, until I saw the B-model for the 8420 set sitting on my nightstand. I thought about building Arcee from the second Michael Bay Transformers movie, but that attempt failed due to sheer difficulty. I then thought about building Demolisher, from the same movie, until I realized neither Arcee nor Demolisher can stand on their own once built. Then, I figured this set was perfect to build a bike from a famous anime movie due to the ample supply of red parts: Kaneda's bike. But, even that required a high skill level, and I'm just not too experienced with Technic. So, I decided on one last option I had in mind, the Batpod. Only problem was the set was not all black, and the tires are not wide enough to get that real Batpod look. So, I decided on what a civilian-variant may look like. Even if a civilian version was built in the real world, it may still feature wide tires though.

But, I went with the build anyways. Here is what I have so far!

15683354321_c837b64a1c_c.jpg

Here are all the pieces in the set, including the extras.

15685277375_becd1a18fa_c.jpg

Here is the build so far.

15499888038_afd14bf850_c.jpg

Side shot, showing the left side.

15500076147_4521edf6ca_c.jpg

Another frontal shot, showing how much pivot is possible with the front for steering, probably has an enormous turning radius...

15685277245_764afff81a_c.jpg

Rear shot. The chain is indeed connected to the animated engine.

15686872042_5d479dfe18_c.jpg

I aimed to make sure the gigantic spring would be used. The spring has quite the good amount of force to keep the bike angled without too much sag.

15683353571_46b33856f8_c.jpg

Some of the panels opened up.

15683353481_0ef6b3c8dc_c.jpg

A side panel opened up to show the 4-cylinder boxer engine. The real Batpod uses hub motors, which I think are electric powered, based on how the bike sounded in the movie...

15500471010_af7277d600_c.jpg

Underbody shot.

15685276615_a4cb8b6541_c.jpg

One more front angle shot with the front sitting straight, rather than pivoted for steering.

15065917803_08e3c764cf_c.jpg

The remaining pieces so far, quite a few of them, too. I couldn't quite come up with an idea for the exhaust tips (those two large light gray pieces that, I think, are usually used as engine nacelles for airplanes). I had originally mounted them at an angle behind the seat, but it just screwed up the overall look of the bike.

That's it so far. I wish to continue improving it or adding to if if needed. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and suggestions.

Here is the Flickr album for the WIP:

https://www.flickr.c...57649073427112/

Edited by BigCatBoy

The contest really boosts creativity among technic minds. We have already seen a few unusual models and this one is also very uncommon. Well done!

Thanks everyone! Glad you guys like it.

I've updated the bike a bit:

15510207340_bd0d7fa4c6_c.jpg

I've removed the two yellow connector elbows that were on the front, and below the body. I felt the yellow color detracted from the overall look. I swapped a black elbow from the seat area with one of the yellow ones because I felt the yellow colored elbow was a better visual fit with the yellow shocks.

15696609602_85ec478bea_c.jpg

I finally figured out an exhaust setup, though it's not the most elegant look. But, I feel it's the best I can do. It looks good, not bad, but I wonder if I could do better. For now, I'll consider it final and leave it alone until a better idea comes about.

15509627578_0ce0e40ee1_c.jpg

Finally got some paper for a makeshift studio, but it wasn't big enough, and the weather's been very murky in my area lately, so not enough strong natural light. In this photo, you can see how the exhaust tips are rather flush with that small panel below it.

Also, though it wasn't shown too well in the initial photos, there were taillights (trans red pieces) next to the rear tire. Due to the exhaust mounting, the lights are now behind the seat. The tire's narrow enough that the lights are still visible from the rear.

Edited by BigCatBoy

This is definitely my favorite TC5 build that i've seen so far. I like the less weapon-like, more futuristic civilian type of look you got. Although I do think you could try to do a bit more of a windscreen/cockpit for the poor rider who's gonna be eating all those bugs and grit.

Cheers

This is definitely my favorite TC5 build that i've seen so far. I like the less weapon-like, more futuristic civilian type of look you got. Although I do think you could try to do a bit more of a windscreen/cockpit for the poor rider who's gonna be eating all those bugs and grit.

Cheers

Thank you! I did try to add a windshield up front, but failed at the time. The set did come with a nice windscreen piece. Since there's still a few days left before deadline, I may try to attach it, see how it may turn out...

Best batpod I've seen, never liked the military ones. Actually considering buying a 8420 after seeing this :sweet:

Thanks everyone. I've made some last minute updates, as posted at the beginning, and on the main entry topic.