Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

Testing the SmartBrick

Here's my video test of the very promising SmartBrick. I know that a number of other folks are testing their SmartBricks at the moment too, so it occurred to me that perhaps we could share our tests in this separate thread.

That smart brick looks awesome,If I do get one I will most likely want to get some proper blue-tooth remote control,will the NXT3 remote work?

Some quick controller reviews or some examples of controllers would be really useful. :classic:

Great first review. The SBrick seems really nice.

I had a stupid idea (again): will the SBrick still work if it is completely surrounded by motors? Won't they affect the BT signal?

I had a stupid idea (again): will the SBrick still work if it is completely surrounded by motors? Won't they affect the BT signal?

I would not of thought so.

Being unable to use my hands I've never been able to 'play with' my PF Technic sets as I can't use Legos' PF controllers. The SmartBrick makes control of these sets and future MOCs possible using my S3 or iPad.

I've been eagerly awaiting release of the UpCore G1 but there's no news as to when, or even if, it'll ever see the light of day so I'm now supporting the SmartBrick. I'll keep an eye on the UpCore project as, like the SmartBrick, it has huge potential to help anyone who, for what ever reason, has trouble using Lego's controllers.

Thank you very much Sariel for the great video. It's very informative, answering all the questions I had about it :thumbup:

EDIT...

I've just tried to look at the UpCore webpage but was greeted with a page telling me that the domain has expired. If this means that the UpCore project is no longer it's a real shame.

I guess that leaves the way clear for the SmartBrick.

Edited by grum64

Thanks for review, Pawel.

How good it works with buggy motor with load on shaft? Could you hold shaft by hand and test how fast it turns off? If possible, compare with v2 reciever

Thanks

Edited by rm8

Thanks for review, Pawel.

How good it works with buggy motor with load on shaft? Could you hold shaft by hand and test how fast it turns off? If possible, compare with v2 reciever

Thanks

The battery box is the limiting factor in V2 receiver... I suppose it will be same here.

The battery box is the limiting factor in V2 receiver... I suppose it will be same here.

So, we need "upgraded" (no thermo shiled) battery block for use with SBricks, right?:)

What I've seen is that SBrick works fine with single motor attached. Any chance of testing 4 of those power-hungry motors, like XL and Buggy, working all together?

Any chance of testing 4 of those power-hungry motors, like XL and Buggy, working all together?

I'm pretty sure the result depends on the power supply, not on the SBrick. In any case, the SmartBrick website and Kickstarter page have detailed info on current limitations and such.

Great Video! I hope SmartBrick becomes reality and goes in to full production.

Being unable to use my hands I've never been able to 'play with' my PF Technic sets as I can't use Legos' PF controllers. The SmartBrick makes control of these sets and future MOCs possible using my S3 or iPad.

I've been eagerly awaiting release of the UpCore G1 but there's no news as to when, or even if, it'll ever see the light of day so I'm now supporting the SmartBrick. I'll keep an eye on the UpCore project as, like the SmartBrick, it has huge potential to help anyone who, for what ever reason, has trouble using Lego's controllers.

Thank you very much Sariel for the great video. It's very informative, answering all the questions I had about it :thumbup:

The SmartBrick will probably be the best thing to control the PF Technic sets next to using

if you have impaired use of your hands. Are you able to use your hands to control a joystick to move a wheel chair, if so then it will be easy to construct a Lego joystick around a phone to overcome the problem.

At first I was a bit skeptical about this but it seems to really work I have to get one now :wub:

Are you sure just "one" ? :laugh:

Great Video! I hope SmartBrick becomes reality and goes in to full production.

The SmartBrick will probably be the best thing to control the PF Technic sets next to using

if you have impaired use of your hands. Are you able to use your hands to control a joystick to move a wheel chair, if so then it will be easy to construct a Lego joystick around a phone to overcome the problem.

I've messaged you a reply :thumbup: