Sign in to follow this  
Razelquin

closing books in LDD

sorry if this question was already asked, but i looked and couldn't find an answer.

I'm currently working on a build that has a library section and need to fill shelves with books.

i found the lego book but can't figure out how to close the thing, i've tried the hinge and flex tools to no avail.

is there a trick to this?

No, the books are unfortunately modelled open. But there is allready a reported wish that the LDD Team will re-model them to be closed, which would be more useful.

Hopefully they can code it to be adjustable any angle from closed to flat open so I could float a partially opened book in front of a minifig to make it appear it's being held and read currently.

I guess it will be either open or shut. But I suppose most want it shut, right?

Why not add a hinge?

Why not add a hinge?

Hinges are related to parts, which are actually assemblies of more parts (like minifig arms on minifig body).

The books are simple parts in real life, not assemblies, so it is very unlikely, that they will make it as assembly.

Making it closeable as a single part would make the part fall into "flex" part category (corresponds also to real part behavior).

Implementation of flex parts is much more complicated a require more effort.

So simplest is to close it and leave it as a closed book.

A similar issue affects the laptop element (62698). That one's even trickier than the book, since while a closed book is almost always more functional than an open one, the laptop is likely to be used in MOCs in a position that is neither 100% open (as it currently is) nor 100% closed (which would be pretty limited functionally). I imagine most MOCs would involve the laptop to be open around 90 degrees (as it would be if it were a real laptop that was in use), so perhaps in a future update they could adjust that accordingly.

A trick you could do is to place two books next to each other so that it appears it is one, closed, book. However this will take up double the space behind the book.