DarthSion

PlayStation general discussion

They deserve it for being so damn busy catering to gen y social retards spending all their time on faceplambook instead of doing better security, like using update software, from what I have read the whole thing is due to Sony running an Apche Sever which was out of date and known to have a key exploit.

It has been said PSN will not be back until next week, maybe Tue/Wed.

You have to realise Sony is completely rebuilding PSN, sending out new SDK to game devs, rumours are also they are rushing a new firmware, then also going to make every sign a new contract with new T&C, then testing the PSN, testing FW.

Of course I am assuming the forensic techs found the flaw and Sony have an idea how to plug it.

Plus the US senate and the FBI are in on it.

All the while MS are rubbing their hands as everyone with ps3 and 360 are on the 360.

Sony to hold press event.

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/sony-to-hold-psn-breach-presscon-tomorrow.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+qj%2Fps3+%28QJ.NET+-+PlayStation+3%29

Edited by DarthSion

They deserve it for being so damn busy catering to gen y social retards spending all their time on faceplambook instead of doing better security, like using update software, from what I have read the whole thing is due to Sony running an Apche Sever which was out of date and known to have a key exploit.

:tongue: You and your Gen Y rubbish. You are aware there is no clear meaning to that term? I could be one depending on what know-it-all-generaliser is making the lecture and selling the book. Besides, I think you're more talking about Gen Z... As for the Apache server stuff, there's no actual facts in regard to that so I have no comments on that for now. Even so, I don't buy into the logic of people deserving problems if they don't take every single precaution. I hope you're equally philosophical when bad things happen to you. Besides, Sony may have been slack and failed to keep servers updated (which is harder to do on a big system integrated than a lot of people realise), but what happened to PSN is a crime.

You have to realise Sony is completely rebuilding PSN, sending out new SDK to game devs, rumours are also they are rushing a new firmware, then also going to make every sign a new contract with new T&C, then testing the PSN, testing FW.

Yeah, more money wasted on patches rather than new features. Thanks hackers. :hmpf:

I am lucky that I haven't given out my credit card info. However, I only play MAG which is online only so I have no good games to play. :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, that does suck. Sony does have my credit card details but I'm not concerned at all; Commonwealth Bank have already posted that they aren't concerned and they'll cover any fraudulent use. If a bank isn't worried why should I be?

:tongue: You and your Gen Y rubbish. You are aware there is no clear meaning to that term? I could be one depending on what know-it-all-generaliser is making the lecture and selling the book. Besides, I think you're more talking about Gen Z... As for the Apache server stuff, there's no actual facts in regard to that so I have no comments on that for now. Even so, I don't buy into the logic of people deserving problems if they don't take every single precaution. I hope you're equally philosophical when bad things happen to you. Besides, Sony may have been slack and failed to keep servers updated (which is harder to do on a big system integrated than a lot of people realise), but what happened to PSN is a crime.

Yeah, more money wasted on patches rather than new features. Thanks hackers. :hmpf:

Yeah, that does suck. Sony does have my credit card details but I'm not concerned at all; Commonwealth Bank have already posted that they aren't concerned and they'll cover any fraudulent use. If a bank isn't worried why should I be?

60s 70s Gen x, 80s 90s gen Y bother, 00s gen z, no its gen Y using facepalmbook because they can't make friends with out a pc.

I admit there is no solid proof but what I have seen leads me to believe out dated software is the problem.

He who fails to plan plans to fail, Sony failed to take steps needed they deserve what they got.

Again its Sony who failed to protect so not the hackers fault Sony has to spend money on new security instead of new features.

How old are you, I am just curious most of the time you seem to be around my age 31 maybe older, yet you say something like the bank is not worried why should I, which makes me think your a kiddy.

The bank is not worried because they have insurance and odds are very low that they would have to do a single refund yet alone multiple.

YOU SHOULD BE VERY CONCERNED, date of birth, credit card number, cvv2, your country your city, your address your gender, everything, they have everything they need to take money, but more importantly they have all they need to steal your identity.

This needs its own post.

It says this week, but it means next week as in tomorrow Monday when the new week starts as this week ends in 8 hours.

Before you ask, JP is the biggest market so it will be JP PSN first, then US then EU.

Press conference from the EU playstation blog.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/05/01/some-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SCEEBlog+%28blog.eu.playstation.com%29

Key info.

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems

• This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games

• Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers

• Access to account management and password reset

• Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo

• PlayStation®Home

• Friends List

• Chat Functionality

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks

• Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption

• Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns

• Implementation of additional firewalls

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.

• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.

• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

60s 70s Gen x, 80s 90s gen Y bother, 00s gen z, no its gen Y using facepalmbook because they can't make friends with out a pc.

Nice opinon but you've clearly got the wrong friends. My friends and family use Facebook to plan their next party. (Many definitions of Gen Y include 70s as well, and many definitions of Gen X include 90s. It's nice though to at last know who you're generalising about.)

Again its Sony who failed to protect so not the hackers fault Sony has to spend money on new security instead of new features.

No, the hackers should go to jail like all criminals.

How old are you, I am just curious most of the time you seem to be around my age 31 maybe older, yet you say something like the bank is not worried why should I, which makes me think your a kiddy.

My profile is correct. Please don't question my honesty and I won't question yours.

The bank is not worried because they have insurance and odds are very low that they would have to do a single refund yet alone multiple.

Exactly. Thus why should I be concerned? I check my credit card statement several times a week for odd transactions, and I've never had a single problem or loss over the 12+ years I've had one. Thus I'm not concerned. Please tell me why I should be concerned.

YOU SHOULD BE VERY CONCERNED, date of birth, credit card number, cvv2, your country your city, your address your gender, everything, they have everything they need to take money, but more importantly they have all they need to steal your identity.

None of this information is actually private in reality. But I never said I wasn't concerned about that anyway, I was talking about my credit card. Please don't misquote me.

This needs its own post.

Indeed it does. Thanks for posting the good news. :sweet:

Wow. Stuff really has being going on during my absence in revision period. :laugh:

It's good they'll have it fixed soon anyway, let's hope those hackers don't try anything else, otherwise I'll have to deal with them personally. *loads shotgun* :angry:

Darthsion, do you honest believe that BLOODY CASUALS ARE RUINING GAEMS, HARDORE COD BRAH. Your posts seem to imply this.

Can't post the link due to stuff on the website but it seems SOE has shut down their severs too.

Sounds like all of Sony's online severs will be shut down.

I also read seems Sony's little sorry yesterday has their stock back up again.

I am guessing now Sony's stock will fall hard.

24.6 million accounts have been stolen, confirmed by SOE.

The personal information of the approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts that was illegally obtained, to the extent it had been provided to SOE, is as follows:

· name

· address

· e-mail address

· birthdate

· phone number

· login name

· hashed password.

In addition to the information above, the 10,700 direct debit records from accounts in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, include:

· bank account number

· customer name

· account name

· customer address.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/02/sony-hit-with-second-attack-loses-12-700-credit-card-nu/

JPN PSN is supposedly back online.

http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/japan-gets-psn-back.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+qj%2Fps3+%28QJ.NET+-+PlayStation+3%29

Edited by DarthSion

Update:

Today our global ntwork and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services.As previously mentioned, we’ve been working around the clock to rebuild the network and enhance protections of your personal data. It’s our top priority to ensure your data is safe when you begin using the services again.We understand that many of you are eager to again enjoy the PlayStation Network and Qriocity entertainment services that you love, so we wanted you to be aware of this milestone and our progress. We will provide additional updates as soon as we can.[/Quote]

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/05/important-step-for-service-restoration/

"Security expert", yeah right. Linux has a firewall built in...

Sort of feel sorry for Sony.

Sure you should, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. If Sony dies out of this (it's been one bad story after another for Sony for the last few years), you'll be left with XBOX and the Wii. The end of gaming in my view...

MAY 31st is Sony's target date to get everything back up.

Sony Corp. (6758)’s PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services remain shut as of today, Shigenori Yoshida, a Tokyo-based spokesman said. Sony is uncertain when it can resume the services, Yoshida said by phone today.The company is in the process of adopting an improved security system and its plan to restart the services fully by May 31 is unchanged, he said. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services April 20 because of possible data theft by hackers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/09/report-sony-plans-to-restart-psn-services-fully-by-may-31/

So Y'know get a backlog of all SP games while you wait. (Try to platinum all 4 Lego games or something)

Edited by simonjedi

Tons of gamers had about had it with the lag that sony consoles have, but now this? As much as I love the Psn, I have to say I will switch to Xbox at some point.

"Security expert", yeah right. Linux has a firewall built in...

Sure you should, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. If Sony dies out of this (it's been one bad story after another for Sony for the last few years), you'll be left with XBOX and the Wii. The end of gaming in my view...

Except I don't if both PSN and SOE were hacked so easily then obviously Sony was not doing the job properly.

Yes because that is what will happen Sony will go broke and close shop.

Even though I saw yesterday this attack has caused Sony to loose billions in stock they will still recover, if not a company with a bucket load of clear profits like Apple will just buy them up and keep the company running.

What wrong with playing games on the PC.

Tiny update.

The internal PSN developer network is online again, at least it seems for some, although things are still a bit shaky at the moment such as lack of new account sign up.

So it looks like they're slowly restoring services.

YExSZ.gifYExSZ.gifYExSZ.gifIMPORTANT UPDATE. PLAYSTATION PATCH IS NOW AVAILABLEYExSZ.gifYExSZ.gifYExSZ.gif

We have been working on a new PS3 system software update that requires all PSN users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. The update (v3.61) is mandatory and is available now.

If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Except I don't if both PSN and SOE were hacked so easily then obviously Sony was not doing the job properly.

They could have tried harder on security, that's a fact. But it still doesn't excuse the criminals who did this.

What wrong with playing games on the PC.

It's a waste of time and money. I got sick of needing to update my computer every year or two just to play badly written games. Consoles are good as they force developers to write better code as they can't do the old "this game is so good it needs a new computer" rubbish. I mostly gave up on PC gaming about ten years ago and the only games I play on my PC now are ones that don't work well on a console; for example RTS games like Homeworld. I'll probably give the "free" Portal 2 game a go though...

Thank you! Downloading now...

Sure it's true; the better read is here. Much of what is mentioned in that story has been talked about earlier. But this is all small stuff... and is hardly fair when you consider how big Sony is. They own a lot of websites, some of which were inherited from buyouts. As the story says;

Most of the flaws that Bumgarner discovered were in other Sony networks -- that of the Sony Corporation of America, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Electronics Corp.

In short, not relevant to PSN at all, and I don't find it disturbing at all, it's just the reality of the internet. Website management is hard work; for example BZP has been offline for over a week doing upgrades. I suspect you'd be surprised to know the amount of work we have done on EB to keep everything running as smooth as possible...

I don't care how big they are or how many sites they have, perhaps if instead of just sacking 200 staff to save more money and put them to security they might have avoided nearly a month of down time.