FGMatt

Black Five Locomotive

Part of a bigger project upon which I'm working, but as I've finished the design I thought I might as well post it here!

It's based on an LMS "Black Five" locomotive mostly because I needed a prototype to work from as I'm imagination-deficient, and I thought that looked about right! Motorised using both a train motor in the tender and a Technic motor driving the main wheels.

I've put together some of the bits, but it's not quite finished in the brick yet so just a render for now. 

AP1GczNhabmenIL2nH6LdXoITdvE72iPoZYqi-IX

Nice work! I do wonder if it will be able to go around curves, since the pistons hang so low as to block the travel of the pilot bogie.

Keep up the good work!

18 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Nice work! I do wonder if it will be able to go around curves, since the pistons hang so low as to block the travel of the pilot bogie.

Keep up the good work!

I think it should be OK as the pistons have a full stud width of space to allow the bogie to turn, however will test thoroughly! 

Nice looking steamer!

And yes, one should always test clearances on all types of track you plan to run on (switches and R__ curves) with a simple prototype that captures all the constraints before getting too far in a design.

especially the switch clearances! the rails reach up to the same height as a plate under any small wheel assembly. But! if you make a pilot truck upside down a tile will sit comfortably over.

Good looking locomotive. NPU with the new dome/sloped curve pieces to create the front of the boiler.

How are you planning on ensuring that the train motor and the technic motor drive at the same speed?

17 hours ago, CastleRail said:

How are you planning on ensuring that the train motor and the technic motor drive at the same speed?

The gearing on the Technic motor should be a little higher by my reckoning, meaning that the train motor has the mechanical advantage and should largely just force the Technic motor to run at the same speed... at least that's the theory! Will see how it works in practice.