Sign in to follow this  
idlemarvel

Lego model railway simple baseboard

In an earlier life I had a small indoor G scale layout which required quite hefty baseboards given the weight of the track and trains.  I still have these in my shed but they are a bit overkill for Lego trains, at least my simple 6-wide short trains.  I wanted a simple baseboard that I could easily dismantle and if necessary transport in my car.  This is what I have come up with.
53231138506_0e774656d2_z.jpg

Basically it is 4 sheets of 2' x 4' 6 mm MDF*.  They are held together by gluing a baton along one edge, and bolting the batons together, along with a backdrop to separate the scenic area from the rest of the layout.  The diagram below shows how it is assembled. Not much to it. It does require a solid table underneath (which I have) but if you had a smaller table you could probably get away with a foot overhang before you got any serious warping. The MDF is covered in green baize on the scenic area.  The friction of the cloth prevents the track from sliding around too much. I'm not a big fan of having wall-to-wall brick scenery, apart from the cost and time to create it, so the green baize is a cheep and cheerful way of hiding the baseboard until I get around to making some buildings etc.
53231443918_0878cd5999_z.jpg

This doesn't allow for any under baseboard wiring but as I have battery powered trains and manual points I don't have a need for it. This will not suit everyone but it might give you some ideas, and it's better than a table top!  

Did you worked on this layout and if yes can you show new pics? Looks like a good idea!

I'm (very) slowly adding some buildings and a platform to the front scenic part but currently it is being used as part of a winter Hogwarts scene for the grandchildren! The baize does a good job of holding the track steady and reducing noise, and the sprung points behind the scenary work well.