Sign in to follow this  

51862698760_5c49edb542_b.jpg

The Red Fort, or Gaer Goch in Welsh, is a small fortification built to keep the local area under the authority of the King. He has installed his Sheriff and a small garrison of men to guard the keep. Two local peasants are allowed on the grounds, for a share of their produce they can fish and graze their livestock.

51862374694_8d5b82eeab_c.jpg

The keep of the fort, I have made the top floor a little fancy for the sheriff to be comfortable, and put in a few details to break up the walls. 

The keep has a connected tower for a watchman to look out over the land. A local rascal seems to have bagged herself some game, daringly close to the castle.

51862374944_56fdcc7a13_c.jpg

The side of the gatehouse and the  second tower.  Guards and knights populate the fort, some knights are simply visiting as they travel from place to place. The travelling fool visits the manors and inns of the county, his little dog part of the act. He has been asked to stay a few days, the Sheriff has guests and would like to entertain them.

51862374579_a40284272c_c.jpg

The plan from above, you can see the well inside the castle, the angled walls I put in to place, the wall walk around the whole space. The footprint is two 32x32 baseplates, minus a quarter at the overlap. The guards and knights were chosen for their colours and the fact I used the Dragon knights for my Yellow Castle project. The Sheriff and his wife with their little dog were a final touch. 

I built this during lockdown in 2020, it has taken me a while to get around to photographing it. I went over to Caldicot Castle to take the photos, it makes for a good backdrop. 

The build process is over in my Instagram photos. I am peppermint_builds if you would like to take a look. I have been a little inactive over 2021 so most images are easy to find. If people are interested, I can post them here properly. 

Hope you enjoy my classic styled build :knight:

Rwy'n ei hoffi! I can imagine this sitting across the valley from the yellow castle, with the two glaring at each other and sending over the occasional arrow! :laugh:  You've captured the vibe of the old classic theme beautifully - the colour and style fit really well - and then the angles and details you've added bring it right into the modern era.  Just need a blue castle now to complete the set :wink:

I really like the neo-classic vibe you gave it. How much bigger will the next blue one be?

The blue build is currently a tower and not a full castle. I had a Wizard who needed a home and a blue brick tower started to take shape. :sweet: