Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

I finished rebuilding the DA set and came here to find the stickers had leaked and I had a lot of reading to do. Now that I'm caught up I have to point out how much I love this leak. Some sticker sheets giving us some insight into a few of the shops included Is a lot more exciting to me than a random minifigure.
 

It is definitely worrying though that Gringotts isn't here. I also would've liked to have the leaky cauldron but I can live without it. Ideally we would get the above ground section of gringotts in this set completing the DA street and we would get the underground section in a set next year. I would also love to at least see the brick section of the the leaky cauldron included. 
 

Also despite being a HP fan for a decade and having read all the books and seen the movies I don't remember Scribbulus at all for some reason. I would've preferred Madam Malkins or the Owl emporium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I finished rebuilding the DA set and came here to find the stickers had leaked and I had a lot of reading to do. Now that I'm caught up I have to point out how much I love this leak. Some sticker sheets giving us some insight into a few of the shops included Is a lot more exciting to me than a random minifigure.
 

It is definitely worrying though that Gringotts isn't here. I also would've liked to have the leaky cauldron but I can live without it. Ideally we would get the above ground section of gringotts in this set completing the DA street and we would get the underground section in a set next year. I would also love to at least see the brick section of the the leaky cauldron included. 
 

Also despite being a HP fan for a decade and having read all the books and seen the movies I don't remember Scribbulus at all for some reason. I would've preferred Madam Malkins or the Owl emporium. 

I agree about Madam Malkins and the Owl Emporium. They would have been great additions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Also despite being a HP fan for a decade and having read all the books and seen the movies I don't remember Scribbulus at all for some reason. I would've preferred Madam Malkins or the Owl emporium. 

I wouldn't bet all my money that we'll actually get the complete Scribbulus shop. I can rather imagine that we get one building with two storefronts, namely Scribbulus and Ollivander's but the interior behind it completely represents Ollivander's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused.  Why does anyone expect a $400 Diagon Alley set to be anything other than a remake of the $150 Diagon Alley set but with more shops?  I mean we have seen Lego remake D2C sets before.  (The Death Star says hello)  We even have a perfect comparison in the form of a Harry Potter set, The Burrow.

10217-1.jpg

Comparing to the original Diagon Alley set, Gringotts wouldn't be significantly larger than the other buildings.  Some of the shops could even be slightly smaller than the original Ollivander's.  I think anyone hopping for an "Assembly Square" style set is going to be really disappointed when we get a remake (albeit expanded) of Diagon Alley.  If there is still a clear backed metallic print sticker sheet I wouldn't rule out getting Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin & Burkes included at that scale too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

I'm confused.  Why does anyone expect a $400 Diagon Alley set to be anything other than a remake of the $150 Diagon Alley set but with more shops?  I mean we have seen Lego remake D2C sets before.  (The Death Star says hello)  We even have a perfect comparison in the form of a Harry Potter set, The Burrow.

10217-1.jpg

Comparing to the original Diagon Alley set, Gringotts wouldn't be significantly larger than the other buildings.  Some of the shops could even be slightly smaller than the original Ollivander's.  I think anyone hopping for an "Assembly Square" style set is going to be really disappointed when we get a remake (albeit expanded) of Diagon Alley.  If there is still a clear backed metallic print sticker sheet I wouldn't rule out getting Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin & Burkes included at that scale too.

I am generally baffled with it all as well:sceptic:

14 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

I wouldn't bet all my money that we'll actually get the complete Scribbulus shop. I can rather imagine that we get one building with two storefronts, namely Scribbulus and Ollivander's but the interior behind it completely represents Ollivander's.

It's very likely it will be like that with all of them (unless the storefront is very memorable) especially as they have three other things releasing this wave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

I'm confused.  Why does anyone expect a $400 Diagon Alley set to be anything other than a remake of the $150 Diagon Alley set but with more shops?  I mean we have seen Lego remake D2C sets before.  (The Death Star says hello)  We even have a perfect comparison in the form of a Harry Potter set, The Burrow.

Comparing to the original Diagon Alley set, Gringotts wouldn't be significantly larger than the other buildings.  Some of the shops could even be slightly smaller than the original Ollivander's.  I think anyone hopping for an "Assembly Square" style set is going to be really disappointed when we get a remake (albeit expanded) of Diagon Alley.  If there is still a clear backed metallic print sticker sheet I wouldn't rule out getting Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin & Burkes included at that scale too.

Because it's a lot more expensive and the LEGO HP reboot team in general cares much more about accuracy than the previous team. Like seriously, aside from those curved windows that building doesn't look anything like Ollivanders. And with the GWP LEGO already showed us they know how to do Diagon Alley well.

Edited by Guyon2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

I'm confused.  Why does anyone expect a $400 Diagon Alley set to be anything other than a remake of the $150 Diagon Alley set but with more shops?  I mean we have seen Lego remake D2C sets before.  (The Death Star says hello)  We even have a perfect comparison in the form of a Harry Potter set, The Burrow.

10217-1.jpg

Comparing to the original Diagon Alley set, Gringotts wouldn't be significantly larger than the other buildings.  Some of the shops could even be slightly smaller than the original Ollivander's.  I think anyone hopping for an "Assembly Square" style set is going to be really disappointed when we get a remake (albeit expanded) of Diagon Alley.  If there is still a clear backed metallic print sticker sheet I wouldn't rule out getting Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin & Burkes included at that scale too.

The same reason 2018 Hogwarts doesn’t look like every other Hogwarts preceding it. The Lego designers with this line understand that adults want accurate sets, and a $400 set is most definitely catering to an older audience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Because it's a lot more expensive and the LEGO HP reboot team in general cares much more about accuracy than the previous team. Like seriously, aside from those curved windows that building doesn't look anything like Ollivanders. And with the GWP LEGO already showed us they know how to do Diagon Alley well.

I'd say Borgin and Burkes is the most inaccurate, although its not really shown clearly that was the blandest building by far in the original set, especially when it was filled with so many great Dark Magic artefacts in the books and films

Also I definitely agree that we need to keep our expectations in check over the size and detail of the buildings, I would definitely expect them to be around the size of that Ollivanders with none bigger than the Privet Drive set (as an example of a building with around 700 pieces). Also the original Diagon Alley already had 2000 pieces! Even if this new set is double that to me I would imagine they would only be able to do 6 shops in detail, even if they did not have full interiors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Because it's a lot more expensive and the LEGO HP reboot team in general cares much more about accuracy than the previous team. Like seriously, aside from those curved windows that building doesn't look anything like Ollivanders. And with the GWP LEGO already showed us they know how to do Diagon Alley well.

Exactly. I don’t see how anyone can even consider a revised version of 10217 as an option. LEGO has proven itself over and over again since the 2018 reboot. We are talking about a $400 D2C set that is designed for 16-18+.

LEGO is doing things differently this time, with an attention to detail and screen-accuracy that continues to surprise and delight us. The 2018 Diagon Alley GWP was a clear indication of how the LEGO designers are envisioning this set. I think a longer version of Assembly Square is exactly the format this set will be in.

Also, is it just me or are others paranoid every time a new member called “Lord” something or “V” something comes around with a ridiculous suggestion about Diagon Alley? I’m literally dealing with post traumatic stress over here :laugh_hard:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, I went back-and-forth on this a few times, but I finally decided to buy a whole set of Series 2 from The Minifigure Store UK. It’ll be the first CMF series I’ve ever gotten all the figures for, and I’m excited to get my hands on them, possibly using some of them (like Harry, Ron, and Hermione) to populate DA if that set doesn’t end up coming with older variants of those characters. Thanks to @RogueTwo for bringing attention to the store! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I'd say Borgin and Burkes is the most inaccurate, although its not really shown clearly that was the blandest building by far in the original set, especially when it was filled with so many great Dark Magic artefacts in the books and films

I know B&B is inaccurate as well but if I was going to sit here and list all the flaws of that set I'd be here all day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if I missed this, but did we ever decide what the two rows of sand green stickers on sheet C are? They look like arches or some kind of building design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that was a lot of new pages! Incredibly hyped for DA, can't wait! 

In my opinion, Gringotts has to be included, from a marketing/business perspective. Personally I'm going with the printed sign theory :P

Expecting tons of minifigs (yay!), at least we are finally getting Rita, Lucius and Lockheart. 

Personally I'm more curious about the layout of the set. As someone mentioned previously, the street pavement is an essential part of DA, and I'm curious to see how the designers incorporate it into the set. Currently I'm envisioning 2 rows of buildings leading to Gringotts, with each side hinged at Gringotts so that they could be "opened" up for display with all the shops in a row, with Gringotts in the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Omega X said:

Expecting tons of minifigs (yay!), at least we are finally getting Rita, Lucius and Lockheart. 

We don't know what minifigures we are getting yet. A Harry and Florean Fortescue have leaked, and a Ron and Hermione are probably a definite, plus FalconFan has hinted at Lucius. But as much as I want Rita and I think we will get Lockhart we don't know yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really curious if Ollivander will be a repeat of the GWP figure or a new version. I would love a DH version from when he’s been imprisoned but I feel like it wouldn’t work very well with Diagon Alley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Apologies if I missed this, but did we ever decide what the two rows of sand green stickers on sheet C are? They look like arches or some kind of building design. 

I think these are three different kind of book covers. Flourish and Blotts has some physically impossible stacked books all around . The only way they could represent these crooked stacks - without them flying everywhere - is with colourful 1x2 and 2x2 jumper plates topped of by a 2x2 tile (the sand green sticker would go on top). The writing on them is blurry, but they are paired and have writing on them which look like "[unreadable] Book"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Omega X said:

Wow that was a lot of new pages! Incredibly hyped for DA, can't wait! 

In my opinion, Gringotts has to be included, from a marketing/business perspective. Personally I'm going with the printed sign theory :P

Expecting tons of minifigs (yay!), at least we are finally getting Rita, Lucius and Lockheart. 

Personally I'm more curious about the layout of the set. As someone mentioned previously, the street pavement is an essential part of DA, and I'm curious to see how the designers incorporate it into the set. Currently I'm envisioning 2 rows of buildings leading to Gringotts, with each side hinged at Gringotts so that they could be "opened" up for display with all the shops in a row, with Gringotts in the middle. 

That would actually be so cool! Though personally I think they’re going to go the one sided street route. 

I think the best set that captures the liveliness of a street or city is the Ninjago City D2C. I know that structure is different, but I LOVE how busy it feels. Hoping this one feels the same :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m really curious if Ollivander will be a repeat of the GWP figure or a new version. I would love a DH version from when he’s been imprisoned but I feel like it wouldn’t work very well with Diagon Alley. 

I think the GWP version is appropriate and, as much as it would mean me getting a duplicate figure, I'd rather they just reused that figure and spent the budget on other new characters rather than slightly changing Olllivander's design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm perfectly fine with them possibly reusing the Ollivander figure from the GWP (especially as I never got it) but I do hope they give him a different hairpiece. The one they gave him works fine but I really don't like the way his hair and sideburns aren't connected to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I'm perfectly fine with them possibly reusing the Ollivander figure from the GWP (especially as I never got it) but I do hope they give him a different hairpiece. The one they gave him works fine but I really don't like the way his hair and sideburns aren't connected to each other.

What hairpiece would you use? Or would you want them to use some of the budget to make a new piece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

Also, is it just me or are others paranoid every time a new member called “Lord” something or “V” something comes around with a ridiculous suggestion about Diagon Alley? I’m literally dealing with post traumatic stress over here :laugh_hard:

Thinking the new Diagon Alley will be similar scale wise to the old set is not even remotely ridiculous.  Come on even the giant $400 Hogwarts has an open back and is missing half the castle.  Also my account and username predate those trolls by years. :wink:

 

14 minutes ago, Omega X said:

Personally I'm more curious about the layout of the set. As someone mentioned previously, the street pavement is an essential part of DA, and I'm curious to see how the designers incorporate it into the set. Currently I'm envisioning 2 rows of buildings leading to Gringotts, with each side hinged at Gringotts so that they could be "opened" up for display with all the shops in a row, with Gringotts in the middle. 

I could actually see that layout working really well at the building scale of the original set with open backs.  It would even work having Gringotts in the middle and Leaky Cauldron and the Weasley's shop on each end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Omega X said:

Currently I'm envisioning 2 rows of buildings leading to Gringotts, with each side hinged at Gringotts so that they could be "opened" up for display with all the shops in a row, with Gringotts in the middle. 

this is very similar to what i was thinking/want, but i cant see how it could work for the price/piece count (unless the piece count is very height). I also dont know how well it would work with open backs, something I would expect seeing how now build from the reboot has been enclosed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

@Metanoios91 Seeing your profile pic just reminded me how cool it would be if Lucius came with his Snake topped cane. 😀

It would be cool. I just shortened the official snake piece and it fits perfectly into a hollow stud. TLG would have to redesign the injection molding tool though, because they inject it at the bottom where I cut it off. That's my only gripe with the new CMF. They should have left out one twin and given us Lucius instead (OOTP variant with the snake cane and a new dual-molded Death Eater mask+hood mould). Because of the new mask mould it would worked as an Army builder minifig for death eaters and would have been a topseller because everyone would want multiples

Edited by Metanoios91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.