VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer

48679897786_9b4b2449f5_c.jpg

75252 Imperial Star Destroyer™

Ages 16+. 4784 pieces

US $699.99 CA $849.99 DE €699.99 UK £649.99 – FR €699.99 DK 5299DKK --$1099.99 AUD  

*Euro pricing varies by country.  Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Own the ultimate Imperial Star Destroyer!

Build and display an icon of the Galactic Empire – the Devastator. With over 4,700 LEGO® pieces, this Ultimate Collector Series 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer model captures all the authentic details of the starship as it appeared in the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope, including swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts, intricate surface detailing and of course a buildable scale version of the Rebels’ Tantive IV starship to chase down. This galactic civil war UCS set also includes a display stand with informational fact plaque and 2 Imperial minifigures, making it the perfect LEGO Star Wars collectible for discerning fans.

·         Includes Imperial Officer and Imperial Crewmember minifigures.

·         The Devastator Imperial Star Destroyer model features swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts and intricate surface detailing.

·         Also includes an attachable, buildable scale version Tantive IV starship for added Star Wars: A New Hope authenticity.

·         With a display stand with informational fact plaque for the ultimate display piece.

·         Also comes with 2 blaster pistol weapons.

·         This Ultimate Collector Series set has 4,784 pieces.

·         Inspire unforgettable Star Wars: A New Hope moments.

·         The perfect LEGO® Star Wars™ collectible for fans of the Star Wars saga.

·         UCS model on display stand measures over 17” (44cm) high, 43” (110cm) long and 26” (66cm) wide, and over 14” (37cm) high without stand.

Available directly from LEGO Stores & shop.LEGO.com from 18th September, 2019

48680068882_924589db58_c.jpg

48680066047_ede0f857ed_c.jpg48679550268_d02a6a0f93_c.jpg

48680059312_6d7c899f35_c.jpg

48674447721_5c7bb94c87_c.jpg

48674451476_89de8de469_c.jpg

48674113358_fcecffab09_c.jpg

48674450751_8f35113b03_c.jpg

48674450031_23e304ec74_b.jpg

48674106388_6260f843b4_c.jpg

48674446516_cce04f8272_c.jpg

48674617037_4208366a6d_c.jpg

A beautiful upgrade over 10030!!! Looking forward to some first reviews! Still have to hand the aesthetic prize to Raskolnikov, OneCase, and Jerac, but I'm sure a bit of tiling and extra greebling could do wonders!

Thanks for sharing, @VBBN!

As Incognito said, this thing is huge. I'm loving the design of the swiveling guns.

I'm really curious to see how they hold this one together.  The last one was loosely coupled with magnets (a part they don't even make anymore) and after about a decade on display it started sagging under its own weight in odd places.  Of course today they've got a nice assortment of ball and socket connecters to deal with funky angles that didn't exist back then so that might be part of the solution.

As I recall, the last one also was a bit tedious (lots of 10x sub assemblies and the like).  I hope this one mixes things up a bit more.

So I guess on the one hand, it's "been there done that" but part of me is really looking forward to this update.

Wow I’m really impressed with this, it looks awesome especially for the number of parts used. I like how there are no gaps where the greebles are! Obviously is nowhere near the standard of the mocs out there but they have to work with many constraints. 

I think it looks fantastic, but not at that price. LEGO can get away with the UCS MF and a decent set of minifigures for £650. But not this time. Two minifigures, no interior, just detailed plates on a frame. Very nice detailed plates on a frame, but still. That isn't a £650 set in my view.

I already can see bricks which aren't very common, or haven't been used in years, like those huge tiles, modified with studs, or the tile 6x6. Then we have Technic, Panel Plate 5 x 11 x 1 Tapered, Technic, Panel Plate 5 x 11 x 1, Technic, Panel Plate 3 x 11 x 1. Lots of large parts in general, like the Plate 16 x 16 (which surprisingly saw a SW set only once before (white, Betrayal at the Cashier)). Then looking at the weight, makes €700 look quite fair. I'll wait for the occasional 25-30% discount, but it's a sure buy.

I mean it looks nice, but $700 for <5k pieces is trying it on. It can't really be all that special, can it?

Price per piece is an overrated metric. Price per volume or price per weight is a much better metric in my opinion. With as many large pieces this set has, $700 seems about right.

The build itself looks fantastic, but I'm having a really hard time justifying that $700 USC price tag. For that price, I would expect at least some interior detailing and additional minifigures to appeal to a wider audience of AFOLs (myself included).

In short, it just doesn't "wow" me as much as a $700 set should. Wake me up when this hits $600 or less.

15 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

I already can see bricks which aren't very common, or haven't been used in years, like those huge tiles, modified with studs, or the tile 6x6. Then we have Technic, Panel Plate 5 x 11 x 1 Tapered, Technic, Panel Plate 5 x 11 x 1, Technic, Panel Plate 3 x 11 x 1. Lots of large parts in general, like the Plate 16 x 16 (which surprisingly saw a SW set only once before (white, Betrayal at the Cashier)). Then looking at the weight, makes €700 look quite fair. I'll wait for the occasional 25-30% discount, but it's a sure buy.

And the LBG levers. They are currently rather expensive on BL.

13 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

AND the gray levers, yay !

I think it looks a bit too retro (really LOTS of studs) especially compared to the most recent UCS sets. I actually had high hopes for wedge tiles becoming a reality with this set :'(
Also, with so many quality ISD MOCs out there (granted, they easily have twice or thrice the number of pieces), it definitely doesn't look as impressive as it should have.

Still a cool set, if it ever reaches 550€ or less it will be mine.

Funny how 20 tiny parts can make grown men wet their pants out of sheer excitement.

THIS IS  LEGOOO! :laugh:

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

Alright, I was waiting on this before budgeting out Tripple Force Friday it's a absoloutely lovely set, it looks pretty good and looks to be an improvement over the old one, but I'm gonna have to pass on this, at least for now at the minimum. Even if money weren't a concern I honestly don't know where I'd store it at the moment, and I admit a big draw for me are minifigs, so getting another technician and officer alone isn't ideal.

Like I said though, it's looking like a great set, even if it isn't at the top of my most wanted list at the moment.

6 hours ago, K_W said:

A beautiful upgrade over 10030!!! Looking forward to some first reviews! Still have to hand the aesthetic prize to Raskolnikov, OneCase, and Jerac, but I'm sure a bit of tiling and extra greebling could do wonders!

Thanks for sharing, @VBBN!

Um the MOC ISD's will always be better than what LEGO puts and that's a fact. And comparing the those ISD MOC's is like comparing a professional baseball team (Idk Dodgers) to a middle school baseball team lol. 

Edited by Evergreen

10 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

Um the MOC ISD's will always be better than what LEGO puts and that's a fact. And comparing the those ISD MOC's is like comparing a professional baseball team (Idk Dodgers) to a middle school baseball team lol. 

100% agree. However, those "pro teams" come at a heftier price typically. Pros and cons to all. After some extensive modding, I'm sure 75252 could look even more impressive that it is now. 

I'm not in the market for any set above... meh, $200ish, simply because I can't afford it, so I feel like commenting on price is pointless in my case. It is an exciting set nonetheless and I have a few initial observations:

First, For the detail and size, the part count is actually quite moderate. I know from experience that it's very easy to have close to finished model and then add some detailing and double the part count. I feel like that's something that makes the job of Lego designers much more challenging and they have to really master the skill for efficient part usage.

I also really like the greebling. Somehow, very often the UCS sets feature some examples of greebling which look so great to me, and I can't even say why. If you push me against the wall I would say that it's because of its simplicity and elegance, and selective use of interesting patterns. Some ISD mocs have objectively much more intricate and perhaps accurate (if that's even measurable) greebles, yet they look less clean and eye-pleasing than this.

On the other side, I am really not that sold on the back side. Starting with the panel edges which seem cheap to me with the overhanging 2x3 tiles and accompanying jumper plates connected from the bottom side. The thrusters themselves are no work of art either IMO. I am not with the crowd that claims they should be dome instead of a cone, I mean, I haven't studied the reference all that much but I always saw some sort of truncated cone with a quick transition to a cylinder and then entering the hull. Anyway, despite the shape, choice of these large cone pieces just seems lazy (though it might have saved some pieces). The rim is ugly and these 3 flaps don't bring salvation either.

In the video, the designer cherishes the idea of building with existing elements and I agree that it's not great to create a ton of new parts in whenever there is a slight need. But one or two new molds would I think fit the set like this one. like a faceted 4x4 half dome for the deflectors, which simply don't look great smooth like this. Or something to help out with the miserable thrusters.

Last, Not sure if thats just the camera angles in the video, but I noticed quite a lot of colorful internal parts showing through the gaps. Perhaps just the excessive studio lighting... I could imagine the inside should be pretty dark most of the time.

All in all, I don't think this is a letdown of any kind, though, once again, I don't consider the price, which may or may not be really high.

34 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

It’s more working with constraints. Official sets & MOCs aren’t comparable in my opinion. MOCs don’t necessarily have a limit they have to work in. Official sets have a price to meet. The only real limitation MOCs have is the patience a person has to work on a project. 

1 hour ago, K_W said:

100% agree. However, those "pro teams" come at a heftier price typically. Pros and cons to all. After some extensive modding, I'm sure 75252 could look even more impressive that it is now. 

Definitely. I just think MOC's and sets shouldn't be compared since MOC's have much more freedoms than sets. And MOC's look absolutely fantastic lol

41 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

It’s more working with constraints. Official sets & MOCs aren’t comparable in my opinion. MOCs don’t necessarily have a limit they have to work in. Official sets have a price to meet. The only real limitation MOCs have is the patience a person has to work on a project. 

I absolutely agree. Its just that a lot of people have been comparing ISD MOC's like Raskolnikov's or Onecase's to the new UCS set which sets over-the-top expectations.