Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I LOVED building Jerac's A-wing so much that decided to give a go at the Resistance RZ-2 A-Wing.  I chose dark blue, because a few crucial pieces were not made in the regular blue color, and I still feel it works. I tried to be as accurate as possible, while sticking to mini-fig scale, without using stickers.  No real play features, as I was going for accuracy, but it's durable and swooshable.  I'm really pleased with how the "humps" on the hood, and the red lines, or "call-sign" on the wing turned out.  As you can see in the pictures you can change the number of red lines to your liking - and they fit snuggly and wont fall out.  

Let me know what you think!

 

48540026192_ba68b91c9a_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539878161_1f5b5f68d8_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539877431_ebbcff7877_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48540025602_f2b01bda48_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48540026857_c560b74ca3_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539878456_d8be6ab3ae_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539877991_4d57c1b8d9_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48540025117_d06c140bd1_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539877001_aafbeda306_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

48539877586_91e8a6c41d_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by M G, on Flickr

 

Edited by Gumbinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moc looks great, the best RZ-2  I have seen to date, even better than bertholts version on rebrickable. 

The new modified round tiles only comes in dark blue, and the dark blue looks great against the white.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful rendition!  The shaping on the bottom is especially good.  Great build!  :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks amazing, stellar job on the detailed cockpit!  I love the seat and the control panel. Colors, shaping, and the smoothness are all great, especially the studless underside!  How similar is the frame to Jerac's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fantastic! The flow of the blue stripe is amazing, I love how it gets thicker in the bend. I wonder how you got the slight inward taper on the thruster fins - how are the engine blocks connected to the hull. Oh and last - is that ball joint piece that connects the canons on the sides still being made or is it a discontinued piece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wurger49 said:

The moc looks great, the best RZ-2  I have seen to date, even better than bertholts version on rebrickable. 

The new modified round tiles only comes in dark blue, and the dark blue looks great against the white.

 

 

Thank you - very much appreciated!

22 hours ago, deraven said:

What a wonderful rendition!  The shaping on the bottom is especially good.  Great build!  :classic:

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Moppo said:

Ooh, now that's a nice A-Wing!

Glad you like it!

13 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Looks amazing, stellar job on the detailed cockpit!  I love the seat and the control panel. Colors, shaping, and the smoothness are all great, especially the studless underside!  How similar is the frame to Jerac's?

Thank you!  Here are a couple more shots of the cockpit detail

48547542546_e6dc7b8e36_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48547541991_9cd357f9ad_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

 

The frame is kinda sorta similar - the way the hood and underside slope towards the front is done in a similar fashion, the engine connections are similar, and the cockpit borrows a couple ideas.  I originally sat down with his directions in front of me, but quickly realized there isn't enough room for all the stuff he did in his RZ-1, and just started putting bricks together.

12 hours ago, Wurger49 said:

are you going to have instructions and parts lists? please

Maybe?  Depends on if there is enough interest.. 

9 hours ago, Kristof said:

That's fantastic! The flow of the blue stripe is amazing, I love how it gets thicker in the bend. I wonder how you got the slight inward taper on the thruster fins - how are the engine blocks connected to the hull. Oh and last - is that ball joint piece that connects the canons on the sides still being made or is it a discontinued piece?

Thank you! The fins are attached in a similar fashion as Jerac's RZ-1 - see pic below.  Fairly simple, yet effect connection.

48547692972_1f4228eef3_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

 

I believe the ball joint is no longer in production in light gray - they still make it in yellow though.  

48547694072_7df8a0be6c_h.jpgRZ-2 A-WING by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gumbinger said:

Maybe?  Depends on if there is enough interest..

I'd certainly be interested to see how it's put together. I'm curious about the upside-down construction, I spent ages messing with my A-Wing's underside before I was happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great build! The building techniques are very interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb build. Pretty close to the original, you even managed to incorporate the "tubes" for the missile launchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleek and elegant shaping, good colouring and detailing. I also like the cockpit. Very snug and tidy. Great build! :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Moppo said:

I'd certainly be interested to see how it's put together. I'm curious about the upside-down construction, I spent ages messing with my A-Wing's underside before I was happy with it.

I certainly have a lot of interest, and sure others will too.

Here is bertholt's version, I made some minor changes. It is still a very good moc, but your one trumps it now, in terms of complexity, shape and accuracy. 

48550823407_06a3fb4eb6_c.jpgIMG_6312 by R Y, on Flickr

48550822022_4b6d687c3c_c.jpgIMG_6313 by R Y, on Flickr

48550820812_0ba928874e_c.jpgIMG_6314 by R Y, on Flickr

48550819957_b25bb2bf02_c.jpgIMG_6316 by R Y, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! Shame they got so little on-screen time.
I'd try curved 2x2 slopes on the sides of engines, or maybe even using very old 3x6x3 engine blocks for engines, to get more curvature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That makes two people!  I'll see what I can do - maybe some instructions "Inthert style"

On 8/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, Wurger49 said:

I certainly have a lot of interest, and sure others will too.

Here is bertholt's version, I made some minor changes. It is still a very good moc, but your one trumps it now, in terms of complexity, shape and accuracy. 

 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, Moppo said:

I'd certainly be interested to see how it's put together. I'm curious about the upside-down construction, I spent ages messing with my A-Wing's underside before I was happy with it.

 

 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, Jerac said:

Very nice! Shame they got so little on-screen time.
I'd try curved 2x2 slopes on the sides of engines, or maybe even using very old 3x6x3 engine blocks for engines, to get more curvature?

So little screen time! Hopefully more in The Rise of Skywalker

2x2 curved slopes won't work b/c the engines need to be smaller than the RZ-1 - 3 studs wide instead of 4 studs wide on the RZ-1.   I wish they made 1x1 curved slopes that I could use instead of the 1x1 and 1x2 regular slopes that I used on the sides of the engines.  I initially started with the 3x6x3 engine blocks, but couldn't quite get them to work for me.  Thanks for the suggestions!  

Edited by Gumbinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say, you have me baffled. I've been trying to figure out for a while now how you attached those round 4x4 plates behind the cockpit. Every connection I can come up with intersects the upper mudguard piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moppo said:

I must say, you have me baffled. I've been trying to figure out for a while now how you attached those round 4x4 plates behind the cockpit. Every connection I can come up with intersects the upper mudguard piece.

I, uh, cheated... sorry to all that I offend!

Connecting the round 4x4 plates behind the cockpit was a fun challenge.  I went through about 4-5 different connection points, but settled on this one.  It had to be offset every so slightly to line up with the cockpit.

48627254188_9bbaf8588f_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48627603636_4e1f6ebf9a_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48627752637_ba9cf34bd2_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48627752507_72eac6ac31_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

 

And here's the part where I cheated....  I originally uses a regular bracket and used 1x4 curved slopes similar to Jerac.  It looked fine, but then I saw these pieces and thought what a shame it was that they were 2x2.  So I cut the piece down to size.  I thought I could make it work without cutting the plate by having it sit in the open space of the dark blue round 4x4, but I couldn't get it to work.

48627253938_16bf6259ba_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, you scoundrel!

To be fair, that should be an official piece.

I must say, it's being quite fun trying to figure this model out. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moppo said:

Haha, you scoundrel!

To be fair, that should be an official piece.

I must say, it's being quite fun trying to figure this model out. :P

Glad you are enjoying it!  

P.S. - I'm working on instructions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, Gumbinger said:

Glad you are enjoying it!  

P.S. - I'm working on instructions 

Thank you, looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 1:49 AM, Gumbinger said:

Glad you are enjoying it!  

P.S. - I'm working on instructions 

Can Not wait for that! Great model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**UPDATE** 

I finished the Stud.io model this weekend and tinkered with some color-swaps.  I didn't check to see if LEGO makes all the pieces in the colors needed, so I'm sure I will need to edit them when I make instructions.  For example, I know they don't make the ice cream cone piece in red or green, but I can swap those out for regular cones.  I didn't spend much time on the red or green models, I only swapped colors.

48670496638_fea390dabc_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing BLUE by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496578_707c93484a_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing RED by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496618_c3472cc05f_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing GREEN by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gumbinger said:

**UPDATE** 

I finished the Stud.io model this weekend and tinkered with some color-swaps.  I didn't check to see if LEGO makes all the pieces in the colors needed, so I'm sure I will need to edit them when I make instructions.  For example, I know they don't make the ice cream cone piece in red or green, but I can swap those out for regular cones.  I didn't spend much time on the red or green models, I only swapped colors.

48670496638_fea390dabc_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing BLUE by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496578_707c93484a_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing RED by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

48670496618_c3472cc05f_b.jpgRZ-2 A-Wing GREEN by GUMBINGER, on Flickr

Wow, they look fantastic! Thank you for designing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking great! I can tell you that the large sloped wedge pieces don't come in red at all, I already checked. Though I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

EDIT: I was wrong, kinda. Those wedges do exist in red. But Studio lists them as £7.29, which is probably as good as non-existent. xD

Edited by Moppo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.