Hai hai,

After lurking for a good while, I've decided to stop lurking and join in! I've made a character based on an NPC in my D&D campaign, so it's a little different than anything I've seen here so far.
So I want to thank Bregir for letting me bounce some ideas on him to see if it were to fit within. And this is what I/we came up with in the end. Excuse the poor photography, I'm horrible at that stuff :P.
And yes, it's a rather long base story, but that's what you get when playing lots of D&D, and it's short for the usual things honestly... ^^

------ Émilie de la Mer.

This story, is one of a peculiar history. However peculiar or not, this is the story of Émilie, my story.
I am not just your ordinary girl, far from it, to be specific.

My father was just an every-day type of sailor aboard an Oleon merchant. When one day the ship he was on got sunk in a massive storm. Miraculously he was the sole survivor, drifting in the open seas, without any rescue in sight.
Praying to whomever he could think of asking if he could see land again, as he would give everything for that.

After many days at sea, he heard someone singing. He desperately started rowing with his hands, as fast as he could.
Upon arrival, he stumbled across a small island, with a beautiful woman standing on a pier.

Was this a sign of the prayers? Was it dumb luck? I honestly don't know, but I'm glad he survived.

Eventually he settled with the woman, whose name was Charlotte. Together they got a child, me. My mother passed away after childbirth, as is relatively common in these times... I've heard many loving stories about my mum. Perhaps I'll tell them some other time.

He had told me that one day he found an engraved skull on the beach, sparking his interest for magic. Particularly dark and forbidden magic. He never truly got anywhere with it, although one time something did happen...

Anyhow, his actions did spark my interest too. As a child, I went and helped with these rituals, I read all the books I could find and get my hands on with the small amount of money we had.

So, here comes the part where I explain why I'm not your 'typical' girl.
When I was about 15 or so, we were experimenting with an incantation and something went wrong. My father told me he saw a purple flash in my eyes as it happened, which always seemed odd to me as nothing else happened. Or so we thought...

After 'the accident' happened, through the years, I started to hear voices, not from people, but from certain animals and creatures. As if I could speak with them, communicate, in a way. At first I couldn't control what or who I heard. I thought I was going crazy at first. But a few years back I got into full control of this ability. And it helped me in a way, to no longer feel all by myself.

We stopped the magic attempts after the accident. But deep inside I knew I still wanted to try more, do more, experience more. I can communicate with animals, imagine the thinks I could still do! The longing is only growing stronger...

I tried to tell people about what I could, I went to temples, churches, libraries, anything.
But every time I was shunned away. The people are saying I'm traumatised by my fathers experiments and his sudden disappearance when I was 17. That I'm just another lonely and lost girl out of the many...

But they are wrong, and I'll show them eventually...!

Skipping forward to today, to a 23 year old me.
Despite living my life mostly on the dry, I try to stay touch with the unknown as much as I can. I regularily spend hours
upon hours in the darkness of the forrest, or at the rotten pier near where my house. Especially since this is locally known as the place where the Ferryman picks up
his passengers. As such, everyone but me avoids this place like the plague... But I find it interesting, as if I'm somehow drawn to this place...

A few days ago I was at the pier again and I came across a bottled letter.

It comes from someone who calls themself "The Emissary" and they claim to have known my dad, that they know what happened to me. Even that he has the means to achieve more but that I am the missing link and he needs me...

To be honest, I am not sure what I feel about this. But for some reason, I want to go on this adventure, take this chance... I feel like I should do this...

All he wants me to do, is respond to this letter, and throw the bottle back into the sea...