LegoAcklay

LDD How to deal with many bricks and lag?

Trying to make castle black from the show Game of Thrones starting lagging massively at 9000 bricks now I'am at 20709 bricks is there any further way to cut down the lag and maybe hide bricks but not make them loaded until necessary or to only load bricks currently seen within the viewport?

Even copying parts and importing them is stressful the collision calculations bog everything down. Have a decent PC but it's almost impossible moving big chunks around. Set all the graphics to low. Is there anything that can be tweaked to tone down the collisions?

Maybe some feature of the developer mode can help with this.

Maybe toggling collision physics would help? But I think you should split the model into several small ones, since you are risking corrupting the file.

Some suggestions are:

• Using a powerful PC
  • Split the model in submodels with (easy connection points among submodels)
  • Use the Hide Bricks feature of LDD, hiding the part of the model where you are not working on.
Edited by Calabar

I once tried to build something in LDD which was large not in terms of the Brick Count but its physical size. With a staggering 32 48x48 Baseplates in a 8x4 arrangement this soon crashed my LDD as there was an infinity amount of connection points via the studs. I posted elsewhere on Eurobricks and was advised to remove the Baseplates to disconnect the model and before doing that someone managed to open my file by opening LDD with Maximum Compatibility Mode on and turning all Advanced Graphics off. Although another person kindly removed the Baseplates for me I still failed to open the modified file and eventually I rebuilt the model in a much smaller scale. This time the smaller build also started to crash unexpectedly so I immediately removed all the Baseplates (this time I only have 18 48x48 Baseplates in a 6x3 arrangement) before I continued building and the file is completely fine now, although you can see the white floor of LDD through the Transparent Blue Plates and in gaps where certain Bricks were built directly above the Baseplates but were then moved aside to form a construction site. Therefore, if your build is getting too large to handle you can choose to remove the Baseplates.

On the other hand, disabling the Sound of LDD may help run your builds faster as it will supposedly help prevent LDD from crashing by loading less components. As mentioned in the previous post, using the Hide Tool is a great option but please remember that when you save your file the Bricks which were hidden will not be saved as hidden Bricks and when you restart LDD or reopen the file all Bricks will be shown again, so this may only be a temporary solution.

Another thing to mention is related to the Graphics Card of your PC or Laptop. When an earlier build crashed LDD on my Laptop I emailed the LDD Development Team and they revealed that my Laptop had both an Intel Graphics Card and a more powerful NVidia Graphics Card. Under their suggestions I set the NVidia Graphics Card as the default one for all of my programmes and this proved to be very helpful. In addition, check if the properties of your Graphics Card(s) meet the basic requirements of LDD as in my case the Intel Graphics card did not have enough Dedicated Video Memory before I upgraded to Windows 10 (I only had 64 MB while LDD needed 128 MB, although it magically changed to 128 MB after the upgrade). Even after the upgrade, 128 MB was barely enough and using the NVidia Graphics Card was my best solution.

Hope that my past experiences with LDD can help you finish your large builds with less problems to deal with.

On 07/07/2017 at 5:49 AM, Zero (Zblj) said:

Maybe toggling collision physics would help? But I think you should split the model into several small ones, since you are risking corrupting the file.

Can't seem to place chunks properly though on this I go over a plate but it stays in the middle and it still lags excessively not sure if less or like before though. Need the file to remain as one to use with BrickFab.

11 hours ago, suenkachun said:

I once tried to build something in LDD which was large not in terms of the Brick Count but its physical size. With a staggering 32 48x48 Baseplates in a 8x4 arrangement this soon crashed my LDD as there was an infinity amount of connection points via the studs. I posted elsewhere on Eurobricks and was advised to remove the Baseplates to disconnect the model and before doing that someone managed to open my file by opening LDD with Maximum Compatibility Mode on and turning all Advanced Graphics off. Although another person kindly removed the Baseplates for me I still failed to open the modified file and eventually I rebuilt the model in a much smaller scale. This time the smaller build also started to crash unexpectedly so I immediately removed all the Baseplates (this time I only have 18 48x48 Baseplates in a 6x3 arrangement) before I continued building and the file is completely fine now, although you can see the white floor of LDD through the Transparent Blue Plates and in gaps where certain Bricks were built directly above the Baseplates but were then moved aside to form a construction site. Therefore, if your build is getting too large to handle you can choose to remove the Baseplates.

On the other hand, disabling the Sound of LDD may help run your builds faster as it will supposedly help prevent LDD from crashing by loading less components. As mentioned in the previous post, using the Hide Tool is a great option but please remember that when you save your file the Bricks which were hidden will not be saved as hidden Bricks and when you restart LDD or reopen the file all Bricks will be shown again, so this may only be a temporary solution.

Another thing to mention is related to the Graphics Card of your PC or Laptop. When an earlier build crashed LDD on my Laptop I emailed the LDD Development Team and they revealed that my Laptop had both an Intel Graphics Card and a more powerful NVidia Graphics Card. Under their suggestions I set the NVidia Graphics Card as the default one for all of my programmes and this proved to be very helpful. In addition, check if the properties of your Graphics Card(s) meet the basic requirements of LDD as in my case the Intel Graphics card did not have enough Dedicated Video Memory before I upgraded to Windows 10 (I only had 64 MB while LDD needed 128 MB, although it magically changed to 128 MB after the upgrade). Even after the upgrade, 128 MB was barely enough and using the NVidia Graphics Card was my best solution.

Hope that my past experiences with LDD can help you finish your large builds with less problems to deal with.

Have a lot of big plates as well. Through a lot of them have coverings but it's a good idea to remove them all and maybe try to fit them in at the end. They have a lot of polygons on them because of the studs and the curved corners.

Using only Nvidia 980 + 8 gb ram i7

Have you tried disabling the outlines of bricks in the options? That's the first thing I do if it get's laggy and it helps greatly on slower PCs.