Hewman

A quick comment on spam

Recommended Posts

Have you guys considered using service like CloudFlare to prevent botnets from crawling the site?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, makoy said:

Have you guys considered using service like CloudFlare to prevent botnets from crawling the site?

Personally I haven’t. I don’t have PHP knowledge, so I am not really sure how to implement this on our server, working witg the Invision forum software. Enlighten me :wink: 

7 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

And the spammer have now officially correct answer for the security questions... :look:

I started with a more open question, like “why do you want to join Eurobricks?”, but that probably won’t do the trick either. Let’s test the current questions for a week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

And the spammer have now officially correct answer for the security questions... :look:

NO!!!!

Dirty mangy slimy spammers...  Online traffic jammers... Can we hit them all with hammers? :jollyroger:

At least the forums have been mostly clean this past week. I was taken by surprise by the security question, but something needed to be done, for sure. They were replicating like chopped-up starfish. And they smell about as bad, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim said:

Personally I haven’t. I don’t have PHP knowledge, so I am not really sure how to implement this on our server, working witg the Invision forum software. Enlighten me :wink: 

I started with a more open question, like “why do you want to join Eurobricks?”, but that probably won’t do the trick either. Let’s test the current questions for a week or so.

As long as one of the admins has access to DNS and some server extensions, that should be the only technical part of the service that you need to figure out: 

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/sections/200820158-Cloudflare-101

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170786-Why-do-my-server-logs-show-CloudFlare-s-IPs-using-CloudFlare-

So it's not really PHP knowledge you need to know, rather server configurations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds feasible! Maybe I will get back to you on this one. If you don't mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jim said:

Sounds feasible! Maybe I will get back to you on this one. If you don't mind.

If a guy like me can do it, so can you! :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

stop forum spam worked back in the day.

Not sure how i works with your setup or if it is still effective.

 

Edited by xzanfr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, Pdaitabird said:

It's time we fight back: we should flood Korean dating websites with pictures of MOCs!

No Russia did it, let’s flood Putin’s inbox with LEGO set reviews!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TESLA IS THE FUTURE said:

No Russia did it, let’s flood Putin’s inbox with LEGO set reviews!

He might actually enjoy that. Who even knows whether there's a secret LEGO vault in the Kremlin? ;-) With an estimated personal wealth of several billion he could be one of LEGOs biggest customers....

Mylenium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Forum I was on got a lot of  spam accounts. What the moderators did to solve it was they had to personally accept each new member. It cut down on the spam big time but one would sneak by every now and again.

Perhaps that could help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Another Forum I was on got a lot of  spam accounts. What the moderators did to solve it was they had to personally accept each new member. It cut down on the spam big time but one would sneak by every now and again.

Perhaps that could help?

That's what we are currently doing :tongue: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jim is it so, that you as a existing member only have to fill in the themes you are interrested in?  When i sign in, i have seen 2 tabs, but i only had to answer 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JDL1967 said:

@Jim is it so, that you as a existing member only have to fill in the themes you are interrested in?  When i sign in, i have seen 2 tabs, but i only had to answer 1.

There should be two questions which you need to answer. But the easy answer is...don't worry about it as an existing member. If you can post here you are good to go :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Which LEGO set did you recently purchase or build? "
well, damn. zero. None. Zich
But I did spend small fortune on bricks, it should be as an option :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angeli said:

" Which LEGO set did you recently purchase or build? "
well, damn. zero. None. Zich
But I did spend small fortune on bricks, it should be as an option :)

That is actually a valid answer :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen any spam since the security questions have been implemented, so nice work guys! :thumbup:

Make EB great spam-free again! Build a firewall! :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Oky said:

I haven't seen any spam since the security questions have been implemented, so nice work guys! :thumbup:

Thanks, neither have I. :cry_happy: It's a bit of work though to manually approve the newbies, but it's definitely worth it! :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.