Sign in to follow this  
ApophisV

Alternate MOC: Small Police Starfighter

Those of you that visit FBTB from time to time might have noticed that they set up a contest to create a "mascot set" for their page. (Prize: 10129 UCS Snowspeeder!!!)

When I saw this I got inspired and tried to come up with something. But after I began with my small ship I got a problem: The contest entries must be made of 100 pieces max. and they should be "small, easily-constructed "... MY model hadn't achieved any of those two requirements :D

So I can proudly present my not-a-contest-entry-MOC

PSc-1 Regulus

regulus_15.jpg

Gallery when public:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=126462

Deeplinks: Pic 1 | Pic 2

Notes:

I'm not sure if I can call this system scale, a minifig would find place inside this small craft, but then the whole windscreen had to be constructed in another way.

It would probably be too good for the competition... It looks very nice indeed. I could see myself flying around in one of those things.

only it seems for me that the ship needs bigger engines

Actually the engines were the starting point for this vehicle. When I build them I hadn't known what the overall ship would look like afterwards and I hadn't known either what scale it would be... Since it is system scale now and not mini scale as it was planned (or at least I was sure at that point it would become some kind of mini scaled ship) the engines might look a bit under scaled now...

The engines itself aren't only those four technic pipes at the back but also the sloped complex arround it. If I had a better selection of parts I had done the whole engine using only one main color that is different from the rest of the ship to show what exactly is engine and what isn't, but the parts were limited to the mini parts so I had to work with what I had ;)

can you open the cockpit?

Sure you can, but there isn't anything interesting inside ;) Especially no place for a Minifig... :(

post-11-1114077446.jpg

Yes, opening the cock pit is manditory otherwise I won't be able to get inside it...

i know, you know, but i have seen people building ships where you can't do it... ;)

...Since it is system scale now and not mini scale as it was planned...

i was so long without lego ;) what means this? what is "system scale" and "mini scale" ?

thanks for posting the pic with cockpit open!

what is "system scale" and "mini scale" ?

System scale means it has the perfect size to fit minifigs. [system scale DOESN'T mean that it must be accurate to the real ship or whatever you build, e.g. the normal planes of the town theme were system scale, but compared to real planes (that have MORE than one row of seats... ;)) they lack of reality]

Mini scale means that a model (mostly a ship or a mecha since the mini scale was introduced within the Star Wars Mini line) is small (the official sets e.g. all aren't wider than 16 studs or something like that) AND it has too small to fit minifigs.

Then we have the UCS scale which basically means that the model isn't made for play but for display, that's why its more detailed and accurate than their system counterparts (e.g. the ISD, the UCS X-Wing,...) and also it's bigger!

Besides the standard technic scale (fitting technic figures), the Star Wars technic scale (meaning the technic SW sets like Vader, R2, Jango,...), Belville scale and the Scala scale there is one more important scale that showed up lately very much (because of the Lego Factory contest?):

Micro Scale: Very similar to the Mini scale, you use e.g. 1x1 cylinders as people and build small cars, houses and whatever mostly on a 16x16 baseplate.

Hope this helps! ;)

This looks great. I like the mix of both new and old dark gray. The model definitely looks like a police craft. I like the black windows. *twisted*

The engines aren't too small though. This would most likely be a planetary ship and not a space ship. Large engines would only be needed for space travel. Smaller engines suit an atmospheric vehicle nicely. I tend to over do my engines on the big side even for planetary ships sometimes, so it is nice to see smaller nice looking thrusters.