whitswj

What ever happened to classic-space.com?

The board was still up around December... But infested with bots. :sceptic:

Hardly any activity as well, this was more due to the upcoming sites like Mocpages, Flickr etc at the time. (4 years ago)

There is still a classic-space Flickr group, but don't know if they're active and have ties with classic-space.com.

I must say I still like their Oldschool Layout, maybe they should merge with neo-classic-space.com or something.

Other than that, I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

Edited by -zenn

I'm a moderator on CSF. Spambots were able to circumvent the registration question and were posting faster than I could delete accounts and threads. I got a hold of Blake and we shut the site down so we could start cleaning up the forums. We were finally able to get everything back in order back in the middle of February but now the site is down completely and I haven't been able to get a hold of an admin to find out why.

Looks like the domain name expired on 3/27.

Runing a website is more work than most think and unless it is actually making money, it becomes a burden to continue as a "hobby". The people that started the site may have moved and have other aspects of their life that are more important. I have found my own life has changed significantly over the past 12 years w.r.t. job responsibilities, family, and kids. I don't have the time to do many of the things I used to do when I was younger. I would suspect that something similar may have happened with the CSF owners.

That and compared to other themes, TLG has only recently thrown a few bones to the space community... So maybe the overall popularity is not there with the younger generations that did not grow up in the 80's.

Yep, I got a hold of the guy who owns the domain. It expired and he forgot to renew, but he didnt tell me if he plans on renewing it or not. Only time will tell i guess.

I'm reading over what has happened and i'm just imagining this postapooplytic scene of the forum being overwhelmed by the bots. I'm very sorry for everyone who lost a community, that's terrible.

*kinda kicking up an old thread here* :look:

But I just noticed the CS site completely changed and forums are gone... My last log in was just a month ago. :cry_sad:
Though wished I grabbed some of the emoticons used on their forums though, love that styling.

Gotta say I met some awesome builders while I was on there, which I'm still in contact with on other sites. :sweet:

Anyone got some insight? Or can I just expect it wasn't feasible anymore?

On 4/9/2016 at 8:10 PM, Forresto said:

this postapooplytic scene of the forum being overwhelmed by the bots

I've seen that happen.  It's a damn depressing sight.

I imagine the guy who owned the domain let it expire, and then it got snatched up by someone else who just uses it to advertise toys.

I guess that's what happens when you no longer care for managing/owning a forum.

As far as I see it, Classic Space died as a forum when the old forum got hacked. The forum in discussion was, to me, never more than a shadow of the old one. All the people on Classic Space migrated to Flickr and here.

Just my 2 cents.

EKnight

It's a shame. I've never been a member of the site, but every now and then when I'm looking for old statements from Lego designers I'll find a long-vanished Classic-Space.com link that I can no longer access...

Looks like the person/entity who owns NCS is upgrading their servers. The domain is still active. Whether or not it comes back is another thing though.

websitebricks.com website also shows the NGINX info page.

Domain:
neoclassicspace.com
Registrar:
NameCheap, Inc.
Registered On:
2008-10-26
Expires On:
2019-10-26
Updated On:
2018-09-26
clientTransferProhibited
Name Servers: