msx80

[Software] Bluerender, a rendering engine for LDD

The client JVM always has a default max up to 1 GB, even if you have 16 GB or more. The server JVM has always a default max of one fourth, so 4 GB if RAM is 16 GB and so on.

I only know Linux/Unix versions and server has been the default version for a long time there.

Anyway, you can always set it to whatever you want, so it’s just a useless digression :wink:

Now, going back to Bluerender, sunflow doesn’t use that much RAM. I never encountered RAM problems even with tens of thousands of parts to render on the 4 GB machine I use (with no Xmx option set).

So checking other greedy programs might be a good idea.

The client JVM always has a default max up to 1 GB, even if you have 16 GB or more. The server JVM has always a default max of one fourth, so 4 GB if RAM is 16 GB and so on.

I only know Linux/Unix versions and server has been the default version for a long time there.

Anyway, you can always set it to whatever you want, so it’s just a useless digression :wink:

Doesn't seem to be so useless to me. ;)

Now, going back to Bluerender, sunflow doesn’t use that much RAM. I never encountered RAM problems even with tens of thousands of parts to render on the 4 GB machine I use (with no Xmx option set).

So checking other greedy programs might be a good idea.

It's not the number of parts that causes problems, it's the size of the render itself. I'm using a computer with 4GB of memory myself, and while it works fine with regularly sized renders, it struggled with huge ones.

Besides, I haven't used Xmx option for a long time, but lately I'm having some problems with modded version, and increasing amount of memory available to java was the only way to alleviate the issue.

It's not the number of parts that causes problems, it's the size of the render itself. I'm using a computer with 4GB of memory myself, and while it works fine with regularly sized renders, it struggled with huge ones.

Makes sense, somewhat :grin:

I’m more used to POVRay’s problems and limit Bluerender to 1920x1080 “thumbnails.”

Besides, I haven't used Xmx option for a long time, but lately I'm having some problems with modded version, and increasing amount of memory available to java was the only way to alleviate the issue.

Ray tracing is good to find problems :grin:

I am EXTREMELY late to the party but I was curious if Bluerender has system requirements? I use a simple laptop for LDD but I also own a decent desktop that I could use if it would be better...

You should be able to achieve this by editing scene file. Reducing quality of AA and lowering number of light samples should give you a quick low quality preview.

I've been rendering at low resolution, such as 512x384, which takes me ~40 seconds on my computer, but I'll try this solution too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Starting this week, oddly enough, this has been happening. It renders up to here, these exact squares, and stops. Waiting it out doesn't work and the image won't create.

It's weird because it was working like 2 days ago when I used it last.

Any idea?

yDzqZ8Z.png

Just stops. It looks like it's still rendering, nothing crashes. It just stops at that part of the render and doesn't complete

EDIT: 9/10/16 I think the problem was either the background color or the problem that one of the models had a lot of White Glow on it. It works with the same model now that I change the colors.

Edited by CM4Sci

Could you link to the LDraw version of this thread in the first post in case we get lost? Thanks!

Edited by Dilvish

I'm still having problems rendering my giant 5200 piece MOC.

I think someone recommended it was just the angle I presented it in but even still it won't render.

Does this have anything to do with it?

eRLFqPp.png

I really wanna have this fixed so I can finally post this model.

How much RAM have you got?

Are you running other programs in parallel?

8?

Nothing else but LDD and Chrome..

Although defaults should be sufficient, try adding the option “-Xmx4G” to java in the .bat file.

And try without the memory suckers.

(I thought Bluerender and LDD couldn’t run together because LDD locks the db.lif file?)

Although defaults should be sufficient, try adding the option “-Xmx4G” to java in the .bat file.

And try without the memory suckers.

(I thought Bluerender and LDD couldn’t run together because LDD locks the db.lif file?)

Where's all this specifically? :tongue:

It couldn't before but something.. changed I guess and I can run both at the same time.

Bluerender is run via a batch file, bluerender.bat, a simple text file that launches java with the right options to run Bluerender. Just add “-Xmx4G” between “java” and its other options.

This option means memory usage can go up to 4GiB.

The memory suckers are Chrome and LDD. If run for a long time, they can get big.

As for running Bluerender and LDD together, maybe yours don’t use the same db.lif file? A copy?

Bluerender is run via a batch file, bluerender.bat, a simple text file that launches java with the right options to run Bluerender. Just add “-Xmx4G” between “java” and its other options.

This option means memory usage can go up to 4GiB.

The memory suckers are Chrome and LDD. If run for a long time, they can get big.

As for running Bluerender and LDD together, maybe yours don’t use the same db.lif file? A copy?

Isn't .bat the one that opens the program?

bat for “batch”: do things in “batch” / lots / groups / etc.

It’s a legacy from DOS. It’s what’s also called a “script.” It’s just a text file to group commands.

Asking Windows to launch it (via a link or by typing its name in a command prompt or a shell window) makes it do what’s said in it by the simple (and very stupid) only fact that the extension is “bat.”

By default, bluerender.bat contains

@ECHO OFF
java -cp "bin/*" bluerender.BlueRender
pause

That just means:

line 1: “echo off” = turn off displaying what you’re doing, and “@” = don’t say you’re turning it off.

line 2: Launch the “java” program with the options “-cp bin/*” and “bluerender.BlueRender”, which tell java that libraries (= classpath = cp) are in the “bin” directory and the main class / program to run is named “blurender.Bluerender”.

line 3: Wait for user input to terminate. That gives the user an opportunity to see output and especially error messages.

You can add options to java by just editing the file with Notepad or whatever the simplest editor is called nowadays.

With spaces between options:

java    -Xmx4G   -cp  "bin/*"   bluerender.BlueRender

but not between Xmx and 4G (go figure…).

Downloaded the latest version of Java.. neither of those codes works.

Everything else renders.. but this. I really can't reduce the piece count.

Edited by CM4Sci