Hyler Talliwell

MOC: The Monkey King

Based on the character from Chinese folklore, my largest sculpture yet at 15"x 40"x 21" in size and weighing ~25lbs. Inspiration was taken from many Asian cultures, and I thank the other members of V-LUG who gave comments and criticism. Enjoy!

14972743562_300e825748_c.jpgThe Monkey King by The Deathly Halliwell, on Flickr

14786502528_dc2102a9ef_c.jpgMonkey King2 by The Deathly Halliwell, on Flickr

14973097645_6fb2bf93c9_z.jpgMonkey King3 by The Deathly Halliwell, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing!

Wow, thats EPIC. The number of details, the scale, the whole thing... How long did you build this and did you order parts for this, or did you use what you already own?

Wow, thats EPIC. The number of details, the scale, the whole thing... How long did you build this and did you order parts for this, or did you use what you already own?

I've been working on it on and off for about two months, though the vast majority of the body was done in the past two weeks. I ordered nothing for it, and thus, my white, brown, and tan plates are very depleted. I'll need to order for whatever I do next if those colors are needed. :laugh:

That is amazing. Great detail. Great color choices. I hadn't ever considered doing something like this and I'm glad to see it in the brick. Very inspiring.

Keep up the great work.

Gosh, this is amazing! Great work, all around! :thumbup:

Really love how you did all the different textures and that its packed with details! :wub:

What did you use as substructure of the katanas so that they are not falling apart because of their length & weight?

Keep amazing us with your sculptures! :wink:

Gosh, this is amazing! Great work, all around! :thumbup:

Really love how you did all the different textures and that its packed with details! :wub:

What did you use as substructure of the katanas so that they are not falling apart because of their length & weight?

Keep amazing us with your sculptures! :wink:

The katana is just plates, it's short enough to stay together, and the staff is filled with a ton of travis bricks and plates holding those together.

WOW! now that's impressive. But shouldn't he be sitting on a cloud? :grin:

All you need now is Sandy and Piggy and maybe Tribitaka to complete the set.

Wow! Your creation looks so real! I was just wondering why you inlude the green "grass"?

It was mostly an artistic color choice, I wanted something to contrast against the dark red on the body, with mostly dull colors used elsewhere.

This is so wonderful! :wub: Great job on all the angles and the face is build so incredibly well. I can truly say this is the best MOC I've seen so far this year!

Man, this instantly belongs to like top 5 statues made of Lego I have ever seen! Its incredible hoy you did it using this complicated plates+hignes method. I especially love the face and those shin guards! Amazing work!

Incredible. I would like to know more about the design process, did you plan it in on the computer or on paper - and did you adjust the scale, did you make a lot of changes? Where did you start?

Respect ! This is a masterpiece ! The head is incredible ... How long did it take you to design and build this sculpture ?

Awesome creation.

You are really master of sculpture.

I wonder with this kind of massive size, how can you transport this masterpiece?

And can you share the inside structure view?

Is there any side view of the model?