Sign in to follow this  
Lind Whisperer

Neo-Classic Space and Original T.A.R.D.I.S Models - Minifig Scale with

When I first heard about the Brickset Builders' Guild Neo-Classic Space Contest, I knew right away that I wanted to enter. The only question was, what to enter?

The trick to winning any contest is to play up your strengths so they make up for your weaknesses. Unfortunately, my weaknesses include hulls, cockpits, wings, and greebled engines. I was mulling this over, when the perfect entry for me suddenly came to mind. In a short chain of events, I had been thinking about Doctor Who earlier, and I suddenly remembered the T.A.R.D.I.S. I realized that a Neo-Classic Space T.A.R.D.I.S. would not only easily be under 338 bricks, but, since it would be Classic-Space, it would definitely fit in "Builds can consist of absolutely anything, but they should fit in with the general Classic or Neo-Classic Space vibe". This was not the first time I'd ever built a T.A.R.D.I.S., either - and indeed, the inner console is based on my original model.

tardis1.jpg

I know that a red Barraki eye on the end of the screwdriver might have been slightly more accurate to Classic Space(Although I think it works fine for Neo), however not only is yellow more of a "peaceful" color than red might be, the red tip would also have blended into the red helmet, which I wanted him to keep wearing, as a nod to another red hat.

tardis2.jpg

tardis3.jpg

I am quite certain that this is one of the first, if not the first ever, T.A.R.D.I.S., to simultaneously be accurate to minifig scale, have a working door that only takes up half of the front panel, has an interior, and has an interior that minifigs can actually stand in without entirely looking they're crammed in there.

And now, of course, for the original (2005-2010 was the specific model I was using as reference, actually, but it blends in with almost every era that it's appeared in) T.A.R.D.I.S. colors.

tardis5.jpg

tardis4.jpg

And a little render I made of it. Unfortunately, the trans-yellow windows didn't seem to be accepted, but you can still see them in the back windows. Really pleased that the lantern lighted up so well, though. Yes, I do notice the spelling error. :blush:

tardis6.jpg

Download page for both LDD versions:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546001

Constructive criticism and comments always appreciated! :classic:

As I was posting a reply on Brickset, it hit me - the T.A.R.D.I.S. is a giant dark blue police box.

What Space theme was blue, black, and was related to the police?

A little theme known as Space Police. (Or Space Police I, depending on whether you use the theme designation, or not. But, then again, SPIII was also marketed as SP. So, SPI).

tardis7.jpg

Needless to say, I was pretty pleased with how this turned out. I probably may even try building it in real life at some point!

Download link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6123845

I think that these TARDISes look extremely nice, even in LDD, which does not do justice to LEGO models built on it. :blush: I am positive that, if built with real bricks, my jaw would hit the floor. So, if you get the opportunity to do that, I advice you to take it. :moar:

The only thing that I do not like, is the gaps between the door and wall between the hinges. Ah well... Its unavoidable I suppose.

I think that these TARDISes look extremely nice, even in LDD, which does not do justice to LEGO models built on it. :blush: I am positive that, if built with real bricks, my jaw would hit the floor. So, if you get the opportunity to do that, I advice you to take it. :moar:

Thank you! I do hope to build the Space Police variant some day! :grin:

The only thing that I do not like, is the gaps between the door and wall between the hinges. Ah well... Its unavoidable I suppose.

I know - not my favorite part of the design either. But, I wanted to keep the panel shape I had established on the rest of it, while keeping the door able to be opened, and this was the best compromise I could find. :wacko: