Jump to content


MOC: Hadrian's Wall

RomeHadrians Wall Roman Lego MOC Milecastle

56 replies to this topic

#1 Macsen Wledig

Macsen Wledig

    Posts: 181
    Joined: 13-November 13
    Member: 103564
    Country: Wales

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hi there
I’ve just finished a series of MOCs about the life of a Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall and thought I’d share it with you.

For those who don’t know, Hadrian's Wall was a defensive fortification in Roman Britain built between AD 122 and AD 126, during the rule of the eponymous Emperor. It stretched some 120km between the Solway Firth in the west to the Tyne Estuary east. Along it were placed Milecastles, located at regular intervals of one Roman Mile (approx. 1.5km). Barracks and facilities for cooking and storage were provided at each, with the garrisons varying in number, up to a maximum of 64 troops.

The wall was built by the three legions stationed in Britain at the time – the II Augusta, the VI Victrix and the XX Valeria Victrix. Work commenced with the construction of the wall’s Milecastles and turrets (two between each Milecastle). The wall itself was then built between the Milecastles and turrets joining them together. The wall was also enclosed by a V-shaped ditch to the north and another ditch and attendant earthworks to the south; the latter feature being known as the Vallum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Though Hadrian’s Wall was built by the legions, it was manned by auxiliaries. These included cavalry and all types of light infantry. Auxillia were originally formed from frontier populations to fight in their homelands using their local knowledge. However, following events such as the Revolt of the Batavi in AD 69, they were relocated to other parts of the Empire. Consequently, Hadrian’s Wall found itself garrisoned by Batavian and Tungrian Cohorts amongst others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The final scene depicts the events of AD 180 when Caledonian tribes crossed Hadrian’s Wall, overwhelming its garrisons and killing their commanding officer or governor (possibly Caerellius Oriscus). The tribes proceeded to enter the Province of Britannia in what Cassius Dio described as the most serious war of the Emperor Commodus’ reign. In response Commodus dispatched the province’s former governor Ulpius Marcellus to repel the invaders. According to Dio, control was not fully regained until AD184, though archaeological evidence suggests trouble continued until at least 186/7.

Marcellus conducted his own invasion into Caledonia and is thought to have reoccupied the Antonine Wall, which runs between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde, for a short period. He was ultimately forced back to Hadrian’s Wall however, hampered by the mutinous British Legions, who would later put forward their own usurper to the imperial throne.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wall would remain occupied by Roman troops until their withdrawal from Britain in around AD 410. In time the wall fell into ruin and over the centuries the stone was reused in other local buildings.

In 1987 the remains of the wall were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and in 2005 it became part of the transnational "Frontiers of the Roman Empire" World Heritage Site, which also includes sites in Germany.

Many thanks for viewing; constructive criticism welcome :wink:

Cheers!

MW

Edit: a full set of photos can now be found on Mocpages and Flickr.

Edited by Macsen Wledig, 21 May 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Macsen Wledig's Flickr photostream
...and more on Mocpages.


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


www.bricktothepast.com


#2 kinggregus

kinggregus

    Posts: 241
    Joined: 16-May 11
    Member: 17884
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Amazing!!!! Not only did I learn a lot but I also really enjoy the building. It is amazing how we can see such a perfect evolution. You have also taken some amazing pictures.

Truly fantastic building!

#3 Calanon

Calanon

    Posts: 557
    Joined: 06-September 09
    Member: 7327
    Country: England

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

I absolutely love builds that show an evolution of the building like this. So much detail! I really like the way that you cut the side of the walls off. But what's that chicken doing on top of the chimney? :grin:

"No. What I'm saying is that Wales should be completely removed from the planet." - Pinioncorp, 9th October 2011.


Carol Nottingham in Party Lines Mafia


#4 The_Cook

The_Cook

  • Piratical Project Manager


    Posts: 354
    Joined: 10-January 12
    Member: 23998

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Having walked Hadrians Wall from Newcastle to Carlisle a couple of years back and spent a considerable amount of time looking over the ruins of the milecastles I can say that the MOCs are historically, even down to the placement of the interior buildings and steps up onto the wall. I'd love to know if it was modeled on a particular milecastle.

A truly wonderful series of MOC capturing a very interesitng piece of history. Perhaps one of the remote posts where the wall skims the top of Hardcastle Crags next?

#5 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre

  • Meanwhile in tumbleweed town...


    Posts: 2479
    Joined: 14-July 12
    Member: 29683
    Country: France

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Really awesome MOCs!

My only advice would be on the tiles on the walls. I think they stand out a little too much...
Oh and why are all those romans bare-assed?? :laugh:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#6 Ridge Montante

Ridge Montante

    Posts: 390
    Joined: 30-December 12
    Member: 35167
    Country: USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Really nice builds. It's cool to see see a build from "start to finish".  I like the the round corners at the back of the castle. I might have to use that idea sometime, if that's ok. :classic:
Posted Image

"Do you think he plans it all out? Or just makes it up as he goes along?"

"Great, now they come in fun size."

#7 MassEditor

MassEditor

  • Loves Nocturnus, Hates UND.


    Posts: 498
    Joined: 31-January 14
    Member: 120141
    Country: Arkansas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Incredible MW, thank you so much for sharing this! I too have walked part of Hadrian's Wall and now I feel like I've seen it at its prime!

You've done an incredible job recreating the construction and eventual destruction of this milecastle. I have to say the construction MOC is in particular very striking, considering the beautiful scaffolding and the amazing way you recreated the construction process (with a couple of nobles sitting idly by watching the work over a glass of wine :laugh: ).

You did a wonderful job with the finished product, the buildings are incredibly realistic looking. Your castle design is simple but very elegant looking. The stone walkway is just plain gorgeous too!

Wow, I could go on and on about this one. Absolutely perfect! I hope this gets all the recognition it deserves! :classic:
Lord Anfauglir of Nocturnus in the Guilds of Historica, proud holder of the title of Swamp Commodore.
Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 adventurer1

adventurer1

    Posts: 681
    Joined: 12-December 11
    Member: 23064
    Country: Planet Zentron

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Fantastic builds!  I really like the rounded corners.  The detail for different seasons is great, and the scaffolding is really neat.  The white tiles on the wall for snow was a bit distracting though.  Thanks for sharing this as I have never had the chance to go in person. :(
Currently Playing:  
Addie Tremain in Tamamono's Party Lines Mafia


Past Mafia:
Fred Rhodes in Bob's Excalibur Mafia School TNG / Alan Vaughan in Tamamono's Mafia Sunset / Adrienne Walton in Jamesn's Red Menece Mafia / Cosplay Luke Skywalker in Speedy's The Cosplay Party Mafia School

#9 MrBrick&BoB

MrBrick&BoB

    Posts: 112
    Joined: 17-January 10
    Member: 9144

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

This is epic!

Great moc´s. Everyone of them!

Best regards

BoB
Posted Image

#10 Gunman

Gunman

    Posts: 1444
    Joined: 17-April 10
    Member: 10309
    Country: Greece

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hey you got some amazing mocs there..   Lovely details, beautifuly made... And great photography!

Sir Gunman the Lurikeen, proud member of Mitgardia
Hersir of Infantry , Economic titan


<3 Tarja Turunen for life
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My flickR

#11 eurotrash

eurotrash

  • Put the FUN in funicular


    Posts: 2007
    Joined: 30-January 12
    Member: 25286
    Country: Missouri

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

I was born and raised within a mile or two of the wall and it's been a real pleasure looking at these MOCs - they are superb representations of what it looked like.  Congratulations on such an awesome build and thanks for sharing it with us.

#12 Macsen Wledig

Macsen Wledig

    Posts: 181
    Joined: 13-November 13
    Member: 103564
    Country: Wales

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

View Postkinggregus, on 14 May 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Amazing!!!! Not only did I learn a lot but I also really enjoy the building. It is amazing how we can see such a perfect evolution. You have also taken some amazing pictures.

Truly fantastic building!

Thanks very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

View PostCalanon, on 14 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

I absolutely love builds that show an evolution of the building like this. So much detail! I really like the way that you cut the side of the walls off. But what's that chicken doing on top of the chimney? :grin:

Thank you - you really can't trust chickens.

View PostThe_Cook, on 14 May 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Having walked Hadrians Wall from Newcastle to Carlisle a couple of years back and spent a considerable amount of time looking over the ruins of the milecastles I can say that the MOCs are historically, even down to the placement of the interior buildings and steps up onto the wall. I'd love to know if it was modeled on a particular milecastle.

A truly wonderful series of MOC capturing a very interesitng piece of history. Perhaps one of the remote posts where the wall skims the top of Hardcastle Crags next?

Thank you very much, one of my aims when building this was to make it as historically accurate as possible. It's not based on any milecastle in particular, but I used the illustrations of Ronald Embleton and Peter Connolly as guides; their books really are excellent. And a remote turret or watchtower is definitely a future project :classic:

View PostBob De Quatre, on 14 May 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Really awesome MOCs!

My only advice would be on the tiles on the walls. I think they stand out a little too much...
Oh and why are all those romans bare-assed?? :laugh:

Thanks very much and thanks for the advice; I will definitely in my next castle type MOC.

View PostRidge Montante, on 14 May 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Really nice builds. It's cool to see see a build from "start to finish".  I like the the round corners at the back of the castle. I might have to use that idea sometime, if that's ok. :classic:

Thanks and use away, any techniques I've used have been inspired by others.

View PostMassEditor, on 14 May 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Incredible MW, thank you so much for sharing this! I too have walked part of Hadrian's Wall and now I feel like I've seen it at its prime!

You've done an incredible job recreating the construction and eventual destruction of this milecastle. I have to say the construction MOC is in particular very striking, considering the beautiful scaffolding and the amazing way you recreated the construction process (with a couple of nobles sitting idly by watching the work over a glass of wine :laugh: ).

You did a wonderful job with the finished product, the buildings are incredibly realistic looking. Your castle design is simple but very elegant looking. The stone walkway is just plain gorgeous too!

Wow, I could go on and on about this one. Absolutely perfect! I hope this gets all the recognition it deserves! :classic:

Thanks you very much for your comments, they really give me confidence.

View Postadventurer1, on 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Fantastic builds!  I really like the rounded corners.  The detail for different seasons is great, and the scaffolding is really neat.  The white tiles on the wall for snow was a bit distracting though.  Thanks for sharing this as I have never had the chance to go in person. :(

Thanks very much! And thank you for your critique; funnily enough I really like the white tiles on the walls... but maybe I'll use a few less next time I build something wintery.

View PostMrBrick&BoB, on 14 May 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

This is epic!

Great moc´s. Everyone of them!

Best regards

BoB

Cheers Bob, I had greaet fun making them!

View PostGunman, on 14 May 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hey you got some amazing mocs there..   Lovely details, beautifuly made... And great photography!

Thanks very much  - the photography is probably the bit I've had most difficulty with.

View Posteurotrash, on 14 May 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I was born and raised within a mile or two of the wall and it's been a real pleasure looking at these MOCs - they are superb representations of what it looked like.  Congratulations on such an awesome build and thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks very much - such praise from a local is amazing! It really is an amazing part of the country.

Macsen Wledig's Flickr photostream
...and more on Mocpages.


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


www.bricktothepast.com


#13 Lord Vladivus

Lord Vladivus

  • 50% Vampire, 100% Awesome


    Posts: 2116
    Joined: 04-February 13
    Member: 38857
    Country: England

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Incredible! Fantastic representation of the wall, and brilliant MOCs to boot- love the variation in seasons!
Guilds of Historica:
Lord Vladivus Stormbringer, Captain of the Shadowmere Guard and the Moruth Rangers. Half-Vampire Nocturnian Guildsman in Guilds of Historica.
Legendary Warlord, Nocturnian Elite


Posted Image


#14 emilstorm

emilstorm

    Posts: 577
    Joined: 21-December 13
    Member: 117496
    Country: Denmark

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Super cool :) I like the rounded corners and the dark grey tile stones. Personally I am not so much for mixing in masonry bricks, but that's just my taste :) and the tiled roof looks great in mixed colors.

#15 b-ran

b-ran

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 23-April 14
    Member: 123787

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I know this has been said, but I wanted to add my enjoyment of the progression of the milecastle and learning more about these.  Just fantastic!  The fire in the final scenes was one of my favorites as the fire pieces were coming off the building at natural angles.

#16 Ritsz

Ritsz

    Posts: 166
    Joined: 15-November 13
    Member: 104108
    Country: Belgium

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

What a great moc! Like the first one the most

#17 mechamike

mechamike

  • Worst lover ever!


    Posts: 268
    Joined: 19-October 07
    Member: 2106
    Country: Sweden

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

This series of moc's are really wonderful so,much attention to detail. Wow, Im stunned, thanks for sharing this!

May you be also be touched by his noodly appendage, RAmen!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  

Guilds of Historica: Kael,  Kaliphlin
My flickr


#18 Steph 104th

Steph 104th

    Posts: 806
    Joined: 01-January 14
    Member: 118237

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Love  this the differant stages are awesome.

#19 Macsen Wledig

Macsen Wledig

    Posts: 181
    Joined: 13-November 13
    Member: 103564
    Country: Wales

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostLord Vladivus, on 14 May 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Incredible! Fantastic representation of the wall, and brilliant MOCs to boot- love the variation in seasons!

Thanks very much -  the variations were great fun to think up and put together.

View Postemilstorm, on 14 May 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Super cool :) I like the rounded corners and the dark grey tile stones. Personally I am not so much for mixing in masonry bricks, but that's just my taste :) and the tiled roof looks great in mixed colors.

Thanks very much comment. Personally I like the masonary bricks, they add texture and help avoid the big gray wall syndrome... even though it does still result in a big, gray wall... but that's my personal taste :wink:

View Postb-ran, on 14 May 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

I know this has been said, but I wanted to add my enjoyment of the progression of the milecastle and learning more about these.  Just fantastic!  The fire in the final scenes was one of my favorites as the fire pieces were coming off the building at natural angles.

Thanks very much!

View PostRitsz, on 15 May 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

What a great moc! Like the first one the most

Thank you very much! Funnily enough I like the first one most too :classic:

View Postmechamike, on 15 May 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

This series of moc's are really wonderful so,much attention to detail. Wow, Im stunned, thanks for sharing this!

Thanks very much!

View PostSteph 104th, on 15 May 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

Love  this the differant stages are awesome.

Thanks very much!

Macsen Wledig's Flickr photostream
...and more on Mocpages.


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


www.bricktothepast.com


#20 Gary The Procrastinator

Gary The Procrastinator

    Posts: 104
    Joined: 04-May 14
    Member: 124049
    Country: USA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

Can't tell you enough how much I love this series of yours.  Everything is top notch, and the fact that you've shown it in construction, in different seasons, and under attack is icing on the cake.  Keep building in Historical!
My FLICKR Photostream
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
111111~ Battle of Rorke's Drift ~11111111111111111~ Black Swan on Market Day ~1111~ Defense of Little Round Top ~11111111~ PT-17 Kaydet Diorama ~111111~ Go Where No One Else Will Go ~

#21 Wodanis

Wodanis

    Posts: 458
    Joined: 25-May 13
    Member: 55694
    Country: Canada

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Truly amazing!! Love every little detail. You should be extremely proud of this. I've been to the wall and love all things Roman.  :wub:

I am assuming you changed out the MOC pieces to change the seasons? Moreover did you make two MOCs? One for the construction and the another for the completed fort?

#22 Venunder

Venunder

    Posts: 291
    Joined: 15-February 12
    Member: 26358
    Country: UK

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Awesome builds and a great history lesson. :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

#23 Macsen Wledig

Macsen Wledig

    Posts: 181
    Joined: 13-November 13
    Member: 103564
    Country: Wales

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostGary The Procrastinator, on 15 May 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Can't tell you enough how much I love this series of yours.  Everything is top notch, and the fact that you've shown it in construction, in different seasons, and under attack is icing on the cake.  Keep building in Historical!

Cheers Gary - more historical MOCs to come!

View PostWodanis, on 15 May 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

Truly amazing!! Love every little detail. You should be extremely proud of this. I've been to the wall and love all things Roman.  :wub:

I am assuming you changed out the MOC pieces to change the seasons? Moreover did you make two MOCs? One for the construction and the another for the completed fort?

Thanks very much - I have loads more Roman themed ideas to come.

I only made one MOC which i modified each time. The first one I made was the peaceful summer scene, followed by the winter scene and then the battle scene. The construction MOC was made last, which I built as part of the deconstruction of the battle MOC.

View PostVenunder, on 15 May 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

Awesome builds and a great history lesson. :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you very much Venunder!

Macsen Wledig's Flickr photostream
...and more on Mocpages.


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


www.bricktothepast.com


#24 Blakstone

Blakstone

    Posts: 965
    Joined: 14-November 12
    Member: 32914
    Country: USA (OK)

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Each individual build was great, but when you consider all of them put together, it is incredible. I hope your Hadrian's Wall series makes it to the Front Page.

#25 tedbeard

tedbeard

    Posts: 1159
    Joined: 16-August 06
    Member: 905
    Country: Canada

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

This is fantastic! The detail and action are wonderful. My favorite has to be the "under construction" MOC. It is so wonderfully detailed including the rubble-fill for the walls. Very nice work.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image



Reply to this topic



  



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RomeHadrians Wall, Roman, Lego, MOC, Milecastle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users