Does anyone have a copy of the schema for validating lxfml files?

Additionally has anyone compiled a reference of how the xml structures within the lxfml work? I'm in the process of reverse engineering it so that I can write a couple of programs to mathematically position bricks but if someone has already written it up it saves duplicating the effort.

The lxfml standard is open and public. There is a document I got from TLG a long time ago for publishing here in the forum. Only problem is I can't find it right now...it's in the forum somewhere.

EDIT: Hm, still can't find it so I attached it here again.

LXFML5.zip

The lxfml standard is open and public. There is a document I got from TLG a long time ago for publishing here in the forum. Only problem is I can't find it right now...it's in the forum somewhere.

It was here :wink:

Thanks to both of you.

I know lxfml is an open format and I'd found references to the schema on other sites but the links had expired. I was hoping someone here had kept a copy tucked away.

1375302212m_SPLASH.jpg

An involute of a circle modeled in LDD using code to procedurally generate an lxfml file with positions of 256 1x4 bricks.

It's the start of something much more ambitious...

...but don't hold your breath it'll take me a while to perfect things in LDD and even longer to realise it in ABS.

There's an LDD file on MOC pages if you want to play with the spiral yourself and if you can convince me that you know how to code then I'm happy to share the C++ source with you.

Edited by The_Cook

Wow, very impressive. You can use same technique to generate any geometric shape?

Yes, any geometric shape and much, much more. Procedural generation is typically used in computer graphics to create landscapes, trees and other organic structures. The techniques and algorithms that I'm using are identical, the only difference is that the output from them is a list of bricks and positions to be fed into LDD rather than triangles that are fed into a graphics card. The hard part is making sure that the algorithms that I use fulfill the rules of brick connectivity that LDD enforces.

Overnight I was able to put into place the basic structure of a digital moc that I'm planning. Working out how hinges are encoded took a bit of effort but what you're seeing here are the important elements, there will eventually be stacks of 1x4's or some other "filler" brick between the various loops that can be seen but if I added them now they would obscure the sections that I'm focusing on. All of the connections are legal, however until I encode some additional support the top plates would be very fragile if this were to be constructed for real.

1375374553m_SPLASH.jpg

Progress will probably slow now as attention turns to detailing. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to generate the details through code or whether I import a basic structure into LDD and then add the details there.

For those that are still bemused, today's clue is "Pieter Bruegel the Elder".

I guess on a more basic level: The LXF file is a binary format, thus 'unreadable'. In contrast, the LXFML is an ascii/text file, perfectly readable (and understandable). The real questions is, are the two formats 100% compatible i.e., can any LDD file be saved in both LXF/LXFML and not suffer any loss of information?

I guess on a more basic level: The LXF file is a binary format, thus 'unreadable'. In contrast, the LXFML is an ascii/text file, perfectly readable (and understandable). The real questions is, are the two formats 100% compatible i.e., can any LDD file be saved in both LXF/LXFML and not suffer any loss of information?

Do you actually read the answers you get?

The answer was in a different 'thread' ... and I somehow did not get a notification when the answer posted ...

I have my answer now, thank You!!!

Thank you. I somehow posted the same question in a different thread ... and now found an answer. Merci!

Next time pay more attention about crossposting. :wink:

As you can see, it can be confusing even for the one who writes the request! :grin: