Hello everyone.

This is my first post and this is a projekt I've been working a lot on the paste yea or so. I have only posted on the danish lug Byggepladen.dk, and I wanted to show the building progress to every other AFOL around the world instead of just danish members of Byggepladen.

All of these next posts are copied directly into google translate so bear with me if there are some mistakes some places. I don't have the energy to translate walls of text just for this purpose.

You can find my image gallery here

You can find my youtube account with my airplane process

- I plan on adding another video very soon, the plane is nearly done :D

So here goes....

(I realised just now that I cannot create a reply to my self but only edit. Be patient please. There are lots of stuff to come.)

(My englih skills are also awesome if I have to say so my self, bear in mind that I'm still using google translate and fixing the most inconsistent words for better understanding)

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and this is a projekt I've been working a lot on the paste yea or so. I have only posted on the danish lug Byggepladen.dk, and I wanted to show the building progress to every other AFOL around the world instead of just danish members of Byggepladen.

All of these next posts are copied directly into google translate so bear with me if there are some mistakes some places. I don't have the energy to translate walls of text just for this purpose.

You can find my image gallery here

You can find my youtube account with my airplane process

- I plan on adding another video very soon, the plane is nearly done :D

So here goes....

Wow, that is going to be some impressive plane!

Are you planning to clad the hull? Or will it stay barebones like it is now?

Jeroen

The beginning

I have made some propellers that creates a lot of air when they are spinning, if I put them together with a Peeron 5292 engine: http://peeron.com/inv/parts/5292

c8zmFgz.jpg

I also have these wings, but I do not know if they would be better:

YxksVST.jpg

Anyway, then 5292 engine is not running strong enough, with enough Horsepower so I came across this page: http://www.josepino....electric_motor2

Now, if I made 2 of those yellow wheels with copper and stuck them believe in so that it will go fast enough, or is there another kind of lego engine that can handle the job than 5292?

Otherwise I can just build one yourself, but it must be strong since there os much air to be moved to get something in lego to takeoff.

Come to think of it, they're eventuelt not long enough. Maybe I should try to build some bars in the lift arms and then possibly. glue a piece of cardboard on? It's worth a try!

- - - - - - - -

I just sat and looked a bit on some engines for model airplanes and battery packs

My idea was to build a propeller flying with 1 propeller on each wing. These two propellers were so driven by a battery that was strong enough, but they was not going to run full load full time. Therefore, I thought of adding a potentiometer (Such a variable mega-resistance) and put a motor on it, so I could control the speed of both propellers with an engine.

- I wonder if my propeller can manage to spin around with 7-9000 rpm? They can at least run around with 1000 rpm at 5292 engine ..... - I'd better buy some right propeller so. Or put some bolts in lego propeller so it goes at least not from each other.

The website where I found div. engine and such: Hobbyfly.com

I also thought that I would use two motors, one on each wing to control which way the plane to turn (flaps I think they're called). Now I as an engine for landing gear and I thought of this: Multiplexer

The only problem I have now ............ Is the weight but not least, the price of various aircraft engine equipment - well, we must of course take it as it comes

1 NXT + rechargeable battery

2 aircraft engines on each wing ala 300 g

1 motor for landing gear

1 power to the current regulator

2 motors to vingeflapper

1 Power Regulator

1 extra 12V 4000 mAh battery

1 9v (maybe 1.5v is enough) battery for extra lego engine

It is anyway going to weigh well, in addition to all div. Lego bricks. In fact, I think not it will go to fly for the'll come to be full of holes, and it will simultaneously be heavy, and it can never go well ....

Hmm .. If I pack the finished model into paper and then plastic outside will it succeed?

- - - - - - - -

This original LEGO thing should probably be able to move some air:

89509.jpg

But if you must have a Lego construction "in the air", then it is eternal & recurring problem weight.

It is not without reason, that bird bones are porous, the RC model airplanes are made of such. balsa wood (and other exotic materials), and the bumblebee use of certain aerodynamic tricks to keep in the air - the weight and the upward force that it is possible to produce within the "framework" of the given weight, is paramount.

Aha it looks much better! 4 grams a piece. I could not buy 4 each, so I ordered the set it is in.

- - - - - - - -

I've made an awful lot of research on Blueprints.com and found a plane that might be ideal to build in Lego: Antonov An-140. I think that it will be a good model, not least because it has two propellers, but also because the landing gear sits on the chassis, instead of under the motors.

The problem is probably that the wings to bend anything down once I get it built, but I think I try to stick a bamboo stick or something in through, in order to stabilize the whole thing.

- - - - - - - -

The process

See here for one piece original propeller aircraft: Antonov AN-140

The scale is established and becomes 1:15,65

Therefore, the wing span approx. 154 cm and length is approx. 143.5 cm. It's not so little, so I must of course see if I can build it strong with few parts to get the weight as low as possible.

I have also ordered some things on Bricklink and I expect to get it all next week. Among other things, 300 pcs.32016.gif (# 3) 6538c.gif4519.gif(# 3) and 150 units. 3705.gif(# 4) 3737.gif(# 10)

In addition, a whole lot of various parts .....

This is what I have come up with so far:

oVl2szW.jpg

The fuselage of the plane

9bMEHrJ.jpg

It must sit on top of the fuselage. It is only approx. half built

jZLl8Vq.jpg

Where the propeller must be positioned

MQs8LDd.jpg

The tip - It looks a little skewed, but it's just the image that is wrong with

I also made two types of propellers, but the first is not very good .... - It falls apart and / or do not sit together. It's the one with the two black rings

1gu53jG.jpg

vCwDd9A.jpg

I'll keep this last model, because it is more solid. It is slightly higher, but I have to live with that.

Here is a rough overview of the scale

S7ptQgd.jpg

XlkUQ66.jpg

QkWuIjc.jpg

- - - - - - - -

Hello again

It is becoming a while since I last updated anything, mostly because I have not had as much time dealing with. Time passes quickly when building LEGO

I built the fuselage now - not it full length, but only 2/3 around - otherwise I could not get the arm through and reach all the way to the cockpit.

Anyway, I have made ​​it as aerodynamic as possible if I do say so myself.

I have built the nose twice. The first time nose was too long - in fact it was 3-4 studs too long ... Haha it was because I forgot to include the cone very end. It actually looked pretty good if I do say so myself.

The second time was right, and the end result in the video below. It has not actually been quite easy to build all those shafts out in the lead with the right bend, but we managed and it is not quite that bad

Do not worry, I'm not saying anything in the video I have recorded. It is recorded on my mobile. There are more pictures in the post below

Antonov_An_140_-_Front.jpg

- - - - - - - -

As I said, it has been somewhat difficult for me to have to build all the different shafts out in the end. I have used 2 of 57585.gif because it was the best way to do it, I think ....

Everything that you see in the pictures weighs 720 grams. If I guess correctly then comes the finished model will weigh just about 2 kg, with motors and everything. Now I will soon start to build the rear of the plane, and then we will see if I can get something landing wheels attached. It is of course also a bit of a challenge to find the right center of gravity to put the motors on, but it will succeed in the end

N7qD1O9.jpg

wYf0eq1.jpg

MtPpoWT.jpg

ufy745K.jpg

oIfMAe4.jpg

- - - - - - - -

Today I then built rear wheels to the aircraft. I think I must have them rebuilt, partly because the plane is too high, partly because they stick out too much from the side. In the real airplane wheels are also bigger than the ones I've put on, reaching from the ground to the chassis, _ does my wheels not.

It also gets the plane to be tilted. While the structure becomes too large in length, it does not work either. But the whole thing is a prototype until it is finished :)

2x pistons on each wheel I actually thought was too much, but it turns out that they can just keep the plane up, and when that comes wings, then I see how much it can continue to hold. The construction so far weighs just 1 kg and 243 grams

IIYNj34.jpg

Everything is 136 cm Long

Apy0WY2.jpg

The tail

2ghokOx.jpg

Inside the "barrel" I just put a Round Tile, I have ordered a black one with 6 propellers which I have got hold on.

o4WYpvG.jpg

Rear wheels from the front. you can probably already sensed that the plane tilts slightly forward

Pohh8Wi.jpg

Rear wheels, seen from behind. On the "triangle" as stamps and lift arms stuck in, I'm going to drill up so that the wheels can run around. Or it may be I'll think of something else when I now have to re build anyway.

Uf3LE16.jpg

The front wheel with a small piston

1e7eEvg.jpg

The entire length

ztKxbn9.jpg

The rear wheels raised into the aircraft - There is not yet a mechanism to pull them in and out, but it comes

Xg9MHtQ.jpg

The front wheel is retracted. It just felt that they protrude slightly below, but it is millimeters we're talking about, so never mind.

so yes, I am far from finished yet.

- - - - - - - -

Updates!

I have now (finally) built landing mechanism, and it works just great. Here's a video:

As it probably can be seen, I had to build part of the model (try looking at the pictures in the previous post). I put a medium engine. It sounds good enough not particularly good when it moves up and down, but how often is it right landing gear to be used? The gearing is 1:3

I found out that it was much easier to have 3x large actuators instead of 2x large and one small. Gearing would be something as strange as 1:1.3 - not exactly the easiest I think. The only place that is used right gear is over by the engine. For all actuators I have used these: 32072.gif - Since the shafts must go from the actuator and cross down through it all is these gears clearly the best. They do not have to sit 100% right to run around (which is really good in this case) and then there is 0% veil. This is something that works!

Yes ... Not exactly anything special, but here's some pictures of the landing wheels. The rear was not easy to make as I have mentioned before, but it went.

b4E3pZj.jpg

The front wheel - as seen from above

FyRJAzz.jpg

The front wheel - bottom

h9q7R8s.jpg

The rear wheels - seen from above

nxa2Gjo.jpg

The rear wheel - side

And finally the rear wheels, as seen from below.

asDfDzC.jpg

In addition, I have some major problems getting wings built. Here is a picture:

HriD6VV.jpg

As can be seen in the red circles I will it be thick on one side and thin on the other side. It will also then become thinner and thinner until it reaches the head. I have looked at it and I think that the thickest part should be 2 holes thick and the thin part must be 0 holes thick (it should of course go to a point). How do I just need to get it put together is beyond me, and I will probably not out of it by not trying.

If there are some who think they have an idea for how to fix it (preferably without knob-blocks) then it would just be great. All suggestions are welcome (but it should still hold).

I think I found a solution. The only thing I'm missing now is how on earth I should have placed a 9 or 15 mm carbon fiber rod in construction

I'm going to use some 75c63.jpg and then just cut them up in the length I want to use. For blade part, I cut one in half to "control flaps" and maintain almost 2 whole, for the last piece of the wing where the flags just to have a fixed position. The red "hose" in the picture is actually 2L too short ...

I only have two flags and even of the wrong type, but they illustrate well how it is.

I'm also going to buy 20 78c24.gif and cut them up into pieces too. It is for the "odd" angle of the wing. And then there is otherwise just spent a lot of standard parts.

I've figured out that I need approx. 175 2335.gif - It includes the main wings, steering wings and tail. Sure it'll be great.

5j8EkDp.jpg

seen from above

Tgnmdh0.jpg

Seen from the bottom

n5rddXc.jpg

The entire wing. It seems stable enough, but I wonder what happens when there is 150 grams more of?

And there must of course also sit an engine .... But it is completely inside where it is most stable so no worries

EDIT: Oops, I completely forgot that I need an idea for something to put between the panels. I've used a lot of 6558.gif to put between. I think maybe I can use 87082.jpg instead, but they are fairly expensive so I'd rather do without. Are there other alternatives?

EDIT 2: I just remembered that I have already bought a lot of 87082.jpg to the previous prototype of the wing. I just found out that this was a good idea. It stabilizes a bit more.

So I have put 32013.gif in between to create a more "smooth" surface

Riw7N4w.jpg

- - - - - - - -

I've had some problems with building the wing. This is what has taken a terrible lot of time on so little. The flags that I bought fits perfectly on the blue hose and can also sit besides a lower link - but there's just no pins to center and maintain it. The small gear would also just click over because the distance was too great. It ended up that I agreed with myself to play Farmer Thomsen for a day and file a little of some selected flags so that they could fit on the lift arm.

What you probably can not see is that it is a # 16 axle I've used.

This picture is the wing seen from the underside and at lift arms at the very top in the top is just to get all the flags to go right along the blade so it does not twist.

SxS4LyY.jpg

This picture is from above. I can see that the flags are clicked on is not quite right, but do not worry, they will be at last.

RzdjfFj.jpg

Here is a video I VERY LOW quality .... It is perhaps better than nothing.

It is actually not so slow to turn it around as it does by hand

The rest of the wing I build tomorrow. It's probably not quite as easy as I can see that now begins construction to be a little loose, but I hope when I can solve in some way

- - - - - - - -

I must admit that I can not figure out how to upload many pictures at once on Brickshelf so you have to settle for pictures only in the thread.

First Image: This is the entire wing to its full length - close-ups come in a little further down.

yHvyCtE.jpg

Second Picture: Here is the wing on top of all my Lego boxes to show that it lies on top of the boxes (third picture)

uPi6yfR.jpg

3rd Picture: ... is a very bad one, but you can see how flexible wing is anyway. It bend very much and that is why I have to buy something carbon fiber to stabilize it.

xjjSUka.jpg

4th Picture: To fix the wing up as much as possible, I strangely enough found an aluminum floor strip out between all the thrash. There are some bigger holes drilled to it so I could mount it.

qfV8rKq.jpg

5th Picture: I do not know how obvious it is in the pictures - probably not as much - but in reality, the wing was much more stable

kHO4EQl.jpg

6th-7th Photo: Close-Up

t5nZmNj.jpg

zypltg1.jpg

8th-9th Picture: I have also built the front of the plane on to it to look like the model better. I've also thrown some pilots in with safety belt on

y9YgTla.jpg

teCZulx.jpg

I put aluminum floor list on the wing to make it a little easier to get it on the fuselage. Then I take it off and put some decent bracing on.

Afterwards, I have built rudder and wings. It will probably be just as much a challenge for the tail is not so stable. I think I need to re build (for the third time)

To the very end, I find the correct center of gravity. It requires a lot of rotating with the motors and batteries,

Well, I pulled the pilots out again. There was not enough room for my improved nose wheel.

I have raised nose wheel up in fuselage such that the plane is reasonably straight - when a lot of weight on the rear wheels Appears course.

Besides that it can now also turn so the aircraft can navigate the runway - I can say that it is not easy to make a proper gearing from medium engine and down to the wheel. After many many different gears I found this:

VteqDJi.jpg

I have to say that it was not easy to get a proper gearing in so little space.

Here is a picture of it:

j8R5FKK.jpg

I also built the tail on which I mainly I wanted. I used a different technique to the axles and then put the link arms inside to stabilize it all now that there must rudder and wings.

I have only stabilized vertically. I just need to do the same horizontally such that it makes from side to side.

pHvAXfF.jpg

XezFfGs.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuselage, but without wings. I've got wings attached so I know where to sit exactly. I now needs to get it built "straight" down to make it aerodynamic. As it probably can be seen in the picture bend the tail down and fuselage "break" between the front and rear wheels. This is due to no lift arms sits between the rings the two places, and it is simply to ease the work when I need batteries into plane (center of gravity gotta be right). Maybe I switch the engine on the nose out with an XL engine because it is heavier and does not run nearly as fast.

nxRc7nz.jpg

N1SLlmv.jpg

As I said, tilting it slightly forward, but it will certainly not when first coming wings and rudders on it

I can not really figure out how to use SR 3D Builder - Camera and selection tool is something worse crap. Otherwise it was as easy to count parts. I should probably start with the calculator

I have found out that the sill is actually fairly stable and weighs very little. Thanks to its round shape and aluminum I think I try with it first. I will then just have found a way to attach it securely on, instead of those "pin w / Axle Holes", or whatever they called

- - - - - - -

Well anyway, so I spent time yesterday to make a computer model of the main wing. I used SR 3D Builder and it was actually not so bad when ever you got started with it.

There are exactly 394 elements used on one side of the blade wing and in total becomes just about 800 elements are added together. Here is the file

The rest of yesterday and today until 12 o'clock , I used to build the rear wing. It should be no secret that it was pure hell that get it to be just like the original - literally.

5 times I had to re build it. First you measure the drawing. Then you measure wrong because the drawing is a bad one. Then you measure right and build of life desire - then I find out that the drawing is wrong designed! If you look here and compared to the original one, sees immediately that the wings of the drawing is completely straight, while in reality they pointed up - well over again ....

And so it continues. The mounting of the wing was also something strange. If it were not because my building technique consisted of coincidences, I had given up long ago. But I'll show you.

CCEH9TT.jpg

lcKkcas.jpg

FZbVyK7.jpg

qRIj1R6.jpg

y2ru0lt.jpg

If you on the next picture notice the part of the red arrows indicate you will discover that it is a part I did not know I had, and showed up when I was building my 8x8 MOC

It is 4 studs wide and 0.5 lift arms we know, but this one has holes in each end - incredibly useful!

So Svend-Erik, thank you very much

cOEpxl5.jpg

3iPG3IX.jpg

wMxCzI5.jpg

KJD1W91.jpg

Now I will then start to build tail rudder and it should be 32 cm high

Yes, it is something wild I have started

And Rune, incredible as it may seem I still laugh at your comment

I do not believe in flying LEGO (with the exception of the Buzz Lightyear method)

Wait... you intend this to fly?

If you can actually get it to, you will be world famous. However I am very doubtful this is possible without non-lego components.

Anyway, then 5292 engine is not running strong enough, with enough Horsepower so I came across this page: http://www.josepino.com/?electric_motor2

Now, if I made 2 of those yellow wheels with copper and stuck them believe in so that it will go fast enough, or is there another kind of lego engine that can handle the job than 5292?

First of all, HOLY SHIT!! That is an amazing plane! I can't wait to see it done... I really like the open frame construction. I think it's an amazing way to both give a model a nice shape, as well as make it possible to see the inner workings of the model. And that, as I see it, is a part of the point with Technic. I'm trying to design a car around the same concept, and see some of the challenges you have got'n past.

I have a suggestion for you, if you are willing to modify a motor. I've been playing around with this idea for a while, but still haven't made a model to test it in. The XL motor is the most efficient Lego has made yet, only problem is it's geared so low its almost unusable for high speed applications. What I want to do, is to modify the planetary gearbox to speed it up. The pictures below shows the inner workings of the motor, and as you can see there is a two stage planetary gearbox inside it. My idea is to lock one (for good speed/power ratio) or two (for maximum speed) of those planetary gears. I've showed how this can be done in the second picture, with the blue and red markings. The red markings shows what needs to be cut away, while the blue shows where the gears need to be locked with glue.

xl_mod_1.pngxl_mod_2.png

For even greater speed I would recommend making a battery pack consisting of a 3 cell LiPo battery. This would give you a compact, powerful, battery pack at 11.1 Volt. Just remember to add a cut off, or you could very well end up melting both the battery and the model...

I will make a new topic for the motor mod as soon as I get around to doing it...

-ED-

And so I have not built on tail rudder as I said yesterday, but given the landing gear strong overtaking. Now it works - every time, and it just stuck together.

There is really not much to tell about it. I have used some Expert tandhul because it was the only thing that just fitted - and because they have some nice long teeth to grab hold on.

There is no gearing on the engine this time, so it is straight and hard. However, I have changed the medium the engine out with an XL, so if not it works when it has to then it is the engine is burnt

OlKXKwM.jpg

IGobgHd.jpg

EkfKy3Q.jpg

yLySz5d.jpg

It is a total foul weather outside. It thunders and roars so I have not gone out to take pictures.

I also have a video of it all. I just do not understand how a camera can take fairly pictures but MISERABLE videos. It must therefore ye find yourselves in until I bought a decent camera instead of mother and father 'Bilka bras.

I had actually cut some of the video from here and there, but somehow, the original 70 MB turned into 1.7 GB! So much time I have not to wait for the upload.

But tomorrow I will definitely start to build tail rudder. I also found out that I probably will have to redo some of the main wing on. If it must match the scale, then the flaps that turns the plane to be 5L long instead of those 2L as they are now. Tail rudder will be 7L because otherwise the machine pulls to one side.

The main wings, I also have built properly. The few brackets you see on the video and maybe the pictures are not enough. The plane'll come to hang in the wings.

- - - - - - - -

I will reply to comments as soon as I'm finished uploading content

- - - - - - - -

Otherwise, I have built tail rudder. It is in my opinion been reasonably good and solid - Especially the latter is important for it to keep its shape. However, I probably have to build some liftarms on the place where it starts to go up from the plane of.

I have used the green tube for them, I knew that I had a billion of .... Okay exaggeration, but I've certainly many. They clearly have to be replaced some in black as I buy on Bricklink.

mvIcvVb.jpg

IkwUwy2.jpg

l5qFOsY.jpg

1qBQXMk.jpg

Wd7cUMT.jpg

sX5m15H.jpg

As probably most likely can seen in the pictures, so I have reinforced the whole mess even more than it already was, so for that to be falling apart should at least drop a nuclear bomb first - literally. It was a little heavier than expected out there ....

I can see how it is reinforced out in the end on the pictures above. This is one of the body

ypUnUGR.jpg

It was quite a challenge to build the tail. I have had many many hours thinking about it. It looks simple, but you forget one thing:

It all must have the same measurements as on the real airplane, and you have to really think out out of the box with all the odd angles ...

The center of gravity at the moment is a good distance from the center of the plane. I hope that I can rectify with some battery boxes and such

The weight won't become less by building something on all times. The whole body of the plane with the rear (no main blades) weighs 2.4 kg.

So I have a problem: I've put a motor with gearing on the rudder. There are 3 gimbal-part one after the other and then comes the chain. The rudder is a little over 3 seconds. to react and it is very long. I can not really do anything about those universal joints, but that pesky chain, I would have switched out for something else. It takes up too much space outwards which is 2.5 L wide, but gotta preferably only 1L (or so)

I can not just put a lot of small gears in succession it gives waaay too much play. The small gears are also too small to fit on the chain, and those medium gears are too large or small to fit properly on the chain, the chain is slack.

I REALLY need a good idea here, because I am completely empty. completelyt empty ... So bid finally into.

- - - - - - - - -

Cough cough .... axle Pull ....

Axle pull! Why on earth did not I think even at that??? Stupid ... Well never mind.

Thanks for the reminder Carsten and one that apparently will remain anonymous. It was just what I needed.

The reason I chose to put the gears in the middle, was that I was afraid to the rudder came to sway to the top, but after a little modification, it seems that there was no cause for concern

I have now built a little about it with many complicated beta versions, but it is not easy to do when you absolutely have to do it more hassle than it is. I fastened the whole thing and tried many solutions, but found this solution when it is something more "fluid".

p0bMA01.jpg

fi3N5jy.jpg

I should probably also mention that I HAVE tried with the clutch gear (the white gear), but there simply is not enough torque in it. It glides just , and if the wind grabs hold of the rudder it turns with guaranteed uncontrolled. In the absence of better, I used the yellow gears. They does not match in well, I think so as the tubes are also black at some point.

- - - - - - - - -

For each black brick is 10 studs (3 under the wing) and a minifig next to itif it is anything you can relate to. Otherwise, there is also the dining table as a measurement

QsPWgyl.jpg

NKXMh9u.jpg

- - - - - - - - -

I want to know how long it takes before the clutch-gear breaks you the video below.

If you imagine that the actuator is on the nose wheel and that the pistons are those of the middle wheels of the plane then you're not not far off. And then, all three engines of course replaced out to a single PF XL motor

I'm talking about the way those white gear that sits at the "handle". There has to be min. 2 and we will take 3 to be safe, otherwise they will not grip enough.

It is, of course, just a test setup

And if that is not the solution (most likely not), then I would like to know how else I can do with pneumatic. The reason I choose pneumatic now, is that they take up only half by what does actuators and can be rock hard when an actuator just ticks over.

I have also decided to change my landing wheels out, with some of the right size ala scale (20x50), and the springs I have used are the small hard springs. I have found out that a single one of them can handle approx. 1000 grams, and with 4 pieces will be 4 kg. I do not think they will be strong enough to finish, but I think you can make your own spring by somewhat thicker metal?

PcolHGn.jpg

LOFX5YE.jpg

I want to show a picture of the right landing wheels. Please zoom into 400% and then look on landing gear> Drawing

As can be seen, there is a small cylinder in the middle to pull in and out, and a kind of support bar to keep the stable wheels. Besides, the shock absorber is almost as big as the wheel, and therefore I have chosen to take the small springs and put on.

- - - - - - - -

There are more to come tomorrow, for now I must go to bed, I've got to work tomorrow.

I have built pneumatic into the landing gear now, and I must admit that it has become much better than it was before.

The shape of the suspension is almost 100% alike the original now and the wheels are always within the suspension.

I chose to use a mini pump for each cylinder. I then obtain the same pressure in each cylinder, rather than if Icoupled them together, whereby one cylinder would absorb more air than the other.

The mini pumps also come from the Unimog. It's actually a really good set TLG has developed

First a picture of the engine with various pneumatic-gear.

srNy3pg.jpg

Then it has been mounted

JFIqPBH.jpg

VSWZqDd.jpg

And then I will show some very confusing images of the suspension mechanism

OO9YyZn.jpg

xbI3HbF.jpg

rePwumo.jpg

WMeOaGF.jpg

9Vg5y6u.jpg

As one must have noticed, there is a beam which runs on the underside of the fuselage. This is a conscious decision, because on the original sticks the wheel-box also just under the fuselage. I think there is room for a kind of cover that covers the wheels when I get that far.

There is not much else to say about it than that it is pure experimentation to obtain the result.

The front wheel must also be built on to the right size. Unfortunately I have only one wheel in the size, so I have to buy a more brick link. - By the way, the rear wheels are also the right size scale-wise.

Everything is measured out.

- - - - - - - -

- I have changed the shock absorber in the front wheel to one in black with a strong spring in

- I have rebuilt the tail rudder a little bit to get a proper mechanism installed in it. There is not much room to play with there, and do not worry, universal joint is correctly oriented and likewise does all chain links. I chose to do this because it's not good that the motor steering the rudder is weighing down the plane in just one side.

I have used a few stud-blocks and two of the really old gears

Pk6z16h.jpg

Here is really just put a worm and a 24-tooth gears on. The engine is only fixed with 2 pins and a single axle, so at the rear of the engine sits 2 Mickey Mouse with 4 holes, right next to the back so the engine does not fall off.

xDxEf1f.jpg

- Besides that, I also found out that there is something wrong with my mechanism that pulls landing gear in and out. It works fine if I separate the front from the rest, but as soon as they are put together there is something that goes wrong. Nose wheel and rear the wheel drive really well independently, though not together .... I must find a solution in the near future.

- In the end, I have also gotten built the wings completely finished as they should be - there are a few minor details around, but it will have to wait. It works really well with the carbon fiber rods I have stuck through; the wings have become much more rigid in it. I have a rod in each wing which has been cut to 1 m, and a hollow tube of the same thickness in the thick portion of the blade for added stability. I just need to get the wings firmly attached, right now they are only fastened in the thick side which of course contributes to they askew as can be seen in the pictures.

Here it is seen that the wings bend a bit to one side, but it's clear when they are only been half fixed. I also put some ribbed hoses in all the way across the wing where it was possible, it makes it easier to get the wing to get the right momentum once it shall be covered (or something close at least)

jINw1Y8.jpg

Here viewed directly from above, you can see the carbon fiber rod run all the way through the wing and almost out in the end that there is no reason to stabilize that much. Control flaps have also been wider - Total 4L now where they were 2L before

MQSp2H6.jpg

Here in the middle is really nothing special, but it can probably spotted that they are oblique angles is a hideous work to get it to fit. I gotta also remember that these joints I here make must hold ALL the plane together, so it should just sit damn tight

vX9UvMu.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

Today I gotten the wings built entirely on. There is, as I said a carbon fiber rod at 1m under all panels and attached strong to the wing several places on the way out, and are securely connected to the fuselage in several places.

The other two carbon fiber rod in the middle of the wings is pushed out until they could go no further and are been sawn off to fit. On the fuselage are they fitted with a kind of lever principle - see for yourself.

I had actually decided that the motorsto the wing flaps should be advanced towards the nose, but it is virtually impossible and there will be far too much play there. One universal joint is plenty for play, but it's nothing to do about.

We start with a picture of the tail rudder, because it's been awhile since there has been an updated picture of it, for good measures

Dg92mm1.jpg

jURnPa7.jpg

0AGem4f.jpg

TZYuooO.jpg

9zlxwRv.jpg

A1DXH0G.jpg

iHhzopo.jpg

The plan is that I have to change all three medium engines out with some of the new servo motors once they come out, and I should also have all 44.gif replaced with some black so it looks just a little decent ....

Next project is then to get streamlined tail rudder, main wings and landing gear just like on the model. It is probably the most difficult so far, but we'll see ....

That is all. No more google translate from now on. ATM I'm working on my landing gear mechanism as it still jams. I know what is wrong, it's just a pain in the @ss to get it fixed.... (lol megablocks? nice censoring but on the terms and conditions page it states that only 18+ members are allowed - why censor?)

Wow, that is going to be some impressive plane!

Are you planning to clad the hull? Or will it stay barebones like it is now?

To make it fly I will have to clad the fuselage and wings or else there's no way to lift it.

Holy macaroni - i mean wow. This is quite impressive in terms of its size.

Yep, I think too and I never would've thought I'd build something this massive ever.

Wow, thats really massive. But I doubt it will ever fly :classic:

You're certainly not the first one to say that but I'll show all of you

Wait... you intend this to fly?

If you can actually get it to, you will be world famous. However I am very doubtful this is possible without non-lego components.

Yes I intend to make this thing fly. However, you're right that I won't be using 100% LEGO components. I've already used carbon rods to stabilize the wings and the LEGO propellers will just bend forward before they start moving the plane. To make it fly, I need real model plane engines (not gas though obviously) and real wooden propellers in exact copy of the original ones.

First of all, HOLY SHIT!! That is an amazing plane! I can't wait to see it done... I really like the open frame construction. I think it's an amazing way to both give a model a nice shape, as well as make it possible to see the inner workings of the model. And that, as I see it, is a part of the point with Technic. I'm trying to design a car around the same concept, and see some of the challenges you have got'n past.

I have a suggestion for you, if you are willing to modify a motor. I've been playing around with this idea for a while, but still haven't made a model to test it in. The XL motor is the most efficient Lego has made yet, only problem is it's geared so low its almost unusable for high speed applications. What I want to do, is to modify the planetary gearbox to speed it up. The pictures below shows the inner workings of the motor, and as you can see there is a two stage planetary gearbox inside it. My idea is to lock one (for good speed/power ratio) or two (for maximum speed) of those planetary gears. I've showed how this can be done in the second picture, with the blue and red markings. The red markings shows what needs to be cut away, while the blue shows where the gears need to be locked with glue.

For even greater speed I would recommend making a battery pack consisting of a 3 cell LiPo battery. This would give you a compact, powerful, battery pack at 11.1 Volt. Just remember to add a cut off, or you could very well end up melting both the battery and the model...

I do not wish to modify any LEGO motor at all. Whatever I would do would make it go faster but certainly not fast enough for the plane to take off. Besides I still need to mount some real propellers....

you have to remove "sørme" in post nr. 3 :laugh:

btw good to have you here. :classic:

Noted, I'll take a look through the thread at some time to remove similar issues.

What a great Technic model! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: In the last 11 years, the only cargo aircraft model similar in scale to your Antonov AN-140 is this Lockheed C-130 Hercules from 2001

I didn't even know there was ever built a LEGO plane in that size. But then again, I just searched youtube to see if there was anyone that had built a plane that big. From what I can tell he used parts he already had and in 2001 there wasn't all these new panels and special PF stuff, but it's still rather impressive.

I've seen that there's a guy on youtube who has built this nice propeller. It's quite large and I'm impressed he could fit all those functions in that small fuselage. On the other hand he didn't have to worry much about any odd angles to attach his interior to.

Well, with powerful enough motors you can make pretty much anything "fly" these days! Making it fly well enought to land without breaking into 10,000 pieces is a whole different thing. To be controllable at all you will need a very rigid structure and precisely adjustable control surfaces. The amount of play between two 8t gears alone will probably negate all these efforts, let alone the twisting of long plastic axles and UJs. I think you'de be better having thin servos in the wings. I know you have stopped the wings sagging but this is lego and it's designed to come apart. Have you tried shaking the plane violently whilst holding it in the air by only it's wings? Bear that in mind when things are constantly bending and flexing to their limits in flight. I wish you all the best of luck, nobody got anywhere without trying.

Well, with powerful enough motors you can make pretty much anything "fly" these days! Making it fly well enought to land without breaking into 10,000 pieces is a whole different thing. To be controllable at all you will need a very rigid structure and precisely adjustable control surfaces. The amount of play between two 8t gears alone will probably negate all these efforts, let alone the twisting of long plastic axles and UJs. I think you'de be better having thin servos in the wings. I know you have stopped the wings sagging but this is lego and it's designed to come apart. Have you tried shaking the plane violently whilst holding it in the air by only it's wings? Bear that in mind when things are constantly bending and flexing to their limits in flight. I wish you all the best of luck, nobody got anywhere without trying.

You are absolutely correct. I believe that the planes structure is pretty rigid already but there are a few points I still need to stabilize. I don't know where the 8t gears are mentioned unless you didn't read all of the posts I've translated. You're right about the long axles too. I believe that I can put some tiny servo motors (not LEGO) into the wings when the time comes but as of now, there is only one solution.

I've shaken the plane pretty rough sometimes before but not for a longer period of time. Nothing were shaken apart though. I think that when the time comes to put some kind of coating over it, the coating will hold the plane together. Just now when building on my landing gear, I found out that the rudder has got a way to become lose in the gears if tangled with too much. But by the time I need to make it fly, tiny servos will serve their purpose here too.

- - - - - - - -

Anyway, I've repaired my landing gear so that it works every time now. It doesn't matter if I strain the axles now since the structure by the XL-motor is super strong now. Before, the knob wheels wouldn't stick together properly, so the solution was to add another liftarm frame to the construction. This solution was very simple yet so difficult to implement. It works now though, see for your self below

I didn't even know there was ever built a LEGO plane in that size. But then again, I just searched youtube to see if there was anyone that had built a plane that big. From what I can tell he used parts he already had and in 2001 there wasn't all these new panels and special PF stuff, but it's still rather impressive.

I've seen that there's a guy on youtube who has built this nice propeller. It's quite large and I'm impressed he could fit all those functions in that small fuselage. On the other hand he didn't have to worry much about any odd angles to attach his interior to.

Well... There is one other plane that has a similar scale, and similar functions to yours. The baby Twin Otter. It has an amazing set of functions, but only limited motorization of functions. And... It will never fly. Yours may though, with the right motor/battery combination...

-ED-

Well... There is one other plane that has a similar scale, and similar functions to yours. The baby Twin Otter. It has an amazing set of functions, but only limited motorization of functions. And... It will never fly. Yours may though, with the right motor/battery combination...

-ED-

I've made a response in that thread. It's a very nice plane :sweet:

I've made an

File removed due to file size limitations - see post for an updated file

i've build the wings in SR3D Builder too and you can see it buy watching the video beneath. A video of the real wings are also shown.

What's not in the video are the propellers. I've included one pair in the file.

Wings.zip

Are those flaps long enough?

Flag 6 x 4

What do you mean "are they long enough?"? what are you suggesting to be replaced? The main wings are final and the tail wings + rudder will get out of proportions if I use a 6 stud long flag.

Oops yes what about using the longer ones I posted above instead of the ones you are using at the minute as thay look a bit to small.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

if you actually got this to 'fly' somehow, wouldnt those flaps gets misaligned or just move by themselves from wind?

Oops yes what about using the longer ones I posted above instead of the ones you are using at the minute as thay look a bit to small.

The wings needs to have an aerodynamic shape and by increasing the wing tips "flatness" this shape is way out of proportions. Also, read my post above.

if you actually got this to 'fly' somehow, wouldnt those flaps gets misaligned or just move by themselves from wind?

You are partially right about that. Not that I know the exact answer but my guess is that the amount of wind flowing over the wing is keeping all the flags straight and aligned with the wing.

For the flaps, the flags would probably misalign themself with the 1x2 liftarms, but I assume I could use tape to keep the flags aligned to each other so the amount of force needed to make them bend is increased. If that isn't enough the only way would be to glue the pieces together. Obviously this is no good solution and is used as a last resort.