blackdeathgr

[OL - FB3] Little Hermes trade ship

Small Hermes was constructed at the fine shipyards of New Oleon and ordered to sail to Breshaun, Le Bellan, so as to assist trading there and further the interests of the great Oleander nation. Due to its experienced multinational crew, it can overcome nearly every difficulty thrown at her in the sea. The only slight drawback is the lack of armament as it is currently carrying only 4 swivel guns and one canon.

Oleander citizens that don't have a ship yet, can licence this merchant ship as his/her first licenced ship for free for a month's duration, in order to test the MCRA model of the game. If no Oleander citizen is found to licence it, then any participant of BoBS can licence it again for free for a month's duration.

P.S: I sooo wanted to use golden flying warrior as a figurehead :P

23928017984_556857df79_c.jpgLittle Hermes I by Spy Tha, on Flickr

24260681180_9ab3eae2a5_c.jpgLittle Hermes deck I by Spy Tha, on Flickr

24556285895_5e07f6375e_c.jpgNavigation I by Spy Tha, on Flickr

23929495173_f77a13426e_c.jpgFigurehead by Spy Tha, on Flickr

that's a pretty little ship you got there! I really like that's a wooden one

Nice little ship you built there Blackdeathgr... I like the custom sails too :)

Cool little sloop there! The quarter deck detailing is really nice and that winged warrior is great for figurehead! pirate_satisfied.gif

It looks like a fine balanced class 2 vessel, so I would estimate it as a class 2 WR.

Is there any particular reason why you do not use it ýourself for the MRCA? Have you already licensed a ship, or are you not going to participate? (In any case, letting someone borrow it is a really nice initiative! pirate_blush.gif )

The rigging is looking nice - what are the material for the sails?

A few suggestions: Add a jib to the forestay - should make her perform better nearer to the wind. Further, I think the mast is looking a bit short. Adding a topmast and moving the square sail up above the spanker sail would make them pull better together (right now, they are taking eachother's wind. That way, you would have a topsail sloop. pirate_blush.gif

I couldn't seem to find other freebuilds from you, but I might very well be wrong. However, I just want to make sure you know challenge entries does not count as freebuilds. pirate_blush.gif

In case I am mistaken, I hereby approve! pir_laugh2.gif

that's a pretty little ship you got there! I really like that's a wooden one

Nice little ship you built there Blackdeathgr... I like the custom sails too :)

Thanks!

Cool little sloop there! The quarter deck detailing is really nice and that winged warrior is great for figurehead! pirate_satisfied.gif

It looks like a fine balanced class 2 vessel, so I would estimate it as a class 2 WR.

Is there any particular reason why you do not use it ýourself for the MRCA? Have you already licensed a ship, or are you not going to participate? (In any case, letting someone borrow it is a really nice initiative! pirate_blush.gif )

The rigging is looking nice - what are the material for the sails?

A few suggestions: Add a jib to the forestay - should make her perform better nearer to the wind. Further, I think the mast is looking a bit short. Adding a topmast and moving the square sail up above the spanker sail would make them pull better together (right now, they are taking eachother's wind. That way, you would have a topsail sloop. pirate_blush.gif

I couldn't seem to find other freebuilds from you, but I might very well be wrong. However, I just want to make sure you know challenge entries does not count as freebuilds. pirate_blush.gif

In case I am mistaken, I hereby approve! pir_laugh2.gif

Hehe, thanks for your comments! I am not participating for now at the MRCA so as to better understand the rules and to help Oleanders that (seem to me) fall back in posting MOCs. Ofc if noone else license it, i will claim it for myself.

Sail cloth is called "caboto" in Greece and it is used in wooden ship model making. It feels and looks like linen but it isn't quite that. You can saturate it with water+wood glue to make it stiffer or/and water+tea to make it darker (I think i read about these technics from Cpt Green Hair somewhere in the pirate forum)

Regarding the mast height, I actually considered making it taller but the ship seems so short and bulky, i opted to go without it. But i will surely try it out in my dockyard. Jib is definitely a miss. Should have added it indeed.

You cant find more free builds from me? In that case i am doing something wrong pirate_tong.gif I have also done Hermol d'Offren portrait and Rough beaches of the New world pirate_tong.gifpirate_tong.gif

Thanks for approving!!

Approved as well!!!

I agree with Bregir on the Class 2 WR, is that ok for you?

The figurehead is very nice, I am still wondering how he is attached to the ship?

Approved as well!!!

I agree with Bregir on the Class 2 WR, is that ok for you?

The figurehead is very nice, I am still wondering how he is attached to the ship?

Thanks! A class 2 it is then pirate_classic.gif Figurehead is attached using 99207 and a hinge behind it with an 1x2 plate on top. Check behind legs for further details

Nice looking sloop.

Nice use of the new CMF winged warrior as figurehead !

This is nice of you to let an other player use the license for the MCRA.

I approve.

That's a nice sloop but I agree with the thought that a jib and possibly a taller mast would look better. It's also a very generous offer. I've never really liked the look of the palisade bricks on ships just because it gives the planking a vertical, rather than horizontal, appearance. But it's a solid design overall. I approve.

I dont like palisade bricks on ships either but the majrity of my anything-brown bricks are of that type, hence their use.

Major update with photos tomorrow. I have added a jib and it looks way better. Thanks for the tip Bregir and Cpt Dee!

Nice ship!

I think you've already gotten the maritime feedback but a tip from me would be to increase the distance between the vertical part of the backdrop and the model (and maybe a smoother curving of it) when taking your pictures.

Ironing it wouldn't hurt either :wink:

A fine ship! You are lucky to have Series 15 already...pirate_wink.gif

Edit: added a thumbup.gif

Edited by Mike S

Nice ship!

Ironing it wouldn't hurt either :wink:

My fiancee just read your comment about ironing. Now she hates you till eternity!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!! pirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

It definitely looks better with a jib! Gives it a more balance look.

However, I am going to maintain that increasing the mast height 5-10 cm and moving the squaresail upwards accordingly would improve it even further. (Do not feel obliged to do it - it is more of a general remark for future ships. pirate_blush.gif )

Typically, on one-masted ships, the mast is taller than the length of the hull. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples of overlap between square and spanker sail, so perhaps it would simply be best to add another squaresail on the topmast. See for instance this pic:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/navy_sloop.jpg

Anyways, she is still a lovely little vessel ship (I really shouldn't be calling her a ship, since she isn't a full rigged ship pirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_tong.gif ), and it is really cool that you show us the result from adding the jib! Thanks! pirate_satisfied.gif

My fiancee just read your comment about ironing. Now she hates you till eternity!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!! pirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif

You have awoken the Kraken! (Oh my - I probably got myself on that list too now... pirate_oh.gif )

24369947911_0c08325477_t.jpg I'd give that jib a good jibbing!

24156803900_a3a468091d_t.jpg I...nevermind...I don't even know how to respond to that....

:thumbup:

Thank you everyone for your comments. Getting better by the day i hope.

@Pombe: I will never stop laughing with your posts!

@Bregir: Always happy to listen to your advice. Mast is indeed usually lengthier than the ship's hull. Btw that ship you posted, which name eludes me, was the most usual vessel in Aegean sea and that's how i wanted mine to look like. I have fond memories of our Xmas as a child decorating one such model ship (it is a greek custom since forever) along with the more "recent" western custom of decorating our Xmas tree. Oh, and start running! She is coming for you as well!!!

@Sir Stig: The jib, definitely jibbed the ship alright!

The addition of the jib really transforms the overall look. It just looks so much more balanced that way. Before the bowsprit just looked forlorn and useless. Much better!

I for one love the log/palisade bricks! thumbup.gif

I agree...I use them all the time....I figure the horizontal planking is done by the hull pieces....and palisades give it that look of "fortress at sea" as well!

Arrrrgh, A fine Piraaty approval fer ya! :thumbup:

A fine ship! You are lucky to have Series 15 already...pirate_wink.gif

I love the simplistic coloring of the ship which actually accents the design. Especially the wood features really make the ship stand out.

I will echo Mike in that I am jealous you already have series 15.

thumbup.gif from Corrington.