Sign in to follow this  
D3K

[MOD] 8420 Visual and technical upgrade

So, I wanted to have a display model in a shelf, and I asked myself; "what is the best looking set I have that is not too large?"

The answer was obviously 8240 8420 Street Motorcycle

brickpicker_set_8420-1_4.jpg

However, as i finished building the model, I must admit I wasn't as impressed as the last time I built it. Some things had to be improved..

I'll just show the pictures of my modded model, and list the changes at the bottom. Hope you like it!

Pictures are clickable for much higher resolution, or you can check out the Bricksafe gallery

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

As was the case with the original; this is IMO the far worst angle to view it from :sweet:

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

So the most obvious visual changes I made were the following:

-Sprung suspension on front wheel, while maintaining the dimensions of the original

-Radiator in front of the engine

-Some more panelling for the body, filling in the huge gaps there

-Long, sleek panels along the seat area

-Gas tank that doesn't leak as bad as the original :laugh:

-Large rear chain sprocket

-More realistic and better looking exhaust (at least IMO)

-Filled in the seat with some tiles

-Reorganized the rear lights

Edited by D3K

Great improvements. The body is so much better. I like the front suspension.

Sexy is a word that comes in mind....Good Job on the Aestatics, I like the panel covering..

And way better than the original..

Edited by L3gonut

Nice rendition for a more "closed" look, with several good updrades (good looking front steering fork and exhaust) but all-in-all I still prefer the simplicity of the original model (even with City Airplane Turbines as an exhaust)...

There's something about those mid-2000's models that keeps in the eye and heart.

I like paneling and looks very much :thumbup: It's now more updated and modern looking :classic: Nice front suspension and exhaust/muffler :thumbup: Maybe you can add footrests and pedals to it? And I think two mufflers would be maybe even better looking... All and all really good job!

Edit: Meaning with two mufflers something like this

Ggz5nmL.jpg

Edited by MacKaiwer

I'm glad you seem to like it! I, for one, am currently displaying it in a shelf :classic: First set to be on display in my home!

I like paneling and looks very much :thumbup: It's now more updated and modern looking :classic: Nice front suspension and exhaust/muffler :thumbup: Maybe you can add footrests and pedals to it? And I think two mufflers would be maybe even better looking... All and all really good job!

Yeah, ideally I would have made two of them, but that was my whole supply of cam pieces :blush: I'll try to remember to order some more on my next Lego haul :wink:

Great improvement of the 8420 :wub: and here you can good see that TLG designers must work always in budget :sceptic:

Definitely, especially the tank area IMO needed some major refinement :thumbup: My version is by no means perfect, but given my limited supply of modern studded (normal) parts, I'm quite satisfied :classic:

Also something I noted when building this, is it uses a lot of techniques I'm pretty sure we'd not see on a set released these days. Especially the steering wheel area uses a lot of half beams and not exactly sturdy builds, no doubt to give it the sleek look, but at the cost of rigidity. It's interesting to see how for example they attached both side mirrors, with only one pin in a #3 connector, etc. Like I said; techniques I don't think we'd see today.

Overall, I still think this is the best Technic motorcycle they ever released, and quite possibly one of the best looking Technic sets ever! :thumbup:

Looks good... :) ...you mean 8420 not 8240... :)

I felt also in love with motobikes and I have finished the chopper few days ago... :)

Max...

Looks good... :) ...you mean 8420 not 8240... :)

I felt also in love with motobikes and I have finished the chopper few days ago... :)

Max...

Yes, 8420 it is :blush:

And yes, the B-model (assuming that's the chopper you meant?) of this set is pretty nice as well, however I think the B-model of 8051 is better! :classic: Don't have that set though, but I want it for the B-model!

EDIT:

8051-0000-xx-33-2.jpg

Edited by D3K

Yes... I made the 8051 B Model and modified it... I also did not have this set but I made it from my own parts + from 42036 (wheels, suspension, chain...) and 42007 (big rear gear and chain)

Max...