Sign in to follow this  
GeneralLego

Tips for making complex MOCs?

Does anyone have some good tips for making complex BIONICLE MOCs? I'm interested in entering the golden mask contest and I want to learn some better techniques than what I'm used to. :tongue: Thanks!

I, too, am trying to learn the art of complex Bionicle MOCing and from what I've seen, the big things are creative use of Technic, System and Minifig pieces to make the body (kinda like in Titan sets but more refined) and thinking of new ways to use pieces made for only a couple specific purposes.

One does not simply learn how to build complex MOCs. In Soviet Russia, MOCs learn how to build YOU.

All jokes aside, it just takes thought. To put it in the most simplified form possible, here are some tips:

Gather inspiration. Look at some very experienced MOC creators, and learn strategies for building from them. To become a great builder, look at what they are making, and see if you can emulate their styles.

Don't be afraid to try something new. If you want to build something but you are afraid that people wouldn't like it, build it anyway. Screw the system, it's your creation!

Practice, practice, practice. Build MOCs any time you can. And when you aren't building, think of ideas. Developing a skill takes a lot of practice, and building is no exception.

See what people think! When you post your MOC, see what people think you could have done better. There is always room for improvement!

Mistakes aren't the end of the world. If you felt you have done something wrong, don't be discouraged to complete the MOC. Sometimes, even mistakes have led to some pretty awesome creations!

Experiment! Combine different styles of building to create your own! Morph together Technic, System, Bionicle, and CCBS to create a unified and detailed look. Use pieces how they weren't originally intended for.

If you need some more tips, ask around. Many of us here have been MOCcing with constraction for quite a long time, so you can ask us.

Edited by Zenerius

Zenerius gave some great tips, most of what I would say. But one thing I'll add is don't improvise. For example if you want to make hands with articulated fingers, but can't get the look you want right away, don't give up! Keep trying new parts and techniques until you get it down. If there's something you don't like with your moc, keep going until your happy. And good luck with your entry!

Those are some great tips, thank you! I'm studying some really well made MoCs and the techniques used are amazing. I thought of a couple things, tested them out in LDD before Bricklinking the pieces I'd need and thought they looked really nice.

Those are some great tips, thank you! I'm studying some really well made MoCs and the techniques used are amazing. I thought of a couple things, tested them out in LDD before Bricklinking the pieces I'd need and thought they looked really nice.

No problem! Good luck with your MOCs and the golden mask contest :laugh:

Zenerius, you are a life saver. I haven't MOCed in a long time and my skills are incredibly rusty now, it was good to have something to refresh my mind!