Hmm...

{pic}

Wow, that looks totally meh. Where did you find this picture? :classic:

I'm guessing the show comes back next summer.

Wow, that looks totally meh. Where did you find this picture? :classic:

I'm guessing the show comes back next summer.

It was on the back of the latest Lego Club magazine (Australia).

That must be the purple dragon everyone's talking about. The blue ship thing to the right of it looks interesting.

It was on the back of the latest Lego Club magazine (Australia).

That must be the purple dragon everyone's talking about. The blue ship thing to the right of it looks interesting.

Yep, looks like that's the mecha dragon. Thank you for providing the picture! :classic:

Awesome! I didn't get the Sept.-Oct. issue for some reason. That looks really exciting!

If that's supposed to be the 'NinjaCopter' then that doesn't really look like a helicopter. Though it also looks like it's set in a new city.

Thanks for sharing!

-Sci

Goodness, this theme gets weirder every year. Hey, whatever sells, I guess. Looking at that art, none of them are standing out as things I should buy (some are interesting; I'll probably pick some up for the heck of it), but I do like some of the designs. The only thing I don't like is that looking at the artwork, it doesn't really make me think of Ninjago on first glance. :look:

The dragon looks most interesting. The Cyborgs don't make the cool-cut at the moment. The one in the spider-chair really looks meh.

If there's one thing that I've learned from promotional art, is too never take it for the real thing. Might I direct you to the minifigure and ad versions of Laval from Legends of Chima. The minifigure is awesome, the ad art is frightening.

However, I find the Mech Dragon really cool. The weird pod thing will probably look better in the brick.

Before anyone gets concerned, keep in mind that's from the Australia Club Magazine. Not the America one, so "summer" means a launch in December/January. Which isn't too far fetched, considering the TV show coming back (allegedly) later this year.

EDIT: Honestly, I love that NINJAGO is stealing Cheema's limelight right now. I never liked Chima to begin with :laugh: (then again, never really liked NINJAGO at first :wink: )

Edited by JayWalker

What I'd like to know is Garmadon's first name.

Garmadon might BE his first name. Not all cultures historically have had father and son share the same last name, and it's common in a lot of cultures for a surname to be identical or derived from the given name of one of the parents.

Hmm...

bTn31sc.jpg

Awesome illustration! I love all the illustrations of the Ninjago theme and am glad those are still a big part of the theme's marketing. I hope there will be a version of this illustration or a similar key visual that is framed a little differently so I can use it for album artwork on my iTunes, as I've done with the 2011 and 2012 key visuals.

The many different Techno-Blades look somewhat unusual, and I'm a bit surprised that the yellow one is Jay's (I would have thought it was Cole's, but apparently Cole gets a green one). At the same time, I guess having some variety in how they're built makes them more exciting. It's really just the chainsaw-handle on Jay's that I don't like.

Not sure what to think of the Ninjacopter (if that IS what that vehicle is) since we can't see it in a whole lot of detail. But the mech-dragon looks awesome. It's a shame we can't see any new characters on this poster. I hope that there are other characters in the sets besides those we've seen... another non-generic Nindroid character would be cool, and I'm still wondering if Sensei Wu, Nya, or Garmadon might appear in new costumes. Of course, these are just the first wave of 2014 Ninjago sets, so it's still possible that there might be a second wave with more of those secondary characters.

The architecture of New Ninjago City still looks awesome! Neat to see that some of the smaller buildings still have a more traditional sort of architecture. Again, I hope some of that varied architecture ends up making it into the sets.

it looked like this time the dragon has a brick-build head.

I like that. It helps it look more robotic, rather than looking quite so naturalistic. I get the feeling it will still be similar to the other dragons in terms of scale.

Can't wait to see the Robo-Dragon's set pictures. Looks like it could be pretty cool judging by the illustration.

Question is: who is piloting the ninja? helicopter....

Garmadon might BE his first name. Not all cultures historically have had father and son share the same last name, and it's common in a lot of cultures for a surname to be identical or derived from the given name of one of the parents.

Perhaps is first name is Lord. ;)

Okay, I think there is only one thing I can say: The MechaDragon is awesome. Also, it reminds me of Godzilla a bit. Let's hope that the set size won't suffer too much from the uncancellation: Lego being cautious to release big sets would put a serious dampener on the wave.

Garfield Madon. Yeah.

Seriously, though, I don't watch the show, but aren't he and the sensei brothers? So does that make the other guy Wu Garmadon? Or maybe Wu, Garmadon, and a handful of others only have one name, like Cher.

Lloyd Montgomery Garmadon

Lord Garmadon

Sensei Wu (or just Wu)

Though Garmadon is Lloyd's last name, Misako called LORD Garmadon, Garmadon.

Garmadon calls his brother Wu.

So their names are:

Wu Garmadon

Lloyd Garmadon

Lord Garmadon (first name isn't known)

and Misako Garmadon.

:tongue:

-Sci

Lloyd Montgomery Garmadon

Lord Garmadon

Sensei Wu (or just Wu)

Though Garmadon is Lloyd's last name, Misako called LORD Garmadon, Garmadon.

Garmadon calls his brother Wu.

So their names are:

Wu Garmadon

Lloyd Garmadon

Lord Garmadon (first name isn't known)

and Misako Garmadon.

:tongue:

-Sci

But Wu also calls his brother "Garmadon" from time to time. Would someone really refer to his own brother by his own last name, no matter how distant they had become? It would be like Venus Williams referring to her sister as "Williams". That's part of what makes me think that Garmadon is Lord Garmadon's given name, not his surname. Lloyd's last name is thus a Patronym, such as is used in many parts of Africa, India, and Pakistan. His name would basically mean "Lloyd, son of Garmadon".

Of course, this is really all the LEGO Group's fault for naming the new antagonist for 2012 "Lloyd Garmadon". If they hadn't been bound and determined to use that pun and had given him just a first name like most other Ninjago characters, none of this confusion would have had to take place. And instead we'd be spending our time puzzling over something more important like the ambiguities of Lord Garmadon and Sensei Wu's age, or when exactly Lloyd was born.

Cyborg ninjas, mecha dragons and chainsaw axes! I really think that this year's Ninjago sets appeal to boys who like this "T-Rex drives the Batmobile and explodes" sort of thing. I don't think I'm buying any of the sets, but might pick a few figure parts from Bricklink later.

Can't we say that Lord Garmadon went the Mario Bros. route (Mario Mario and Luigi Mario) and call it good? Sure that makes Wu a Garmadon as well, but if that is the way it must be, then so be it. It would be nice to have more clarification on the writers' part though.

Just because he's referred to as Garmadon, doesn't mean it's his only name. It may very well be their surname. For example, Nick Fury is almost always referred to as solely Fury. He still has a first name. What's to stop them from giving Garmadon a first name.

Good to know Lego CAN make reboots ( :cry_sad: but not for Bionicle ). It looks intriguing. I mean it's like a mix of steam punk with Ninjas and fantasy. I hope we will get that tower in one of sets. With a dragon of course.

Just because he's referred to as Garmadon, doesn't mean it's his only name. It may very well be their surname. For example, Nick Fury is almost always referred to as solely Fury. He still has a first name. What's to stop them from giving Garmadon a first name.

Normally, yes, you're correct. It's common for people to refer to one another by their last name, especially when a first name would express an awkward sense of familiarity. But it's downright silly for a person to refer to their own sibling or spouse by a last name that the two of them share. If Kai, Zane, Jay, or Cole referred to Garmadon by that name alone, it could very easily be argued that it's his last name. But the fact that Wu and Misako have both called him Garmadon makes it extremely unlikely that it's a last name that they share with him.

I certainly would never refer to my siblings or parents by their last names alone. Not only would it seem impolite, it just wouldn't make sense — it'd be almost as if I were talking to myself.

There are many plot-holes in NINJAGO, unfortunately, due to lack of foresight. Like for instance, Lloyd's memory of the Megaweapon erased even though everyone else (including Skales) seems to remember it.

Perhaps this would be better to discuss in the TV show thread?