Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB1] The 'Triton'

Ahoy, mateys!

Time for a ship - first one in a while, therefore something a little larger.

The 'Triton'

29289128443_77b42825d1_c.jpg

With Oleon's colonial possessions growing in numbers and importance to Crown and nation, His Majesty has decided to reinforce La Royale's 'Flotte de l'Est' with a number of heavy hitters over the next couple of months. The first one that has recently arrived in the waters of New Terra is HRS Triton, a 60 gun Man-of-War, now moored in Breshaun harbor, using Oleon's largest city on LeBellan as her base of operations. Triton is a veteran of the Forty-Nine Years War, one of the few surviving vessels of the Oleander fleet back then, and for some months even served as the Grand Admiral's flagship. She may be old by now, but in the hands of a capable commander she can still deliver a devastating punch to her adversaries.

29288340594_1698fe60ee_c.jpg

29288338304_fcec545451_c.jpg

29289133933_83b92f5525_c.jpg

About:
As always, all parts exist, so Triton could be built. To be honest, Triton's hull is more than four years old by now. I started her when I wanted to try out a galleon design, but quickly lost interest, as my mind wandered to other projects... well, a clear sign of a very short attention span :grin: Anyways, recently I dug her up again and decided to finish her, so she could take her righteous place within BoBS. As Triton is prefab based/limited, she's quite narrow, and the hull technique is rather outdated in my eyes, too, but all in all she doesn't look too ill proportioned. Some numbers: Triton's piece count is a little under 7000, length at waterline is 97 studs, total length 126, beam 20.
One day I might try my hands on a more sophisticated galleon design... maybe :grin: Until then, I hope Triton serves Oleon well.

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

As always, you did an excellent ship !

It appears more massive that we could expect for a prefab based vessel and the proportions are not so disturbed. Congrats on that !

A great vessel ! Good job !

Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor and put my tongue back in my mouth, I can comment. I'm in love! :pir-wub: A fantastic galleon! The older hull technique doesn't hurt it at all. You've captured the look and feel of a war galleon perfectly! I will study this one for awhile. Even though they would be Oleon ships, I want to see more galleons like this from you!

The beast has arrived! Nice design (unlike what KB says), nice colors and once again these strings with handles work very well as actual (ratlines?) :classic:

Another huge and awesome ship, KB! :pir-wink:  The telescopes around the stern do indeed look great, and it looks like it can pack quite a punch as well!  Excellent color-scheme and rigging too - and really, the only thing I have to nitpick is the front.  The colors on the protruding part looks a little odd to my eyes for some reason - maybe if the upper row of gold studs were got rid of it would have less of a teeth sort of aspect?  Other than that, epic job, though, and I still really love your pendants and brick-built flags! :wub:

Great galleon, @Kolonialbeamter! (I just loooove tagging! :pir-grin:)

I think you have captured a lot of great characteristics of a Galleon, including the curvature of the hull, the aft galleries and cabins, and the long beakhead, as well as the 4 mast rig. I think the two gun decks work very well, and topping it up with further guns on the fore- and aft-castles is great. I think your use of the prefabs work very well, and the way you have constructed the mid-sections is very nice. The rigging is well-done too. My only criticism is that the yards for the courses would rarely be lowered towards the deck. Typically, you will see the course and topsail yards hanging very close around the crosstrees when the sails are furled. (The topsail sheets are fixed on the course yards, making lowering the latter rather complicated.). Overall, the rig is very nice, though, and I particularly like the little mast on the bowsprit! :pir-sweet:

Corrington watches with great suspicion the build-up of Olean naval assets in New Terra, and will be prepared to meet any aggression! :pir-tongue:

A perfect piece of work - yet the namegiving falls short. "Triton" (French) = "Molch" (German) = some sort of frog (English).

You might want to argue that it is the name of some godlike entity - but honestly, which tribe would name their deities after frogs?

SCNR, my friend :pir-grin::pir-grin:

And the ship really is fantastic. I want to have that in real bricks.