Gideon

A Kaliphlin Merchant [freebuilds]

A Kaliphlin merchant with a couple of his camels on a dusty road.

15093181822_46d5691275_z.jpg

The merchant selling the goods at a market.

15093540075_5342ffa777_z.jpg

Two small freebuilds to do something else than my Barqa project for LFW, which I'm quite fed up with at the moment.

The first build was mostly an experiment with the landscaping colors and with the camel loads, and the second build originated in an experiment with the canopy design.

Nice little builds, I like the first one especially. That orange color fits well with the sand and you're lucky to have those brown grass pieces. :wink:

Nice little builds, I like the first one especially. That orange color fits well with the sand and you're lucky to have those brown grass pieces. :wink:

Thanks! I'm growing more and more fond of the dark orange color as ground, especially for the reddish soil which seems to be common in tropical/subtropical climate.

The brown grass was a "now or never" deal when I found them on BL for €0.95 a piece, as they've only been in one set they are quite rare and increasingly expensive... I'm trying to use them as much as I can :classic:

Edited by Gideon

Thanks! I'm growing more and more fond of the dark orange color as ground, especially for the reddish soil which seems to be common in tropical/subtropical climate.

The brown grass was a "now or never" deal when I found them on BL for €0.95 a piece, as they've only been in one set they are quite rare and increasingly expensive...

Well it certainly did come out nice and I am looking forward to some other things you make using that color for soil. :wink:

As for those brown plant pieces, they are quite expensive and I thought about getting some but well, I had a change of mind. But those are very good for the Kaliphlin style, same with the reddish brown soil color. :thumbup:

As for those brown plant pieces, they are quite expensive and I thought about getting some but well, I had a change of mind. But those are very good for the Kaliphlin style, same with the reddish brown soil color. :thumbup:

As you seem to be going a less puristic way with your bricks, maybe Altbricks stems are worth considering sometime? :classic: Although I think their shape is not as good looking...

Very nice vigs.

Thanks!

Edited by Gideon

As you seem to be going a less puristic way with your bricks, maybe Altbricks stems are worth considering sometime? :classic: Although I think their shape is not as good looking...

I'm not going to lie but those ones look quite ugly. Also, the only thing that won't be pure about my builds are weapons and armor. But I might get some of those but the shape is just weird in my opinion.

[...] the shape is just weird in my opinion.

Which is why I spent almost €30 on puristic brown grass :wink:

Really nice there mate. I really like the 1st one.. You found 0.95e per brown stem?? Good find! I have only bought 1 at past because I remember them being very expensive.

Very nice landscaping in the first MOC! The dark orange works very well :)

I also like how you created the sand on the stone effect in your second moc :)

Really nice there mate. I really like the 1st one.. You found 0.95e per brown stem?? Good find! I have only bought 1 at past because I remember them being very expensive.

Thanks! Yea, they are expensive but I figured that if I reuse them often enough I will get my money's worth for them anyway. (The same reasoning I based ordering 20 8x8 trans-medium blue plates on :wink:)

Very nice mocs, the dark orange looks superb in the landscape :thumbup:

Nice double freebuild, great!

Two very nice vigs Gideon. At first glance I thought that first build was LDD!

Nice vigs Gideon! I do like the landscaping- I'm a fan of that dark orange, I wish I had more!

Very nice landscaping in the first MOC! The dark orange works very well :)

I also like how you created the sand on the stone effect in your second moc :)

Two very clean cool builds :) I like the 1st one with the luggage on the camel. Works really well :)

Thanks! Glad you liked the dark orange, I originally got some of it to use for Nocturnian turf but it actually works at least as well in Kaliphlin. Expect more of that!

Nice! It looks good!might we be seeing more of this merchant?

Thanks! You might, considering he is my LoR sigfig :wink: I try to make most of my builds there able to be cross-posted as GoH freebuilds, which is one of the reasons I joined Loreos there.

Working on a third build in this series now, as I used these as two of the three "Merchants Guild Apprentice" builds there. (Now onto "travelling through difficult conditions" which will be a desert).

Nice work here Gideon, like the use of dk orange! Though I honestly don't think the canopy design is too realistic, it does look pretty good!

Cool builds, Gideon - I think you just singlehandedly raised the market price for those camels by 23 %! :tongue:

Nice work here Gideon, like the use of dk orange! Though I honestly don't think the canopy design is too realistic, it does look pretty good!

Thanks! Might be true, I was trying to go for a texture rather than the standard alternating colors.

Cool builds, Gideon - I think you just singlehandedly raised the market price for those camels by 23 %! :tongue:

Too bad, I was just about to look for a couple more as the dark tan ones look better than tan camels. :wink:

But in a non-tan setting I think I can use those as well.

Edited by Gideon

I thought cross-posting was generally frowned upon, even as free builds?

Either way, very nice build. I love the cargo camels and clean landscaping. You're one of the masters of desert scenes, Gideon!

I thought cross-posting was generally frowned upon, even as free builds? ...

I don't recall that being the case... or maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, I've done it several times...

Seconded, the Dark Orange is a really nice color to use as ground, and the camel pac's a re well bricked! Good use of minfig parts as the merchant!

Thanks! Yea, they are expensive but I figured that if I reuse them often enough I will get my money's worth for them anyway. (The same reasoning I based ordering 20 8x8 trans-medium blue plates on default_blink.gif)

Ofc man... They worth it 100%. You just have to buy them once and after that each time you use them you feel happier. Same goes for me with my x8 red and white plants when I use them :)