LordDan

Freebuild: Loading the Wagon

14521031963_ffdf102255.jpg

Loading the wagon by lorddan413, on Flickr

Lord Dan and his trusted team of knights load up their wagon in preparation for a long, and potentially dangerous journey across Avalonia. They are headed to Legoawyr, the territory claimed by Lord Dan, which is still unexplored and has no known inhabitants, save for a few tiny communities along its edges. Since venturing into unknown territory is a tedious undertaking, the group must be well supplied, bringing along essentials such a food, weapons, tools to start building a settlement, a small fraction of Lord Dan's gold( you never know when a small bribe might be useful) and other gear.

The wagon itself, while not the most elegant wagon ever, is very practical. Build of wood and reinforced with metal, the wagon is a small mobile fortress, and will be the group's base as they travel the countryside. It has a useful boarding ramp which can be raised while moving or during an attack, deck space to carry supplies, mounted crossbows for protection, axes conveniently located on the sides to quickly clear obstructions ( or enemies), spears positioned to block the back ramp or to be rotated facing outward when encamped or when under attack, and an inclosed room for storage or shelter. It incorporates the Avalonian colors of dark green and a tiny bit of sand green. Unfortunately, this large and well armored wagon is very heavy and it requires at least two horses to pull it and frequent stops for the exhausted horses.

14497539841_9c4fd05ef1.jpg

loading the wagon 2 by lorddan413, on Flickr

14521042573_7f590fc139.jpg

loading the wagon 4 by lorddan413, on Flickr

14500948905_b2732bcb25.jpg

wagon 1 by lorddan413, on Flickr

14499628544_b0c80451fd.jpg

wagon 2 by lorddan413, on Flickr

14314292200_71fef5b204.jpg

wagon 3 by lorddan413, on Flickr

Additional photos are on my flickr

Edited by LordDan

I really like how you are making a story out of claiming and exploring your new lands - can't wait to see more!

One wonders if that wagon will end up being tested in battle... You never know, with all those drow around!

Brick on

/Bregir

Nice little wagon. As for photography however, you should look into a background and better lighting (less shadows). A good start however :thumbup:

Ah man, this wagon takes me back. I remember as a kid my go-to Lego character when playing with friends was a warrior-merchant with his own huge wagon full of weapons and treasure. They always looked a bit like this. I guess that means my reaction to the build is that there's room for improvement, but I like the rough feel also.

I really like how you are making a story out of claiming and exploring your new lands - can't wait to see more!

One wonders if that wagon will end up being tested in battle... You never know, with all those drow around!

Brick on

/Bregir

Something tells me it will...( I've actually made and photographed a tiny skirmish involving the wagon I will probably post that tomorrow but I am planning an full scale battle, which I already made the minifigs for and I'm going to try to incorporate the wagon, maybe a raid the the wagon while it's camped?

Nice little wagon. As for photography however, you should look into a background and better lighting (less shadows). A good start however :thumbup:

It was evening and the artificial lights looked bad and I wanted to get the photography done then so that's the bad lighting. I was hoping to incorporate it into the story.

Something like they are loading the wagon late in the evening so they can leave early the next morning

Ah man, this wagon takes me back. I remember as a kid my go-to Lego character when playing with friends was a warrior-merchant with his own huge wagon full of weapons and treasure. They always looked a bit like this. I guess that means my reaction to the build is that there's room for improvement, but I like the rough feel also.

It looked really rough initially and I was unsatisfied with the look so I tried to add a more realistic feel, the curving of the roof, the side armor on the cabin, etc. I was, however, very happy with the wheels and bottom support, which was totally sideways building and the way it fit in well with the top

Nice wagon LD. :thumbup: I think they should have enough weapons for their journey though. :sweet:

I love the way you've made good use of what pieces you do have. Like using the bottom half of the boulder piece as a food container. It shows good ingenuity. The things you need to improve on have already been mentioned so I'll just say that I like the way you are starting out here. Way to go!

Nice beginning Lord Dan! The wagon certainly looks as though it has everything one could possibly need. (does it have a kitchen sink? I would have laughed to see that loaded into the wagon! :laugh: ) At this stage i would recommend working a little on your presentation - try to photo your mocs with even natural light if you can, and invest in a white or other neutral colour background (2 bits of card or a sheet do nicely) to photograph against.

Man, that wagon is SICK! As in awesome. Love all the weapons, as always.

Also, a little more landscape would definitely spice up your models.

Edited by SPARROW THE CONQUEROR