On the great lake of the Trifork, where multiple rivers meet, Beorthan has joined the vessel Swiftsure on a patrol. From the deck of the ship he greets two elven traders, approaching the city with their cargo....

switsure_scene.jpg

The Swiftsure is a "Ship of the Isles" commisioned by the city council of the Trifork to patrol the lake, which shores the city stand on. It is larger than the typical "Ships of the Isles", but maintains the speed and grace of the smaller patrolcrafts normally travelling the narrow channels between the Mystic Isles. This was a requirement from the start, as a swift and manouverable vessel with the capacity to sail the lake, as well as the deep sea was needed.

Its speed, together with the shallow draft and sleek hull, allows it to follow most other ships and boats whereever they may go to escape, while the broad fighting platforms fore and aft gives it the necessary punch in a fighting situation. Normally, its main purpose is customs and rescue duty, but if necessary, it will be able to hold its own against almost any other vessel traversing the lakes and rivers of the Trifork.

fore.jpg

The Swiftsure is rigged as a Xebec, allowing it to hoist both square and lateen sails on its long booms. Thus, with the right rigging and an experienced crew, it will be fast both before (with square sails), and when tacking close to the wind.(With lateens.)

Further, it has oar propulsion, giving it great speed and manouverability in still weather. The oars are driven by three oarsmen through a clever Mitgardian gear mechanism with leg powered boost function, allowing the oarsmen to really put their backs into it when needed.

aft.jpg

At the back, a large rudder gives the vessel the necessary steering power to be effective both at high and low speeds, and allowing the Swiftsure to turn in a very short radius.

crowsnest.jpg

Apart from its crew of well-disciplined sailors (and their experienced captain) the vessel is armed with a powerful ballista, able to fire a deadly bolt almost halfway accross the lake with reasonable precision.

Any comments and critiscism is welcome. I quite liked how this one turned out, but I am always interested in improving!

I would like to claim UoP Credit for "Trade and Law": "Shipping by sea/Water".

May the brick be with you

Bregir/Beorthan

+1 UoP DoH for Trade and Law. Nice work, the ship looks very sleek and I like the ballista in front. Some sails might help though

Very interesting shape Bregir! I really like the idea of the "leg powered boost" for the oarsmen. The colours really stand out too - especially the red stripe at the waterline and the oars. :thumbup: It would be cool to see it all rigged and under sail though.

UoP +1 for shipping by water - i'll give it to you for the addition of the elf cargo boat, although i guess you could also say that the patrol boat is also shipping justice? :wink:

Neat little ship, the ballista is awesome looking! Nice background info on your ship too!

Nice vessel and the masts look good! Though, in my opinion, the colors of the ship should vary a bit from the color of the water, at least in shade of blue. This way, the two things are more clearly defined. :wink:

I'll also give you +1 for shipping by water. I held off for a while because the Swiftsure doesn't really look like it has much space for cargo, but you did include the smaller boat with cargo so I suppose that makes up for it.

+1 UoP DoH for Trade and Law. Nice work, the ship looks very sleek and I like the ballista in front. Some sails might help though

Thank you - I agree about the sails - but for a first ship, I dared not. :look:

Alternative explanation: During a recent skirmish, the rigging where damaged, and have been taken down for repairs. As the Swiftsure is mainly patrolling the lake for now, the sails are of little importance, so operations have not been halted for now. :sadnew:

Nice boat! Might need a little more work on the stern area though.

Thank you - Care to be more specific about the stern? (Is that fore or aft, anyways?) :cry_sad:

The middle does look a little skinny. If it were a person, it would need a sandwich!

Its sleek to ensure high top speed and manouverability. I'd like a sandwhich too!! :tongue:

Very interesting shape Bregir! I really like the idea of the "leg powered boost" for the oarsmen. The colours really stand out too - especially the red stripe at the waterline and the oars. :thumbup: It would be cool to see it all rigged and under sail though.

UoP +1 for shipping by water - i'll give it to you for the addition of the elf cargo boat, although i guess you could also say that the patrol boat is also shipping justice? :wink:

Thanks - glad you like it! :sweet:

About the sails - yep - but for a first shipbuild I didn't dare. :tongue:

Thanks for the credit - That was my point too - that as a customs patrol boat, it is definitely related to shipping by sea.

Neat little ship, the ballista is awesome looking! Nice background info on your ship too!

Thank you, ME. I am quite happy about the balista too.

Nice vessel and the masts look good! Though, in my opinion, the colors of the ship should vary a bit from the color of the water, at least in shade of blue. This way, the two things are more clearly defined. :wink:

Oh, but when it dashes out of the fogs unseen, smugglers have no way of escaping! :wink:

Cool little ship, I like the oars and mounted ballista :thumbup:

Thank you, sir!

I'll also give you +1 for shipping by water. I held off for a while because the Swiftsure doesn't really look like it has much space for cargo, but you did include the smaller boat with cargo so I suppose that makes up for it.

As I wrote above, I thought a customs patrol ship would be eliglible for shipping credits :laugh: