Sign in to follow this  
DuckBricks

Some Advice needed...Cloud City Moral Dilemma.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for some advice on a sort-of LEGO related topic... I have two cousins who each gave me a complete Cloud City set back in 2005... I didn't know the value and gave one full set to my best friend, who is now in his Dark Ages. As for the other, I completely demolished it and distributed the parts to my other friends... My only remnants are the Cloud City Luke and Leia...

Anyway, I mentioned that my friend is in his Dark Ages. Do you think it would be rude to ask for it back? I'm sure he doesn't remember that I gave it to him...

Thanks for the advice,

legozebra

If he's in his dark ages, why would he care? Don't say something like, "I would like that back," go more for a, "remember that Cloud City set you had...?" And then talk about how cool you thought it was and inevitably he'll ask if you want it. :classic:

...Or you could just gut it up and do a mass search for the pieces with a printed inventory. I did that last year along with a couple other sets using Bricklink. It took a bit of effort but it was rewarding to be sure!

Edited by montyofmusic

Are you sure he still has it? If he's in his Dark Ages, he could have given the set away at a White Elephant gift exchange one year.

If he's your friend, and he doesn't even remember it, I don't see a problem with him asking for it back.

ask for it back , tough he probably sold it on e-bay long ago , and if not get his lego and give him a beer when u go out

If I were you, I'd be honest about it and ask him if you could have it back because at the time you gave it to him you had no idea how much it is actually worth to collectors. It's the most mature way to deal with it. If you don't tell him and he finds out later, this is will definitely impact your friendship negatively.

Depends. If you want it back to build it and enjoy, I'd say just ask for it. But if you're looking to make money, I'd be upfront with the value.

If I were you, I'd be honest about it and ask him if you could have it back because at the time you gave it to him you had no idea how much it is actually worth to collectors. It's the most mature way to deal with it. If you don't tell him and he finds out later, this is will definitely impact your friendship negatively.

I would thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend that you don't do this. If you tell your friend that you essentially want a gift back because it's more valuable than you thought, experience has told me that he'll be disinclined to give it back and probably choose to sell it himself. Plus, if he thinks that you only want it back because it is worth something, he'll probably think you're self-centred and inconsiderate. Trust me, asking for the set back because you want to sell it is not a nice thing to do. Really, it's not. What you'd be doing there is inadvertently making it clear to him that you think you deserve the money from the sale more than he does.

To save his feelings and increase the chance that he'll actually agree to give it back, just tell him that you love the set and it used to you great happiness, and knowing that he doesn't use it any more, it would mean a lot if he were to return it to you. Tell him that he's a great friend afterwards, of course.

You don't say if you are intending to sell the set once you have it back.

If this is the case, I would be honest with your friend and offer to cut him in for part of the takings. The set is currently worth much, much more than it was worth when it was in production, more than enough to keep you both happy. If it's your intention to keep the set for a collection, then again I suggest you are honest with your friend and offer to buy him something that he collects/wants in exchange (within reason of course! :wink: ) If he refuses or doesn't have the set anymore, well that's his decision, you did give the set to him in the first place.

I personally would always take the honest approach, it leads to fewer problems in the long run.

And, chances are we are getting a new cloud city in the not-to-distant future anyhow :classic:

I would thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend that you don't do this. If you tell your friend that you essentially want a gift back because it's more valuable than you thought, experience has told me that he'll be disinclined to give it back and probably choose to sell it himself. Plus, if he thinks that you only want it back because it is worth something, he'll probably think you're self-centred and inconsiderate. Trust me, asking for the set back because you want to sell it is not a nice thing to do. Really, it's not. What you'd be doing there is inadvertently making it clear to him that you think you deserve the money from the sale more than he does.

To save his feelings and increase the chance that he'll actually agree to give it back, just tell him that you love the set and it used to you great happiness, and knowing that he doesn't use it any more, it would mean a lot if he were to return it to you. Tell him that he's a great friend afterwards, of course.

All I'm saying is that it's your best bet to be honest about your motives when ask to get it back, because any other route is likely to stain your friendship down the road. So, if you tell your friend you want it back because you like to build it, but sell it later and your friend finds out how much it actually is worth, there you go - trust is compromised. At the end of the day, only legozebra knows said friend, and only legozebra can make the call. I don't have anything more to say on the subject.

legozebra, I also vote not to ask for it back. Nothing good will come of it.

Although horribly overpriced and highly prized, if you just want Cloud City to play/display, try rebuilding it from spare parts. If you still have some of them, it's a great start.

Minus the huge landing platforms I built Cloud City 10123 last year out of spare parts and it was a very rewarding experience to use the official instructions and change bits here and there. It's not that many pieces, so Bricklink if you can!

If you just want to resell it for value, those figures you mentioned may still have great value. Look them up on eBay to get some ideas.

Just man up and ask for it back :wink: . He probably doesn't even want it anymore. Don't worry about hurting your friendship because if it can get hurt by something as small as a toy than he wasn't a very good friend :classic:

Going all the way back to the original question, asking to get the set back is not rude. You don't want to deceive this friend, though, because sooner or later the truth will come out and make things mighty uncomfortable. And even if you only want the set to sell it, I wouldn't worry too much about his deciding to sell it himself once he learns the price. If it were me, I think I would give the set back anyway, reasoning that it originally belonged to you and you had done the work to find the sale opportunity, so the profits really belonged to you; keeping the set and selling it myself would feel like stealing from you.

Not only you should ask for it back, but since he's in the dark ages you should ask for all his lego!

It seems that you have been very generous with your Lego in the past but sadly If you give something it is rude to ask for it back. How would you feel if your cousins asked for their gifts back? Also consider that if your friend gave Cloud City back he may come out of his dark age in the future and ask you for 'his' Lego.

Your best option would be to be honest with your friend and offer to buy it back for a fair amount. There's a very good chance that once you make the offer he will give it you anyway (unless he's really in need of some cash).