Sign in to follow this  
Fender Bender

The Triton's Vengeance

th_indexed.gif 30a

Heya guys! I've been watching this forum for quite a while now, and finally I've managed to build a ship to show you :)

So this is my first MOC ship. She is modeled after a 17th century English warship like the Prince Royal or the Sovereign of the Seas (only smaller)

She carries 34 standard lego cannons, as well as a few smaller, swivel ones. Four masts (the sails and rigging are on their way). Her colour scheme is vaguely based on the BSB, with a little tribute to PotC's Flying Dutchman at the bow :) She is built out of the standard wide prefab hull with six mid-sections.

I would have posted a picture, but my extremely limited proficiency with computers is in the way (a little help, please?)

Comments/critics/reviews are welcome.

My brickshelf folder

Edit Bonaparte: Picture resized and added.

dscf0014.jpg

Nice ship . there is something i would change it it was my ship. the front of the forecastle is to steep i think and the red shutters should be gone. would look better with the same kind of window as on the sides. but a sweet ship. althoug it no real ship( a real ship has 3 square rigged masts and this look to have at least one fore and aft rigged mast. :-D ) and why has you put on 4 masts? think the three "main" masts look good enough. or did the ships you had as inspiration have 4 masts? i Really like the captains cabin. nice details on the stern. *sweet* *wub*

Well... The three square rigged masts are a fairly modern invention. As far as I know, ships up until the late 17th century carried four masts, the fourth and smallest at the stern is called a bonaventure mast. And they did have lateen sails :) .

As for the forecastle I agree it looks a bit to squareish. However, I believe that is how ships looked at that time. If you take a look at Dead man's Chest you'll notice the bow is similarily shaped.The red shutters.. they are at the moment covering up the fact that there are no windows 8-| I'll order a few from BL once i can get my hands on some dubloons :-D same thing goes for the empty gunports

The pictures are somewhat blurry, I know, but I'll try and see if I can get a few better ones in a small while.

Welcome Fender!

This is very nice for an introductory ship!!

I like the detailing on the stern from behind. The red shutters don't quite fit, but I can understand having them there when you are missing 2 latticed panes (there appears to be a one latticed pane in each window)!

I also like the chasers low on the stern and the side windows on the cabin!

If you keep MOCing I anticipate your skills will only improve as will your ships!

Again welcome to EB!!

If you want feed back anything in particular let us know! and check out the recently moved sail tutorial for sail making if that is the next step!! It is located now in the great library of Honduras, or just follow this link by clicking on the photo!!

Cutout.jpg

I think this is a major achievement for a first ship!

You certainly have great potential and are most welcome on our forum.

We have a Batch Image Resize Tutorial for resizing pictures so the all fit nicely in a thread and are easy to watch with a "not-so-fast-internet-connection".

The stern sections is really a work of art! It looks very good.

You are right about the bonaventura mast, but I believe the were used till the late 16th century, and not the late 17th centry...

The front looks abit blocky, but that's no problem. The rectangular shapes of lego bricks forces us to build ships blocky...

Nice ship!

Mr Tiber

Well... The three square rigged masts are a fairly modern invention. As far as I know, ships up until the late 17th century carried four masts, the fourth and smallest at the stern is called a bonaventure mast. And they did have lateen sails :) .

Well that depends... there had always been three mast ships around while there were four masts. the four mast rigs are primarily used on Spanish galleons of the period. The basic heavy warship was usually three masts.

Here be picture of those inspirational ships that Fender Bender was talking about:

The Prince Royal i think it was also renamed the HMS Resolution, not sure though.

hmsprince10.jpg

The Sovereign of the Seas and the wiki article

T5416_b.jpg

This is a good looking ship for a first MOC *y* Very impressed.

It would appear by the coloring of this ship you're a Black Seas Barracuda (or BSB) fan and that you at least one on of them. X-D

Should check out the Review of the BSB. ;-)

The main thing i see with this MOC is that it's lacking the Tumblehome Effect above the waterline.

P

Greetings Mister Bender!

This is a very fine effort forst your first MOC ship. Have you done much MOCing of other types to gain the necessary skills to enable you to build such a magnificent ship?

Hi again and thanks for all the comments!

that sail tutorial of yours is really excellent, sails coming up!

yep, I am a bit of a fan of the BSB. It was the only really big pirate ship i managed to get my paws on before the theme went out of production. I also have two Imperial Flagships. The Vengeance was originally built merely as a BSB redesign but luckily i stumbeled across the remains of another BSB in a friend's basement, and he curteously donated the parts to the cause *sweet*

tumbelhome aye... again I had to sacrifice it due to lack of bricks. I figured i'd have to place a really large order to get enough tiles/slopes to build it... it wouldn't fit in with my budget and savings 8-(

My dad used to own that model of The Sovereign of the Seas in your picture phred ;-) While I grew up he went on and on about sails this and Dutch-Anglo war that, and he's also a big fan of lego :-D

I've made a few castle MOCs in the past, but I think they have been destroyed during moving etc... I'll see if i can find something :)

Welcome to Eurobricks!

You made a very impressive ship, I particularly like the use of the Diversets' panes used on the sides of the cabin, it looks just right.

30079.gif

Keep up the good work! *y*

that sail tutorial of yours is really excellent, sails coming up!

Thank our beloved Evil Willy for creating it... Before the dark times...

Thank our beloved Evil Willy for creating it... Before the dark times...

Now he probably only cares about girls and beer X-D

Sails will be the last thing on his mind...

Ah well... He'll learn his lesson the hard way... We should start taking punts at what age he'll return to us...

But lets get back to Mr Bender's MOC for the time being.

I have a question for Mr Bender: I realise you have piece limitations, but if you didn't would you consider adding a Triton to figurehead to the ship? I think such an addition why tie-in with the ship's name, although some may tell me its too literal.

hmm, yeah maybe I should. The design of the figurehead was fairly difficult to decide on, so it could still be subject to change. However it leads me to the question; What is a Triton?

As far as I know it could either be a sort of merman or a roman sea god who made storms with his harp thingy. So far, the ship's name is more a reference to the sea god than a merman :)

I would have to make him out of bionicle parts (for some reason I don't like using minifigs for figureheads, guess I'm weird that way), but that would make him too large 8-(

You guys have any suggestions for a different figurehead?

You could try using pieces from this Harry Potter set (if you have it):

4762-1.1125858535.thumb2.jpg

You could have that mermaid with a spear as the figure head.

P

hmm, yeah maybe I should. The design of the figurehead was fairly difficult to decide on, so it could still be subject to change. However it leads me to the question; What is a Triton?

A Triton is species of mollusk.

250px-Charonia_tritonis.jpg

Triton, however, is a Greek God, who was the son of Poseidon (god of the sea) and Amphitrite (goddess of the sea).

merman.gif

A Triton is species of mollusk.

250px-Charonia_tritonis.jpg

Triton, however, is a Greek God, who was the son of Poseidon (god of the sea) and Amphitrite (goddess of the sea).

merman.gif

Yeah... Merman... hmmm... well I tried a mermaid on the Arbiter II. It is part minifig though and I wouldn't say it is awesome or anything... Is there a shirtless minifig torso with some massive ab mussels? You should also use the long Professor Dumbledore for hair!

Well as it turns out the best torso is the same Harry Potter one...

973pb111.gif

all right, small update.

I visited my countryside house (where the ship is docked) to add a few things and take some more pictures. The sails are right now just pieces of paper that I cut out (rather roughly and unceremoniously), mainly for illustration purposes, but also to check out how it would look when finished.

Not really aesthtetically correct but practical. What I found was that the sails on the foremast were.... puny, compared to those of the mainmast.

So I guess I'll be redesigning yardarms next time >8-)

I also snapped a few shots of the crew as well as the interior of the captain's cabin. I found the piano/clavichord thingy in one of your indexes *y*

The barrel poking out of the deck in one pic is actually part of a simple yet effective mechanism to easily run out the guns on the lower deck by turning it left or right :)

check out the folder guys! :)

Edited by Fender Bender

F.Y.I. I think whenever you are referring to a post or that contains a photo or a link to a folder on another webpage or even in a post that is several post above the current post, you should put a link in the post to the folder and image too!

I will do that for your convenience here.

p6100079.jpg

And here is a link to the gallery

Brickshelf Folder

As for the MOC. I think you are right, the main mast's sail do appear to be a lot larger. The main sail (also known as courses) may be a little too low as well. I might also make the sails on the rear of the ship a little bigger. Maybe make the yardarms on the lateen rigged sails (triangular sails) more vertical so the sails could be "longer" and fuller looking.

It is a good job for a first attempt though, I definitely had some issues the first time I tried to make sails.

Here was my first and second attempts at sails on the Arbiter II. As you can tell practice always seems to make the work go more smoothly. Click the links to see the differences if you find it useful...

27.jpg_thumb.jpg 32.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZCerberus