Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhand

First GoH MOC (Cottage in the Woods

Since I just joined GoH, I thought I'd post a build I did over the weekend, since someone said I should post some back story builds of my sig fig. If there was a challenge I should/could post this in, I'd like to.

Anyways, without further ado, here's a cottage in the woods of the lands of Sir Brychan Cedry of Avalonia -

c823a3e7-bfa8-4e9a-87e6-207e34dfd617_zps63f748c7.jpg

95f5f1ea-d2b0-447f-95c2-8b9edc43c958_zps3d540ff1.jpg f5b89f52-d870-4c4d-9873-0874befb0d89_zps71ef1a09.jpg

f30f4034-9097-4567-83f2-42a3b2346709_zps01fa270d.jpg 503173a9-1fd7-4df8-af61-ac2e6a1082ca_zps361b6344.jpg

I hope the pictures are the right size. There's more pics of the interior/details in this link (I didn't want to have to resize a whole bunch of pics) - http://s889.photobuc.../?sort=3&page=1

Edited by Hammerhand

If this is something you just throw together over a weekend I want to see what you can do with more time on your hands! (I also want to know how you get something so amazing built in so short a time, what magic are you using? :tongue: ) There are a few technique things to improve on, but for your first ever post for GoH this is incredible!

If this is something you just throw together over a weekend I want to see what you can do with more time on your hands! (I also want to know how you get something so amazing built in so short a time, what magic are you using? :tongue: ) There are a few technique things to improve on, but for your first ever post for GoH this is incredible!

Thanks! I was inspired by various builds I've seen of similar type with the landscape/house, so I decided to try my hand at it. I'm not to happy with how the cobblestone wall of the house turned out, but It was my first time using that technique, and I ran our of 1x1 round studs.

If I could change one thing about it though, it'd be not accidentally making the house an uneven number of studs long... And I'd make the lower floor interior wall smooth, since it looks kind of ugly on the inside. Oh well.

nice first MOC Hammer. having a nice exterior and interior is tough, it is something I have been working on and feel I have only captured once in my builds. maybe try building brick walls or a tile paneling method inside the cobble stone walls if you want to clean up the interior walls.

Looking forward to your next build.

Great start Hammer! The landscape with the river as the highlight is perfect! I really like that you included interior and as Mikey saus it´s tough having a nice interior and exterior! But I think you have managed both of them great!

Maybe add some 1x1 round plates to the ground and road. Right now it feels kind of barren..?

And please, get Flickr instead so I can favourite your mocs! :thumbup:

Very good start, the build is way better than the regular GoH newcomer level :classic: I really like that house and would not mind seeing more of those trees.

Suggestions for improvements are to make the ground more detailed as previously mentioned, and to try to take sharper pictures.

That's pretty great, especially for a first one. I always liked little details which are new to me; here my favourite is the fireplace with the mudguard piece.

Great start Hammerhand! The trees and half timbering are really nice but for me the highlights are the fireplace and candle stick. Mikey B is right about the stud walls. Building for photographs is hard because all the gaps show up very conspicuously, the usual solution is a double row of bricks for walls. I look forward to more from you

:classic:

nice first MOC Hammer. having a nice exterior and interior is tough, it is something I have been working on and feel I have only captured once in my builds. maybe try building brick walls or a tile paneling method inside the cobble stone walls if you want to clean up the interior walls.

Looking forward to your next build.

Thanks MikeyB. I'm definitely gonna try something different next time with the walls... Thanks for the ideas!

Great start Hammer! The landscape with the river as the highlight is perfect! I really like that you included interior and as Mikey saus it´s tough having a nice interior and exterior! But I think you have managed both of them great!

Maybe add some 1x1 round plates to the ground and road. Right now it feels kind of barren..?

And please, get Flickr instead so I can favourite your mocs! :thumbup:

I agree, I need to make the road more road-worn. Haha. About Flickr, I may get it in the future, but I didn't want to have to get a Yahoo account to set it up... I may give in eventually though, since I like how it's set up better than PB.

Very good start, the build is way better than the regular GoH newcomer level :classic: I really like that house and would not mind seeing more of those trees.

Suggestions for improvements are to make the ground more detailed as previously mentioned, and to try to take sharper pictures.

Thanks! I guess I do need to take better pics. It was my first try with photographing legos though, so hopefully I'll be able to improve and learn some new techniques. I can take some more of the trees if you like, though they aren't anything amazing. Making pine trees out of legos is hard. :tongue:

That's pretty great, especially for a first one. I always liked little details which are new to me; here my favourite is the fireplace with the mudguard piece.

Much appreciated! I'm rather partial to the fireplace myself. :sweet:

Great start Hammerhand! The trees and half timbering are really nice but for me the highlights are the fireplace and candle stick. Mikey B is right about the stud walls. Building for photographs is hard because all the gaps show up very conspicuously, the usual solution is a double row of bricks for walls. I look forward to more from you

:classic:

Thanks for the complements! I'll have to remember to do a double row if I do this wall technique again. And I can't take credit for the candle idea, since I actually got the idea from someone here on EB. :wink:

Great start to GoH! Awesome work. Love the house.

Thanks Lord Vladivus!

Very nice way to make an entrance! That house is quite good. :thumbup:

Thank you. It was probably one of the best houses I've done. :laugh:

Really like the landscape, and the house is very well done, great start! Looking forward to you're next moc :)

Thanks, I'll try to have another MOC on here soon, if time allows for it.

Edited by Hammerhand

This is definitely one of the better debut GoH builds. I'm looking forward to what else you can do!

That cottage looks great, inside and out :thumbup: The landscape is also good, I'm looking forward to seeing some more builds from you :classic:

Great 1st GoH Moc Wow... Very cool house design and nice interior too. As people said more small plates to the ground to add texture and it will rock!

Thanks for the nice comments and ideas guys. :classic: I'm about to start working on another MOC, so hopefully I'll have it on GoH in not to long.

Awesome first GoH MOC Hammerhand! I love the house with all the textures and the interior. I also like that you used curved and wedge plates for the path, that looks way better than just normal plates :thumbup:. The whole ground could use some more foilage, but that's more a problem of parts than a problem of building skills.

So great job on this and brick on!